January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Yep, it can be done!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:07 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yesterday the GIA told me I passed my final exam in their Graduate Gemologist course. It is a huge relief to be officially finished! Thank you God!

To be honest, my enthusiasm is a little subdued. I am keenly aware of the fact that I could have, and should have, finished the degree much sooner. I started it around 7 years ago while my wife was in grad school at the Univ. of Florida. Life, and more than a bit of my innate laziness, got in the way. Thinking back, I realize it took me 7 years, 3 states, and 4 mailing addresses to get it done. :oops: I would have been a better candidate for the GIA's residence course. It wasn’t until the Lord taught me a little something about stewardship of opportunities (especially ones I've already paid in full for) that I got back in gear and pushed for the finish.

It is strange, I feel more confident and capable in the world of gemology today than I did yesterday, though nothing has changed in my knowledge or skills. It is amazing what external affirmation will do for one’s outlook.

I wasn't going to post this here, but in talking with Snizzy (who shared her excellent notes with me) I realized that maybe someone might be encouraged by the fact I was able to finish the course. If you have been letting the coursework sit on your shelf unfinished -- decide to get it done and get to work! You can do it! It feels great to get it done and not always having to say "No, I'm not a GG, but I'm working on it..."!

<><

Last edited by Peter Torraca on Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Peter, that is a great incentive!
If it inspires one person to dust off their books, I think you have accomplished your mission.

I remember reading in a Dear Abby column when I was a teenager, a letter from a woman who said she had always aspired to be a pediatrician. Life threw her some curves and she was never able to finish college. She'd worked in part time jobs as a cashier. Now at 55, she was asking Abby whether or not she return to college and go for it. She would be 65 before completing course work and residency.

Abby replied, "In 10 years, God willing, you'll be 65 regardless. Would you rather be a 65 year old doctor or a 65 year old cashier?"

For some reason (obviously...cough cough) it's stuck with me. It is NEVER too late. Go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:54 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Congratulations pt! That is a wonderful accomplishment no matter how long it took. I myself am trying to make up for lost time and many times wish that I had had more focus, discipline and confidence when I was younger. But it all comes together when it is supposed to I guess. And now we must make the most of it.

I am so glad that you stuck it out and that you are here in this forum sharing what you have learned with all of us (especially me!). Celebrate and enjoy this moment. You deserve it!

Cheers!-Carrie

:smt002

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:58 am 
Platinum Member

Congratulations pt, well done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

PT, What great news... =D> dilly gents and perskaverantz (as my Nephew says). got you through.

Congratulations!!

The Smashing Pumpkins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:49 pm 
Gemology Online Übergod

Congrats! :smt038

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:05 pm 
Gold Member

You are an inspiration to me, Peter. Congratulations!!! :smt042

Quantum Mechanics...the dreams stuff is made of. :smt047

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:52 pm 
Gold Member

Thanks for posting, Peter!!

WHOO HOO! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! =D>

I am very excited for you! I know what a great feeling it is to get that phone call saying "You're a G.G.!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:32 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Yes indeed, congratulations and luck wishes, Peter!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'd like to add my congrats to all the others ....WELL DONE

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:53 am 
Valued Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS PT!!!!

Im sorry I missed this the day it went up. Ive been so involved with my new apprenticeship I haven’t had time to sneeze! ( just did get back to doing my gem ID this week)

Im really happy for you , as I know very well how hard your worked to get your GG, and how much you really deserve it. I know you’ve helped me out a lot in gemology and in life.

Fantastic, I cant imagine how great it will feel when you hang your parchment on your wall!

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:20 am 
Valued Contributor

Barbra Voltaire wrote:

Abby replied, "In 10 years, God willing, you'll be 65 regardless. Would you rather be a 65 year old doctor or a 65 year old cashier?"

Barbara , thats a great dear Abby story. And like Peter, I too know its not to late. Many times I wish I would have started working on it earlier, but still, its better late than never.
Since I started my apprenticeship at the ripe old age of 44, I have had many night wondering why didnt I pursue it this seriously when I was a lot younger.
The bad part is that Ive been so wrapped up in my apprenticeship, I havent touched my Gem ID in weeks! And being I have been working on my GG for the past 5 years and Im this close, I should be going through stones like a quarry.
If anyone is interested, I started my own little spot in the Blog world.http://2bjeweler.blogspot.com/ . That ugly scary person, is me on it. I started it mostly to keep friends and family updated on how things are going in my transition from Gimp to Gem Pimp and Jeweler ! :lol: I can honestly tell you, I have a long and difficult road ahead. But Im having a great time traveling it!

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:38 am 
Valued Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS PT!!!!! :smt038

Post subject: good job
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:29 am 
Established Member

Peter,

Congratulations on the GG. It took me a long time to get the GG also. I had to file for extensions of time for the ID class as I was out of the country. GIA is good in that they will work with you.

Kevin