A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GIA Distance learning assistance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:31 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

GIA G.G. Program

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a change, and I feel gemology is something I can become truly passionate about. I have been seriously researching programs, and it seems in the US at least if it isn't GIA it won't be accepted.

My biggest issue is location. I am in the Philadelphia suburbs, am married, work full time, have a dog, own a house, etc etc.

If I were to do the full time NYC GG program it would be extremely tough on my family, and borderline impossible. If need be I could move there alone for 6 months, but that's not exactly optimal.

The reason of this post is has anyone here taken the distance learning course?

I have the discipline (taught myself code), what I am really concerned about is education quality.

Will a distance student graduate with the same confidence and skill/knowledge set as an on campus grad? Do you get enough networking in the lab sessions on campus as a student would living on campus (from what I can tell this industry is all connections)?

Affordability and convenience wise distance education would be perfect for me, but I want to make sure if I make this decision it will prepare me the best for the field?

Thank you for any and all help!

Post subject: Re: GIA Distance learning assistance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:00 pm 
Valued Contributor

From the information you posted, it sounds like the distance Ed program is the best option for you. The course content is the same for both residence and distance programs. The only exception are the practical requirements. In residence, students identify ~1700 stones and for distance is is about 500 I think. Both options will give you a solid foundation to build a career on. The confidence that one graduates either program is largely dependent on the effort the individual puts forth. I hope that helps.

The views expressed here are the author's opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of the his employer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:38 am 

Thank you! I didn't realize the distance learners still worked with upwards of 500 stones!

I should be starting soon, and I'm excited to learn more on this forum thank you

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 pm 
Established Member

I completed the distance education courses and they are awesome! They really do a great job of providing information and practical training. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:23 pm 

Thanks so much dbender! We're you able to find work after your GG? How do you enjoy doing what you do?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:48 pm 

DistillingtoDiamonds wrote:
Thank you! I didn't realize the distance learners still worked with upwards of 500 stones!

I should be starting soon, and I'm excited to learn more on this forum thank you

Wondering if you ever completed the course. I recently enrolled into the distance education program and super excited to start.