A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Colored Stones Elearning questions
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:22 pm 
Gold Member

JahJah4ds wrote:
Actually, now that I think of it....
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the tools necessary for the Gem ID class? … Any suggestions?

Before you spend any money for instruments, get and read the "Guide to Affordable Gemology." Barbra sells it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Why, yes, yes I do.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:49 pm 
Valued Contributor

JahJah4ds wrote:
Hey everyone!!

My main question is the final. I am in Vermont, and will be taking the proctored final at some point. I understand you can take it 3 times. If you don't pass your first time, do they give you the same test the second time? I am just wondering if I am EVER going to be able to pass it. Anyone taken this test and had to take it more than once?

thank you :)

Each test will be different, however you only need to correctly answer 75% or higher in order to pass.

JahJah4ds wrote:
Actually, now that I think of it....
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the tools necessary for the Gem ID class? I see that we can purchase them on the GIA student store website for $2,490. OMG :shock: Tell me there is another option that is not so expensive? I have found others on Ebay but they have not be recommended when I send them to my instructor for approval. Feeling stuck as there is no way I can afford that student ID kit. Any suggestions? #-o

As a student you would be eligible for the student discount of 12%, however this is still a significant cost. Keep in mind that a large portion of that is the microscope which is not a required instrument, so you can order items individually including non-GIA equipment as long as it meets the requirements necessary to perform the testing in the course (the refractometer being the main instrument with specific features needed, most other equipment is fairly standard across reputable manufacturers).

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am 
Established Member

Does anyone know if there is a COLORED STONES final exam practice exam? LOL Kinda like the PSAT of the SAT's? THX :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:29 pm 
Established Member

When I prepared to take the Colored Stones final exam, I reviewed the Key Concepts, Key Terms, and Questionnaires. Re-reading all of the lessons several times and then studying the above items I mentioned should more than prepare you for the test. As Barbara and others, myself included have stated, we all passed it the first time. Try not to stress out and continue to read and learn the material. You will be surprised how much you know when you take the test. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Don't second guess yourself by over-complicating the identifications.
If you stumble on a doubly refractive gem, with an RI around 1.78 and are lucky enough to get a uniaxial figure with the conoscope, trust it is corundum, not don't bother to turn it into a possible painite. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:35 am 
Valued Contributor

JahJah4ds wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a COLORED STONES final exam practice exam? LOL Kinda like the PSAT of the SAT's? THX :)

The answer to this is no, practice exams are not available. However, you are permitted three attempts to pass.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:16 pm 
Established Member

Hey everyone!!

Just wanted to say thanks again! Since I posted this I have taken and PASSED the color stone final. I have also taken all three lab classes in Carlsbad and fell IN LOVE with the campus and everyone I met! My instructors were amazing and I wish I could have stayed longer! I LEARNED A TON! At this point, all I have left is the Gem ID course and I will be a GG! Well, I should say after I pass the 20 stone final. I am sure I will be posting questions about that eventually as well, LOL but for now, just wanted to say thanks and ask if anyone has used equipment they want to sell? Just need the stuff for Gem ID.

Thanks in advance!

Janelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent Janelle. =D>