January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA diamond grader job question
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:58 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

In getting a job as a diamond grader with GIA, is the "paid training" specific to the job or is it the actual diamond graduate class or is it the entire GG program?

I don't have the job, only interviews in April, but, whether I am hired or not, I want my GG diploma. I would start taking classes now if I knew the job didn't train through the whole program. I'm not swimming in money, though, so why pay for something that might be paid for me.

I'm only looking for a matter-of-fact answer to my question, not advice.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: GIA diamond grader job question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:20 pm 

I'm sorry that I can't offer much because I'm just a G.G. student myself. But my impression is that they will train you with more specific areas of the diamond evaluation process, so it'll touch upon most areas of the Diamond Essentials & Grading course, but it won't be exact. You'd most likely delve deeper in the area of grading, weight estimation, simulants, and synthetics. As well more applied tool usage. But you won't have much of a focus in pricing or market demands. Our instructor is a G.G., but she still had to take more training sessions in order to teach the diamond course. My impression is that they'll only train you in what you need to know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:51 pm 
Established Member

I do not know if GIA is going to train you in the history, geographic & economic sections, but I agreed to the part that GIA is going to "deive deeper in the area of grading, weight estimation, simulants, and synthetics. As well more applied tool usage". In the Liddicoat library, there are a lot of in-depth video recordings & reading materials in each subjects/gemstones I wanted to borrow or research into, are restricted to staffs only. I suppose GIA wants their staffs to maintain some competitive advantages against the rest of the diamond graders around the world.

The regular Diamond Grading program is just mentioning there are types of synthetic diamonds, with a brief introductions of each type in the online course work; as well as giving you a 30-minutes lesson (with hands-on) in the lab session. I do believe you will gain more in depth knowledge (with real experts around you to answer your questions) if you take the offer.

I have just done some research -- GIA seems to pay your tuition for the online version of Diamond Grading Diploma ONLY:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jan ... -carlsbad/

Sunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:54 pm 
Established Member

Oops! There is a second page on the website... my bad :wink:

Q: What can the diamond grader do after completing the curriculum?

A: They can choose to go on and become a graduate gemologist, they can choose to go into the jewelry arts program, they can do anything across the whole gamut that GIA teaches, all free of charge. They can also go into the industry, such as being a diamond sorter for one of the online retail companies, or work for a local jeweler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:30 am 

Thanks Sunny,

The website and your second post was exactly what I was looking for.