January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New student here (thinking about GG program)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:33 pm 
Established Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I’m new to the boards and to studying gemology.

I recently completed the three free courses offered by the GIA and would like to go for the GG program. I admit I have little real life experience in this subject but have found it very interesting to learn about personally.

Any words of advice for new GG students or for Distance Education learners (especially during these rollercoaster times)? What have you done after graduating?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: New student here (thinking about GG program)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:18 pm 
Established Member

I’m in a similar spot to you, so interested to also hear.

Currently I’ve been slowly acquiring various gemology tools, doing a lot of online reading, watching the educational videos on the GIA and Gem-A YouTube channels, and practicing my identification skills with various gemstones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think it is a function of what you want to do within the industry in the future.
The GIA is very expensive (in my world) and if you want to work in a jewelry store, be aware GGs are paid peanuts.

If you wish to acquire solid information I recommend The Gemmologist's Handbook. For $49.95 it's absolutely fabulous.
You'll thank me if you download this!

If you have some gemological tools, (I think JackTrick is already on top of this) a great reference is Gemology Tools Professional. I use it every day!

With the quarantine and the pandemic most of us have a bit of extra time to hit the books. Therefore, the GIA Distance Learning would be an appropriate option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 pm 
Established Member

Hi Barbra, thanks for the info! I will look into the book.

Yes, I can’t imagine that a GG will get paid too well working in a jewelry store, but I’ve heard that it’s a starting point for many who would like to get more hands-on experience. Kind of like the first rung on a ladder, if you will, unless there’s another way to break into the industry.

Is there anyone here who works as a buyer, broker, or appraiser?

I am curious about those options... Any advice on getting into those jobs would be appreciated—like what other experiences, skills, or connections would be appropriate?

I just signed up for my next GIA class, starting soon. I have extra time on my hands due to the current state of things, so now is definitely the best time to study.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I am a professional appraiser.
www.sfgemlab.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:47 pm 
Gold Member

Getting a GG is only the start of both your gemology career, and your business career in general.

Working in a retail jewelry store is an easy entry point, but is also the most limited carrer wise.

I know people making a great living as appraisers, dealer, buyers and brokers. All of these depend on your entrepreneurial skills more than your gemological knowledge.

GG is a good base to start from, but ultimately your career success will depend on business skills.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 pm 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
I know people making a great living as appraisers, dealer, buyers and brokers. All of these depend on your entrepreneurial skills more than your gemological knowledge.

GG is a good base to start from, but ultimately your career success will depend on business skills.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Could you expand on how people typically get into those work roles?

And would such business skills be learned on the job or would business classes be recommended?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

Another path for information since you are already a student would be to reach out to the GIA Career Services department. They would be happy to provide additional assistance. :D

Prior to my educational career I made quite a good living in jewelry retail sales (easily equivalent to my earlier background in systems engineering). It just takes some time and working for the right store in the right market. Of course, it will also depend upon your capability in any of the roles you mention. A good foundation in gemology would be of significant benefit IMHO.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:18 pm 
Gold Member

HopefulGem wrote:
1bwana1 wrote:

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Could you expand on how people typically get into those work roles?

And would such business skills be learned on the job or would business classes be recommended?

I think the best place to learn the business side of it is on the job. Find someone who is successful. See if you can get a job at any level and learn the trade and the networks. I don't think any school can teach these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm 
Established Member

path914 wrote:
Another path for information since you are already a student would be to reach out to the GIA Career Services department. They would be happy to provide additional assistance. :D

Prior to my educational career I made quite a good living in jewelry retail sales (easily equivalent to my earlier background in systems engineering). It just takes some time and working for the right store in the right market. Of course, it will also depend upon your capability in any of the roles you mention. A good foundation in gemology would be of significant benefit IMHO.

Thanks so much for your kind response. I will consider reaching out to them. I have some other questions, if you don’t mind?

What is the plan these days regarding GIA lab classes in the US? Are they canceled now, or will they go on as planned with virus precautions?

I’m nowhere near taking the Gem ID class, but how will that class work? I’m assuming it will be a mix of textbook reading and written homework re: the gems. How should the gem sheets be submitted?

Lastly, what inspired you to go from a systems engineer to jewelry? That’s quite a leap! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:30 pm 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
I think the best place to learn the business side of it is on the job. Find someone who is successful. See if you can get a job at any level and learn the trade and the networks. I don't think any school can teach these things.

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:20 pm 
Valued Contributor

HopefulGem wrote:
Thanks so much for your kind response. I will consider reaching out to them. I have some other questions, if you don’t mind?

What is the plan these days regarding GIA lab classes in the US? Are they canceled now, or will they go on as planned with virus precautions?

I’m nowhere near taking the Gem ID class, but how will that class work? I’m assuming it will be a mix of textbook reading and written homework re: the gems. How should the gem sheets be submitted?

Lastly, what inspired you to go from a systems engineer to jewelry? That’s quite a leap! :)

As you can imagine, the safety and security of students and staff comes first. We do have campus locations which have remained open (Taiwan) and others who have opened recently (London), however like everyone else, we are adjusting as necessary during this constantly evolving situation, so it would be best to reach out to your preferred location at the time you are interested in taking the lab classes to inquire about availability.

I would be happy to discuss the details of the courses and my background, however this is probably not the place for it. Please feel free to send me a PM.

* My posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Sadly, not too many job openings right now in the trade, but that would be the direction I would eventually follow.
There is much more to being an appraiser than the GIA teaches you. Appraisal science is a seperate field.
A complete knowledge of jewelry manufacturing, dating and the ability to decipher maker's marks and hallmarks is essential.
One can take a sophisticated course in appraisal science from NAJA and ASA for credentials.

If you're just testing the appraisal waters I would suggest the books by Anna Miller:
Check out some of the titles I have listed here
https://gemologyonline.com/books_appraise.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I would be happy to discuss the details of the courses and my background, however this is probably not the place for it.

The discussion would benefit all in a similar position, Paul. By all means, this is a good place for it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:06 am 
Established Member

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
Sadly, not too many job openings right now in the trade, but that would be the direction I would eventually follow.
There is much more to being an appraiser than the GIA teaches you. Appraisal science is a seperate field.
A complete knowledge of jewelry manufacturing, dating and the ability to decipher maker's marks and hallmarks is essential.
One can take a sophisticated course in appraisal science from NAJA and ASA for credentials.

If you're just testing the appraisal waters I would suggest the books by Anna Miller:
Check out some of the titles I have listed here
https://gemologyonline.com/books_appraise.html

Hi Barbra, thank you for chiming in again. I’ve heard that appraising is a whole different set of studies in itself, and that’s understandable. How long (approximately how many classes) would this education be? Do newer appraisers start off in anything like apprenticeships?

The job market certainly is a concern as of now, but I have a sad feeling that many other industries will be struggling for a while. :(

Thanks also for your book recommendations for appraisals. I have looked into The Gemmology Handbook as recommended earlier and it sounds amazing. It’s already on my personal wishlist ;) Does it go even more in depth than the GIA textbooks? And is it in a printable format?