Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Question about GIA Color Stones Final
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:27 pm 
Established Member

Hi everyone!

It's been a couple of years since I took a Gia final test. I took my color stones essentials test last year and now my big Colored Stones Final exam is coming up in January. Is the test format the same as it was in the past where it's multiple choice questions based on the quiz questions in the back of each booklet, along with vocabulary words and caption information?

In the past I thought it was very helpful to make sure I knew the information that surrounded the quiz questions in the back of each booklet.

Anything change with tests? Any other suggestions for studying?

Thanks so much!
Lucy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 pm 
Valued Contributor

From what I remember it was the same basic questions as the chapter tests. Nothing that hadn't already been tested on. I don't think a single person in my class failed or got lower than 80%, so you should be fine :)

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Same format Lucy. You can have someone test you by quizzing you on the Key Concepts, Vocabulary, and quizzes at the end of each lesson.

Good luck!

I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:06 am 

HI Lucy,

did you do your final test on colored stones yet? Please let me know. I am half way through my studies and should do my test in the next month or so.

Would be nice if they could split the 27 chapters into 2 tests, instead of just a final one for the whole course. Lots of things to remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:18 am 
Valued Contributor

Just study the questions from the back of the book, they are almost identical to the ones on the tests

Post subject: color stones final
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:55 pm 
Established Member

Hi everyone, I took the test and there were about 10 questions that I just didn't know. I just felt like I had never seen the information before. The rest of the questions I thought were easy. I knew all of them immediately. However, I just got my grade in the mail and it was only an 83%!!! I was shocked. I feel like something is wrong. I knew all of the other questions, no doubt. The last GIA final I took I scored a 98%. I'm really disappointed. I know it's still a B but I think it kind of sucks. Anyway, it's over now so that's good. Thanks for the support everyone!

Besides reading and studying be sure to study all the info surrounding the concepts, vocab, and questions in the back and you will do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:34 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Congratulations on passing Lucky. :smt002

I'd like to be able to say "don't be too hard on yourself," but I completely understand. I was the same way. The tests do get progressively harder, and it's important to read the question carefully to make sure it doesn't say which of the following "is not" instead of which of the following "is" and other traps like that.

Thanks for the update.

Post subject: color stones final
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 pm 
Established Member

Yes, I was thinking there might have been a few questions that, although I knew the info, I may have read the question too fast and missed the "not" and things like that. I don't know. Oh well, it's fine. I'm just glad I'm moving on to diamonds.

Thanks again!
Lucy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:21 am 
Established Member

Lucky,
Congratulations! I had a similar experience with my Diamonds & Diamond Grading exam (I am a distance ed student too). I had prepared for the exam by going over the key concepts, vocabulary and the study sheets for every section....even re-taking the end of section tests several times. I thought I was well-prepared and would ace the exam. WRONG!!! I too only got a B. When I wrote to my instructor to ask for feedback on what I missed, so that I could learn from the mistakes and not make them again at a later date, she replied that it was GIA policy not to provide feedback on their exams!

WHAT??!?!?!?!?! Isn't that the purpose of education...to learn and learn from mistakes? That can only happen, imho, when one knows where the mistake was made. Is this the policy at GIA campus' too---to NOT provide students feedback on exams? If not, the distance ed students are at a disadvantage and being discriminated against. I think this is a serious flaw with GIA's distance education program. Kelli

Post subject: yep
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Established Member

Yes I know. I hate to say it but GIA makes it obvious that they prefer no communication at all with distance students. It's embarrassing for them. Of course campus students can go over the exam with their professors. Why wouldn't they be able to? Well I'm glad you passed your exam. What are you moving on to next? I'm doing the final diamonds course next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:30 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I think the biggest issue is protecting the exams. The questions are somewhat protected by the proctor process, but allowing you to go over the answers with a proctor I suppose it considered too much of a security risk.

I believe the education you get is good, but to echo your feelings I also feel that customer service toward their students is terrible. On the other hand, I suppose indirectly it does weed out the weaklings. If you're going to become a gemologist and be a G.G., you'd better have the mindset to be able to find the answers and solve problems on your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:13 am 
Established Member

Lucky---am currently in the middle of Colored Stones course and will take Gem ID next. I have always been more fond of colored stones than diamonds...but I really enjoyed the Diamonds & Diamond Grading Course---hope you do too.

Trace,
Ditto. I understand GIA wanting to ensure that exam materials are not shared by unscrupulous students.....but I feel very strongly that GIA paying students, even those studying from a distance, have a right to know where they made mistakes. I'll get off the soapbox now! Thanks, Kelli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

kelbat wrote:
Trace,
Ditto. I understand GIA wanting to ensure that exam materials are not shared by unscrupulous students.....but I feel very strongly that GIA paying students, even those studying from a distance, have a right to know where they made mistakes.

Don't get me wrong Kelli. I agree with you. For the cost, I think at the very least a discussion with your instructor is somewhat entitled. They should at least take a few minutes to make sure you didn't just misread the questions by talking to you and perhaps direct you to where you might want to go review.

Post subject: Re: Question about GIA Color stone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hey Guys just wanted to know about color stone essential exam what kind of question they ask is it difficult.
I am a distant education student i have no idea and its my first course.
anybody else doing distance education course.

Thank you
Nid

Post subject: Re: Question about GIA Color stone
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:42 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

nidhikothari wrote:
Hey Guys just wanted to know about color stone essential exam what kind of question they ask is it difficult.
I am a distant education student i have no idea and its my first course.
anybody else doing distance education course.

Nid

Hi Nid:

Congratulations on finishing Color Stones Essentials. It's been a long time since I took that class, but I doubt much if anything has changed. It's a very basic class, so if you did the lessons you should be fine. Go back and use the quizzes from each of the lessons as your study guide. If you know the answers to those, you should do well on the final.

Good luck.