A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lab classes, proctor and other questions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:01 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello everyone,

My first post here.

I came from the gemstone mining industry in Brazil, and now I'm living in Vancouver (CAN).
The Brazilian company that I'm still working is going to start sending me rough emeralds, alexandrites, rubies and other gems to sell here in Canada.
Because I need to have more knowledge, I'm going to start GG but via e-learning.

Is it possible to do all the 5 e-learning courses and then start the 3 lab classes (Diamond Grading Lab Class, Colored Stone Grading Lab Class and Gem Identification Lab Class)?

How much can I expect to spend with equipment?

Someone from Canada did the exams here with a proctor?

Someone from Canada had problems to receive all those gemstones from Gem Identification?

Really sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance.

Last edited by pasaguan on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Lab classes, proctor and other questions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am 
Gold Member

GIA has an preferred order for you to take the classes and the labs. I think they want you to tyake the GEM ID lab prior to taking the GEM ID course.

The Manager of GIA Distance Learning is a regular member here. His handle is path914. PM him with your questions, and get the best information available. His name is Paul, and he is a very nice guy.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 pm 
Valued Contributor

I don't believe that you will be able to send PM's with only one post, however as Steve mentioned, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

As general information to share as this platform has that intended purpose, we do ship stone sets internationally to many countries including Canada. A local proctor (who meets the requirements of the role) may be used to take your final exams. Currently, the lab classes can be taken at any time during your program, however beginning in 2020, the gem identification lab class will become a pre-requisite for the gem identification eLearning course as we feel that it is important enough for student success to make a requirement. Equipment costs vary widely as we simply list the requirements. You can purchase, borrow or have access to equipment as you prefer.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly at pmattlin@gia.edu.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 am 

Hi everyone,

Thanks Steve, actually Paul already found me here.

Hi Paul, thank you very much for all the information. I didn't know about that pre-requisite thing.
But now I have another question: since we have to complete the gem identification lab class before the gem identification eLearning course, is it possible to attend all 3 lab classes at once? (Finishing one and starting the next one in the sequence). I could save some money on flight tickets this way.

I know that I have to finish Diamond Essentials, Diamonds and Diamond Grading, Colored Stones Essentials and Colored Stones first.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:52 pm 
Valued Contributor

Lab classes are typically offered in a sequence together. You can find the schedules listed by campus here:

https://www.gia.edu/gem-education/lab-classes

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 am 

Thank you again, Paul!

I was thinking about Carlsbad for Lab Classes: a better place to go with wife and two toddlers than New York. Vacation for them and study for me.

Is there a specific order to complete the lab classes? I was checking the Carlsbad dates and most of the time they are in this order: first Diamond Grading lab class, second Gem Identification Lab class and then Colored Stone Grading Lab class.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

The order in which you take the labs is not critical. They are generally offered in the order you mentioned as they are 5 days, 5 days and 3 days as scheduled and this allows the least amount of overall time that a student needs to travel, find accommodations, car rental, etc.

That being said, not all students can take the time to complete them together. Many will take them individually as their personal schedule allows.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:38 pm 

Paul,
Thank you for your responses to all my questions.
I really appreciate the information you have provided me with and the prompt reply.