January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Which GG program?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm 
Established Member

I really want to get a GG degree but I'm torn between ISG and GIA.
I think ISG is far more comprehensive but I think consumers only "recognize" GIA ... What do you think.
My focus is colored stones - not diamonds. I'll still take diamond courses but my Focus is color ;)
thanks for your opinions,
Liz

Post subject: Re: Which GG program?
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

GIA's courses are the most recognized AND the most comprehensive currently.
For colored stones, Gem-A is also excellent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:26 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I was once in the "how do I do this thing & with whom?" quandary and wondered why GIA hadn't figured out how to convey this essential difference more . . . well . . . PLAINLY. I scrutinized the respective web-sites, of course, but -- from the perspective of a TOTAL NOVICE [not ignorant in general, dare I say, but ignorant about what was significant when looking for ANY kind of on-line / distance education], it took me a while to understand that, while GIA may be pricier out of the gate, the education was excellent, and their *industry reputation* did not rest on one individual.

I'm not entirely sure that I have any wonderful suggestions for how GIA should market their GG program -- heaven knows they spend a pretty penny on all the glossy brochures -- but honestly, that sort of glitz has no effect on me other than to think they could charge me less if they hadn't spent so much money wooing me by mail . . .

I'm starting to understand that there is a lot of "you get what you pay for" in the gem world :lol: and this is true with education AND microscopes! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 pm 

Why not both? Starting with knowing everything that any of them will teach before you sign up, using the all past issues of G&G, all gemology books available, all related threads, buying, owning and using all gemology equiptment available to a non-scientific laboratory student on a reasonable budget?

As someone planning to go to the G&G for diamonds, and gemology I have determined that indeed there will be things to learn. But, how long it takes to learn these things and actually apply and rememeber them involves a timeframe much longer than the actual courses. It seems that first you become a gemologist, then you get the title later, keeping up to date on all the news and technology and maybe specific processes that you could not get details to without the courses.

I sure am not spending money on coursework until I know I will pass with ease, have master sets, microscope, inclusionist text memorization and application, the works.

Starting with atlas of inclusions, gemology equiptment, and strict memorization of everything pertaining to all gems is almost a precursor.

These aren't real colleges. This is gemology, the big leagues. The stuff you'll need to remember your whole life, stay up to date your whole life, and not forget a thing. An evolving trade in the technological era. You forget to keep up to date, you lose your life's savings.

With that being said, you will still need to send your gems to the GIA or other highly trusted labratories whether you attended or not.

So, which certification would you choose? As many as possible, starting with the most important. But the the most important is that you start studying gemology far before you attend in my opinion. Reading throught the last 100 years of G&G back issues. There are back issues from the 1930-40's that have helped me understand basic gemology branchings, and stuff they got explained in different ways down the roads.

So, investing in every resource you can get your hands on will pay off. Textbooks are not just textbooks. They may have a list price of say 300.00 USD, but what it really should say is "Will save you x amount of hours, x amount of dollars, x amount of frustration in understanding, x amount of slick tips, and is really worth say 1,000,000 USD.

I thank all authors of any gemology text authors, organizations, and participating members who contribute to this highly valuable information available to a 21st century student. All tool manufacturers, software engineers, technology innovators who haved paved these roads so darn smooth for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 am 
Site Admin

If it was up to me, I'd attend every gem program offered in the world.
Why not? $$$$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 am 
Valued Contributor

I would recommend the GIA GG program. (I may be a bit biased, but even if I wasn't, I'd still recommend the GIA GG)

The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the his employer.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 pm 

I'm also interested in getting making a training/course to learn more about the grading of diamonds and gemstones. What kind of course can you recommend me? I'm actually a layman and not familiar with the topic but for my business operations it make sense to gain more knowledge to that topic. I was told GIA offers this two week- seminars. Is the GIA degree only for people with a gemological background? Thank you! I don't plan to become a professional gemologist (I'm happy and successful in my job) but I would like to get more into the topic.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

There is no better professional decision you could make within the US to go with the GIA....if you are serious about pursuing a career in out field.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Currently taking GIA GG courses on-line. I spend 2-3 hours per assignment including the quizzes. Straight forward information with plenty of extra material to absorb. I work a 12hr job 6-7 days a week. I have completed the 2 essentials courses and 10 assignments in the diamond grading course since August. They have a payment program if you don't want to pay all of the tuition cost at once. I don't think it matters what course you choose to start you will eventually want both.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:46 am 

I am currently enrolled in the GIA GG program. I have completed my AJP classes and the Pearls course. I am doing distance education and the only issue I have come across is that I am NOT an apple owner and my classes are only able to be opened on my laptop. Life would be easier if I could open it up on my phone or tablet and study while I work my full time job and raise three children during the day. But no one said life was easy. And this is my only issue, so the choice was easy for me. Maybe i should switch to Apple? Good luck!

Ps!!!I took the cheap classes first. The essentials and the pearls, it made more sense to me to pay a little to decide which area sparked my interest more and even though colored gems, pearls and diamonds are deadlocked as I love all beautiful things, it just showed me I was heading right where i was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:29 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Amber. I was wondering if you were still around or flashed in and gone.
I see you are in Minot, just next door. I'm about 1/2 way through the colored stones course work. Already completed the AJP and diamond grading but have not set up for Labs.
The issue I have with them is they must be pd up front and they are scheduled so you can't take them back to back. So that means I have to schedule 2 trips to San Diego. Oh well.
Glad to see someone close by running the course. Dan & Sally Holland , Stanley, ND