Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Question about GIA Color Stones Final
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:30 am 
Established Member

Hi Niki,

I took this test via distance learning about a year go. As Trace says, if you can answer the questions at the end of each assignment, you'll be fine. Just take the time to read the questions carefully. As I recall it wasn't too difficult. Good luck!

Ros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am 
Established Member

Hey everyone,

This may be a stupid question but, when the colored stone final is "proctored" does that mean I can basically go to my library (providing my library can become an approved proctor) and I sign online as I normally do, and I take the test? Will I get an immediate grade when I am finished, or do they mail me something? I am seriously losing sleep over this final. So much to remember.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:29 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

JahJah4ds wrote:
Hey everyone,

This may be a stupid question but, when the colored stone final is "proctored" does that mean I can basically go to my library (providing my library can become an approved proctor) and I sign online as I normally do, and I take the test? Will I get an immediate grade when I am finished, or do they mail me something? I am seriously losing sleep over this final. So much to remember.

It is a lot to remember, but congratulations on getting this far. =D>

It's been a long time since I took those, but based on the way it was back then, so to speak, a librarian will have to agree to proctor the exam. When I took it, these were on paper and the exam was mailed to your proctor. If it's online now, then most likely your proctor will sign off on a statement saying that you didn't use any unauthorized materials during the exam, the proctor supervised the exam, etc. My proctor had to mail my exams back to GIA for grading, so I don't know if you get an immediate grade on the computer.

Oh we also had to supply two choices for proctor, and GIA made the choice. Again that may have changed.

Good luck. [-o<

I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm 
Established Member

Thank you so much!!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:27 pm 
Established Member

Hello,

They send you a list of approved proctors that you can use and they have to complete a paper to send back to be approved. The proctor is sent information and logs you onto the final exam on the computer. Once you complete the exam online in the presence of the proctor, you get your grade immediately. The proctor signs off on the computer and the paper and they send it back to GIA.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:49 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Just took the test last week, and passed!

Here are some tips:
1. The Final Exam is basically 100 items of multiple-choice questions, the same format as the Questionnaires at the end of each chapter.

The time limit is 2 hours, more than enough time to answer each question, plus reviewing your answers as many times as you like.

2. Study the following:
a. Key Concepts
b. Key Terms
c. Questionnaire Answers

Yes, 27 Chapters is a lot, but the key is memorising and retaining as much info as you can, because you never know which question will come up.

3. If the course completion deadline crept up on you (like it did for me!), and you're in a rush to take the Final Exam, you can search for flash cards online to help you study. But if time allows, taking all the notes down by hand, which I did, will be a huge help in memorisation.

All in all, it took me about a week and a half of concentrated studying to get a passing grade. As expected, I didn't pass with flying colors, because I crammed everything, but it got the job done.

Best of luck!