January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gem ID Online Course
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:07 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I am a correspondent student at GIA, and im pursuing my GG. I'm will finish the color stones online class before summer, and I'm hoping to get through the bulk of the Gem ID online class during the summer. Is that possible given the number of stones that are required in that course?

When I asked about it at the nyc diamond lab, my instructor didn't seem to know much about the online courses. I've thought about taking a week to go to Carlsbad and getting through as many stones as I can. I'm sure it helps tremendously to have an instructor there as well!!

Can anyone who has experienced the Gem ID online course weigh in?

Post subject: Re: Gem ID Online Course
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:48 am 
Established Member

Hi,

I finished the last assignment of Gem ID online about a month ago. I would say that hoping to complete it in one summer is quite optimistic. After assignment 10, you need to submit a worksheet for marking by your instructor. These are dealt with in strict order of receipt, and the waiting time for a reply has varied from overnight (not very often) to 7 or 8 working days (thankfully this didn't happen very often either, just once or twice when they had a deluge!!). From what I remember, average time was 2-3 working days. Given that you should probably get the feedback from the assignment before you continue (although at one point I was working one assignment "ahead" so that I would always have a worksheet in the line), it will slow you down a little. Also, towards the end of the course I found myself doing more reworking than at the beginning, and of course each time you have to resubmit the worksheet it goes in line again. You might be able to get ahead if you're able to visit a workroom: I don't know what their marking policy is if you are actually in Carlsbad for some of the time!
Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the course as much as I did :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 pm 
Established Member

You really want to give yourself enough time with each stone set as your instructor will provide feedback as necessary. It's important to really understand the Gem ID process and take your time with the stone sets and not rush through them. It is very tempting as it was for me to rush through and finish. I had to slow myself down in order to understand what I was seeing and identifying and making sure I was completing the work sheets thoroughly as required. It also did get harder as the sets went along, as we had to have fewer and fewer mistakes until the last few sets offered no help or feedback. It really comes in handy when you are preparing for the 20 Stone Final Exam. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

Any amount of time that you are able to spend in a student workroom on campus will be beneficial. Not only will an instructor be available to assist with your testing and procedures, your work will also be able to be graded upon completion. Keep in mind that it is a skill development course, so it will typically be slower in the beginning as you learn to use the equipment and at the end when the grading criteria becomes more strict in order to prepare you for the final exam.

If you have any additional questions about the course, you can always reach out to your assigned primary instructor for assistance.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:20 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Thank you for all of the helpful replies!

Does anyone know how many stones come in one box? I thought 20 stones came in a box, but now I'm not sure. If GIA requires 480 stones to be identified, 48 boxes seems like a lot of back and forth! I've also heard of students requesting two boxes at one time, which I'm hoping my instructor will be amenable to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:37 am 
Established Member

Hi,

For me, the first 20 stones came in one shipment. These stones were for the first 10 assignments. After that, all of the rest of the stones came in one more shipment (a rather large box, but all of them were of course sorted and separated into each individual assignment!). BUT, I'm an overseas student, so it may be different if you are in the US.

When I was deciding whether or not to enrol in the course, the tutors at GIA were very helpful and responded quickly to my questions. You might get a better answer if you ask them directly!

all the best,

Ros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:41 am 
Valued Contributor

Taylor1006 wrote:
Thank you for all of the helpful replies!

Does anyone know how many stones come in one box? I thought 20 stones came in a box, but now I'm not sure. If GIA requires 480 stones to be identified, 48 boxes seems like a lot of back and forth! I've also heard of students requesting two boxes at one time, which I'm hoping my instructor will be amenable to.

If you are a domestic student within the USA, then you will receive 25 individual stone sets with 20 stones per set. After the first box is completed, you are permitted up to four sets at a time.

As sparkleross stated, international students receive their 500 stones in two shipments (although they are still separated into 25 sets within the package).

If you contact your assigned instructor they will answer any questions you may have about the course.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer