Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Scholarships
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:15 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Good evening all
I’m in the process of applying for a GIA scholarship. Just wondering if anyone here has been successful in obtaining a scholarship or has any experiences worth sharing.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Scholarships
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 am 

I'll be honest and say that I did apply but didn't get it back when I was first trying to get into gemmology. If you're heart is set on the GIA then go for it as I've heard it's a good program but if you're just looking to learn gemmology from a recognized source then I know the Gem-A and CGA courses are a lot less expensive but still high quality and comparable to the GIA.

Here in Canada the CGA and GIA are exactly equivalent for almost everyone's purposes. Personally I actually ended up identifying more than twice as many stones with the CGA than I would have with the GIA correspondence course so I would say it was actually a better experience in my opinion but maybe that was just me. The nice thing for the CGA is that they're partnered with Gem-A so when you're a CGA member you can write the Gem-A exams and get qualified through them as well. There's a little preliminary work to it admittedly but you don't need to take the Gem-A course so it depends on what you need/want the course for in the end.

Good luck either way and hope you get the scholarship.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am 
Gold Member

Sparkles66 wrote:
Good evening all
I’m in the process of applying for a GIA scholarship. Just wondering if anyone here has been successful in obtaining a scholarship or has any experiences worth sharing.

Thanks

I know many people who have successfully gotten scholarships for the GIA course. GIA is very aggressive in trying to encourage qualified people to apply for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:51 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Anyone heard heard any results/successful applicants from the scholarship program?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Yes.
The successful ones I've heard about received partial reimbursement for tuition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:07 pm 
Valued Contributor

Sparkles66 wrote:
Anyone heard heard any results/successful applicants from the scholarship program?

Over the past few years, GIA has awarded roughly $2 million dollars annually in scholarships, so yes. :wink:

There are two scholarship cycles per year that you can apply for. The first cycle this year was specifically focused on Distance Education enrollments and has been completed. There will be another application cycle later in the year for 2022 enrollments. You can find more information here:

https://www.gia.edu/gem-education-schol ... nformation

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message and I'm happy to help.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:11 pm 
Gold Member

I encourage you to apply. One of the students I am tutoring through the Distance Learning program just received notice of a generous scholarship award this week. It will enable him to complete his GG course this year without interruption. He is thrilled and very grateful.

The scholarships are real and available. Take advantage of the opportunity.