Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA Graduate Gemologist Online
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:27 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi,
I'll be 18 in two months,I was thinking about applying to GIA G.G online course. Can you tell me how good,difficult & motivational it is? I'm afraid that I'd eventually give up because I'll be staying at home,which will make the time and money spent be a total waste...
I have a few more questions as well.
1.My parents aren't sure about this because its just a diploma and not a "degree", is this the highest level a gemologist can achieve? Isn't there any further studying? and will this be enough?
2.when I checked we can add to cart each individual units that make up the whole course separately, how does all this come together to create the final result at the end?
3.How important are the lab classes because my father is a gemologist here in Sri Lanka and I can easily get experience on the equipment here, how will the lab classes be different? and since I have to go on three separate occasions to USA. Does GIA provide any documents for the visa? & what visa will I be on?
4.what are the career opportunities except buying/selling/whole selling and how much is the average salary?

I asked a lot of questions, some maybe dumb and some maybe difficult to answer. I just want to make sure of everything so I won't be wasting my time and money. So thank you for answering from the bottom of my heart.

Post subject: Re: GIA Graduate Gemologist Online
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:34 am 
Valued Contributor

While it is always good to get outside opinions and information, much of what you have asked can be best answered by contacting GIA directly and speaking with admissions and career services. I have listed some basic info below.

Avviii_C wrote:
Hi,
I'll be 18 in two months,I was thinking about applying to GIA G.G online course. Can you tell me how good,difficult & motivational it is? I'm afraid that I'd eventually give up because I'll be staying at home,which will make the time and money spent be a total waste...
I have a few more questions as well.
1.My parents aren't sure about this because its just a diploma and not a "degree", is this the highest level a gemologist can achieve? Isn't there any further studying? and will this be enough?
Enough for what? What do you plan on using the education for? The GG provides a good foundation for many fields in the trade, but like any degree or educational program time and experience will also be needed to become proficient in your chosen profession.

2.when I checked we can add to cart each individual units that make up the whole course separately, how does all this come together to create the final result at the end?
If you are planning on Distance Education, the GG program is broken up into individual courses with separate completion times to allow for the most flexibility in completing the program for someone who is also working or has other obligations that prevent them from attending full time on campus.

3.How important are the lab classes because my father is a gemologist here in Sri Lanka and I can easily get experience on the equipment here, how will the lab classes be different? and since I have to go on three separate occasions to USA. Does GIA provide any documents for the visa? & what visa will I be on?
It is not required the you go to the USA as GIA has campus locations around the world that offer the lab classes. The closest to you would be GIA Bangkok in Thailand. You can see the rest at http://www.gia.edu/locations . The lab classes are designed to provide practical application practice of the information learned in the online courses. The three lab classes are required in order to complete the GG program, however you can complete the basic Gemologist program without them.

4.what are the career opportunities except buying/selling/whole selling and how much is the average salary?
This is best answered by contacting career services.

I asked a lot of questions, some maybe dumb and some maybe difficult to answer. I just want to make sure of everything so I won't be wasting my time and money. So thank you for answering from the bottom of my heart.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer