January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Can you request a Transcript from the GIA?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:29 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi, as the question stated above suggests... I was curious about whether the GIA is like a typical institution where I can submit my transcript for a job position. From my impression there isn't a ranking system for students, but the grading criteria still looks a little informal because it's not very specific. Also, are top students recognized for their effort?

Post subject: Re: Can you request a Transcript from the GIA?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:15 am 
Established Member

Hi Loupey,

I'm sure the GIA will tell you what they can and can't give as transcripts if you contact them directly, but I'm wondering if you're missing the point a little here.......... I'm currently working on the Gem Identification distance learning course, so I've already completed the Colored Stones. For distance learning, I'm not sure how the GIA could be sure that any work you submit is all yours, so they don't try to monitor it: all the quizzes are open book and online, so it's up to the student how they learn the material. The final exam is closed book and proctored, so however you choose to learn, if you pass it, you've achieved the level of knowledge required.

Now on to Gem Identification: I'm learning as much from the MISTAKES that I make as I do the assignments as I am from the stones I identify correctly the first time, if not more. That's the point: you learn from your mistakes. I think that the number of mistakes you make during this course depends on your background: have you used instruments like these before? Are you familiar with taking measurements? How much relevant science have you studied and understood before starting the course? So, I don't see the point in the GIA giving out transcripts for the coursework: it's supposed to be a learning process and if you are going to ace every assignment, why would you need to take the course in the first place?

Also, for distance learning, some things take longer. Even with the instructors bending over backwards to help me, it just took two email exchanges to sort out something I was doing wrong that would have taken less than a minute if the instructor had been in the room watching what I was doing. Is there really any point in putting that kind of thing on a transcript?

There is only one way to pass the final (proctored) exam for Gem ID, which is identify every single stone correctly. So, the pass mark is 100%, and every student who passes achieves this. Passing the exam tells a potential employer that you have reached a specific standard with your gem ID skills; does it really matter what your path to reaching that standard looked like?

I'm sure others may have different opinions to mine, and I'm not at all sure how different the campus taught courses are to the distance learning ones; we're back to where we started, which is perhaps this is a question to ask GIA directly?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 am 

A copy of G&G with your name in the G&G Challenge Awards wouldn't hurt in a interview.
Heck, wouldnt you just ask your interviewer if their name or the owner's name were in any of them, and move on in the interview?

I guess I'd like to know the answer to your question if they do offer some kind of ranking, etc....

But for now, it seems that the G&G challenge with your name on it wouldn't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:51 am 
Site Admin

May I say, that receiving a GG is only the first step in becoming a competent gemologist.
As an employer, I would not be influenced by a name on the G&G Challenge Awards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:10 pm 

I agree Barbra. GIA gives us the tools but how we use them is up to the individual GG. And the GG means nothing unless you keep up with new developments in the gem world (esp treatments).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:33 am 
Valued Contributor

thinslicevolta wrote:
But for now, it seems that the G&G challenge with your name on it wouldn't hurt.

At the risk of being contrary, and as someone who has had my name in the G&G Challenge list, I find that it has almost zero to do with gemology, and almost everything to do with reading comprehension and looking up articles in G&G/searching PDFs. :smt101

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:33 pm 

Loupey-at my request GIA emailed me a letter stating each part of the GIA curriculum I had completed and the date(s) of completion. I provide a copy of this letter to clients who wish to verify that I am a Graduate Gemologist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

That's an excellent idea, Nancy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:47 pm 

Hi, thank you all for your responses and feedback. Sorry for not clarifying, but I am an on campus student in New York. I understand earning the title of GG doesnt guarantee expertise in the field, but I was mostly curious because having a GG (and the progress invested in it) can be that selling point which can set two candidates apart to be selected for a position at a company. I only ask about the ranking because I feel like there's a big difference between a student who grades 120 stones (core requirement) and a student who grades 260. So while both earn 100% should one be acknowledged for their achievement? As stated by another commenter, it would be best to ask the GIA directly. But I wanted some initial feedback to see if asking this sort of question would be realistic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Isn't it a function of the skill, not the quantity?
One can misidentify 1000's of gems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm 

I meant with all factors being equal. But the point is whether people with exceptional skills can be identified in a classroom setting that is the GIA, or if you have to get lucky to land a good job. That was the reason for asking the original question. I understand that "quantity" is not an indicator of skill, but I'm trying to see if applying traditional school standards could work with gemology

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Research the jobs currently available for GIA grads.
Their website is a good source.
You will see that the pickin's are not that impressive.

If one has connections in the biz, there chances of landing a good job are better......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:34 pm 

Loupey getting 100% on the 20 stone final is "the achievement ", not how many stones you identified in the process....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:45 am 
Valued Contributor

Loupey wrote:
Hi, thank you all for your responses and feedback. Sorry for not clarifying, but I am an on campus student in New York. I understand earning the title of GG doesnt guarantee expertise in the field, but I was mostly curious because having a GG (and the progress invested in it) can be that selling point which can set two candidates apart to be selected for a position at a company. I only ask about the ranking because I feel like there's a big difference between a student who grades 120 stones (core requirement) and a student who grades 260. So while both earn 100% should one be acknowledged for their achievement? As stated by another commenter, it would be best to ask the GIA directly. But I wanted some initial feedback to see if asking this sort of question would be realistic.

All current GIA gemology courses are simply Pass/No Pass. Letter grades or other methods of specific grading are not recorded or available.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer