Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA DiamondCheck
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:00 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi All,

First time posting here, not a gemologist yet, just started my GG journey.

I was tasked by my company to find out if the GIA DiamondCheck is a machine worth investing in and i truly lacked the experience to know.

We are a jeweler retailer and manufacturer and our concern are melee diamonds that we buy in bulk.

Could anyone advise me if the machine is worth it's value? We are concerned that there will be too much false negative. Have anyone been using the DiamondCheck and if you have any comments?

I really appreciate it if anyone could provide some insights.

Thank You!!

Post subject: Re: GIA DiamondCheck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:46 am 
Site Admin

HI,

i got a demo of the unit in Vegas last year and id love to share some considerations.
GIA decided to provide the unit by an extremely simple software interface, in brief, its yes or not, where not means, please refer for further analisys. i Think GIA intent was to release a very simple unit anyone can use. the problem here is that IF you wanna follow this path, you need to leave to the computer (algoritm, software) the absolute decision...........stealing Mikko thought, its just like to let a computer decide if a woman or man is pretty or ugly, without giving other options. this can work but, as you say it can led to a number of false negative since, unfortunately for this kinda stuff, the world is not black or White, you have a number of different shades of grey in between. Another approach is to provide the user for the info and let he decide IF the stone must be referred for further analisys. in this case the operator should have the skills to interpret the results and, man, we are tlaking about damn specific skills. In the latter case very few people could be able to positively operate on the unit
I think the ideal solution IS to share the duty between the machine and the operator, of course this would led to have an operator with some skills but, an appropriate training could likely reduce drastically the issue about the false negative/positive.
one last thing about melee......the stone must be manually placed on the sample stage, it's not practical to do it with a melee parcel and, the very last thought of the day, i'm really not so sure there's a serious issue in the melee range.........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:16 pm 

Thanks! That is a great way of looking at it! Letting the computer decide whether someone is pretty or ugly!

There are some intense equations and factors that go into whether things are pretty or ugly! A Figaro chain can transform any man! Its just that magic of a design!

Gemology, goldsmithing, and the art of jewelry creation is a pretty good example.

After all, some people like their curves a little different than other people like their curves and there some ugly curves out there, beware!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:56 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thank you for everyone's input, now it's looking forward to selecting the right candidate to be a melee diamond feeding hand for the day. 8)