National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Employment
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:43 am 

I'm just curious what other GIA grads or students do or plan to do with their education in regard to gemology in the business world. Is anyone going through the GIA solely because gemology is a hobby?

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

Post subject: Re: Employment
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

amommj wrote:
Is anyone going through the GIA solely because gemology is a hobby?

I have a friend who went through most of the courses just for her own enjoyment. She's took all the AJP courses, and is a Diamonds Graduate. She also took the Colored Stone course and did the Colored Stone Grading Lab, but stopped there. All she needed to finish her G.G. was GEM ID and the GEM ID lab, but decided she didn't need that much abuse. :mrgreen:

I'm only here because my flux capacitor is broken.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:11 am 
Established Member

I am actually curious about other students responses to this ? aswell. I want to take the bench jewelers course but I would have to be on campus for that certification. It's hard to leave new Orleans for that long with 2 kids and a wife that works aswell. I plan to use the knowledge I aquire with my previous experience to pursue a career in that aspect of jewelry. I'm actually thinking of maybe taking one of the distance education courses now due to my situation but I have no idea how, what or if I can get a job down here with one of those choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Admin

May I suggest reviewing the job postings listed on GIA's site:
https://www.gia.edu/_webapps/education/jobsearch/

Truthfully, the cost of the education far outweighs what one can expect to earn in the beginning as a graduate.
Folks pursue this out of passion.....or, at least they should. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:08 am 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
May I suggest reviewing the job postings listed on GIA's site:
https://www.gia.edu/_webapps/education/jobsearch/

Truthfully, the cost of the education far outweighs what one can expect to earn in the beginning as a graduate.
Folks pursue this out of passion.....or, at least they should. :wink:

I agree, one should pursue this career out of passion Barbra. But you still gotta eat :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

My point is, getting a degree or certificate of completion in other fields will often have higher compensation and perhaps, better opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:51 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Replying to the question in your duplicate thread about bench jeweler's income, I can see why one might believe that a bench jeweler would make more, but the sad truth is that it's working with your hands and at least in this part of the country you'll find that just normally is not going to be the case. I personally started out as a bench jeweler and love it, but most any experienced bench monkey will tell you the real money is made out on the sales floor. Like I mentioned above, it's working with your hands, and much of the bench labor in the Texas market is being farmed out to illegals who work for pennies on the dollar. The custom work is there if you can get it, but just for a point of reference, the guys in my area that are doing air conditioning repair are getting $70/hour and up and the guys that work for them are making more than twice the $15/hr figure you mentioned.

As Barbara referenced most people get into jewelry as a passion, but as you pointed out you still have to feed your family.

I'm not knocking GIA's bench programs, but I think you'll find most bench jewelers (myself included) learned the business by sitting down next to another jeweler. Perhaps that may be an option for you that would allow you to stay in town.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:58 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
My point is, getting a degree or certificate of completion in other fields will often have higher compensation and perhaps, better opportunity.

I understand that Barbra but I was asking specifically about a bench jeweler. Anyway thanks for your helpfull info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 am 
Established Member

MacGyver wrote:
Replying to the question in your duplicate thread about bench jeweler's income, I can see why one might believe that a bench jeweler would make more, but the sad truth is that it's working with your hands and at least in this part of the country you'll find that just normally is not going to be the case. I personally started out as a bench jeweler and love it, but most any experienced bench monkey will tell you the real money is made out on the sales floor. Like I mentioned above, it's working with your hands, and much of the bench labor in the Texas market is being farmed out to illegals who work for pennies on the dollar. The custom work is there if you can get it, but just for a point of reference, the guys in my area that are doing air conditioning repair are getting $70/hour and up and the guys that work for them are making more than twice the $15/hr figure you mentioned.

As Barbra referenced most people get into jewelry as a passion, but as you pointed out you still have to feed your family.

I'm not knocking GIA's bench programs, but I think you'll find most bench jewelers (myself included) learned the business by sitting down next to another jeweler. Perhaps that may be an option for you that would allow you to stay in town.

And thank you sir. It's really disappointing to hear that's about what a bench jeweler amounts to. It's not easy to find a descent paying job doin something you love to do. Oh well

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Nofd1977 wrote:
Barbra Voltaire wrote:

I understand that Barbra but I was asking specifically about a bench jeweler. .

As was I.
Bench jewelers in SF Bay Area usually make Burger King wages.....unless they are top of their game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

One other thought came to mind. Since you're only a couple of hours away, you might consider registering for Stuller's annual Bench Jeweler Workshop:

http://www.stuller.com/benchjeweler//workshop

This is more geared toward bench jewelers with some experience, but it could be a great networking opportunity, and as I mentioned before most bench jewelers learn the trade by sitting down next to another bench jeweler. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent idea, Trace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 am 
Established Member

That does sound interesting Trace but it does seem geared more towards experienced bench jewelers. I think I might be able to learn something to take home though. And like you said meet new people. Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

I recently spoke with the mechanical watch technician at a major store.
He suggested an apprenticeship for those who wish to learn the trade,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:09 pm 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I recently spoke with the mechanical watch technician at a major store.
He suggested an apprenticeship for those who wish to learn the trade,

Ms Barbara, I would love that but I'm afraid there are no watch techs in new orleans that would take me as an apprentice. I will check my local jewelry stores though. All they can do is say no. Thanks again for all your great advice