January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What I would like to see in the Loupe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

I received the latest issue of the Loupe today. Loved the coverage on Dalan Hargrave’s lecture at GIA on Gemstones. His 45.35 ct “Tuplip” ametrine which he donated to GIA is absolutely fabulous.

They also say the new Alumni will be a no fee organization. I am a little concerned that might open the up the opportunity for another industry buy in similar to the lab incident. Someone will have to help fund the alumni organization. If industries do it alone, then alumni may start seeing getting information tailored around one or two largest contributors services.

Anyway, being an older student I noticed something today about the Loupe, and then by looking in the last year and a half of Loupe issues I had handy, I noticed it was a theme in them. They always have things showing the success of young , attractive students who have found fantastic jobs with industry leaders right after graduation. Most of these example students appear not to have had any real association with the jewelry industry, or at least its not mentioned. I think that is wonder as we all know how hard it is to get into this business unless you’re related to someone in the industry or have the finances and skills to go out on your own.

The other theme I noticed was that there where only a couple articles on older students of GIA. And most of the ones I scanned over today appear to all have previous connections to the jewelry industry. Either married to, related to, or already working for, a jeweler.

I would like to see at least some success stories on older students who have gone to GIA for career change with no previous connections to the jewelry industry other than maybe as a hobby. No wives, daughters, sisters, cousins, working connections to , or currently working in jewelry industry , like some of the younger ones highlighted in the Loupe. I think this would really help show that even older students have a chance to make it in this industry. And , it would really highlight GIA as a place that can help anyone succeed if you work hard and learn the material. It sure would make me feel a little more confident about the future.

Yes, I know, nothing can guarantee a job, and a lot of it is up to the individual, and yada yada yada…. But, I would think that especially in this era of limited job security and when most of those needing to train for new careers are middle aged or older, if we could at least see a few who made it without inside help, it might encourage others to try… hence, more students for GIA!

This is just my opinion, and as usual, means nothing.
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member

I was going to mention old hogs like JB and me, but I couldn't think of anything funny to say.

Snizzy got on the cover of a GIA periodical this year and she didn't have any prior relations to the industry that I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:29 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was going to mention old hogs like JB and me, but I couldn't think of anything funny to say.

I KNEW we had animal magnetism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

I am one of those old dogs (53) with no prior jewelry experiece or connections 8) I started working in a small independant while completing my G.G. In just two and a half years in the biz I have attained the title of CGA through AGS.

I answered an ad for an appraiser and convinced the owner that I had a passion for appraising and he took a chance on me. I love this business
:smt008

Like the Army promo says "It's not a job, it's an adventure."

Aiken, SC

"The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom"
King Solomon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:48 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Congrats Gem Doc! When did you get the CGA?

Your passion is inspiring! =D>

-Carrie

Post subject: Re: What I would like to see in the Loupe
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 pm 
Gold Member

danielh wrote:
I noticed something today about the Loupe, and then by looking in the last year and a half of Loupe issues I had handy, I noticed it was a theme in them.

They always have things showing the success of young , attractive students who have found fantastic jobs with industry leaders right after graduation. The other theme I noticed was that there where only a couple articles on older students of GIA. And most of the ones I scanned over today appear to all have previous connections to the jewelry industry. Either married to, related to, or already working for, a jeweler.

Doos wrote:
Snizzy got on the cover of a GIA periodical this year and she didn't have any prior relations to the industry that I know of.

gem doc wrote:
I am one of those old dogs with no prior jewelry experiece or connections 8) I answered an ad for an appraiser and convinced the owner that I had a passion for appraising and he took a chance on me. I love this business :smt008

Like the Army promo says "It's not a job, it's an adventure."

Snizzy is also an old dog (40 something) who had no prior experience in the jewelry industry and no connections. Like gem doc - I convinced my current boss that I had a passion for appraisals (which I do) and got hired right after receiving my G.G.

I love this business too :smt055

By the way - you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:28 am 
Valued Contributor

Carrie,

I passed my CGA examine several months ago but I will not receive the title until this coming November. :roll:

Aiken, SC

King Solomon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:53 am 
Site Admin

The GIA's Alumni Society is changing its focus. It wants to center on continuing education. So many of our graduates from years past, fall out of sight and do not keep abreast of current developments in the industry.
If the Alumni Society includes ALL graduates and current students it will become an excellent venue for the sharing and distribution of cutting-edge information. Our Golden Gate Alumni Group offers several seminars a year. We are one of the few chapters who do NOT charge a premium to members of the general public who wish to attend these meetings. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us.
I think adding ALL graduates to our mailing lists will be great for them and for the various Alumni Chapters!
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:36 pm 
Valued Contributor

Wow Gem Doc ! only 2.5 years in the biz and that much accomplished! With all those initials after your name, it must take you an hour to sign your name on a check!

And Snizzy! I forgot about your history with this. (I also never did receive the GIA periodical with you on it. When it first was posted here I even looked at all my current and past issues. ) Congratulations both Snizzy and Gem Doc, and I have to say you both give inspiration for hope !! I started out with great enthusiasm but the closer I get and the more I look, my hope meter needle sinks further into the mud! I guess it could be that this is the hardest and scariest part. Turning all the hard work into a job. But thats looking up as well.

Hopefully I will soon be getting a dose of Prozac for the soul to lift my spirits, I have a tentative offer of an apprenticeship with a great jewelry store with custom shop. He even wants to train me on his CNC machines and laser welder, as well as send me to beginning and advanced Blaine Lewis gem setting classes! At the end of one year, if he can still stand me, he wants to hire me full time… I got the offer 3 weeks ago, then Voc Rehab is involved and I just hope the offer will still be open by the time my consoler finds the time to set up a meeting.

By the wayDoo’s and JB.. you are also old virgems when you started in this biz ?? :lol: What and how you get started?

Snizzy? Aren’t you taking distant appraisal courses? I really want to do that if I can come up with the cash. How are they? I also want to start my AJP and start working on my JA bench certifications. Then again, I want to do everything in the jewelry biz and that causes problems. I need to focus on one or two things at a time!
But there is so much, and its so cool!!

But to stay in tune with my original post,,,,

Dear GIA,

Doc Gem and Snizzy should be on the cover of the loupe and the featured story next issue, so all of us old dogs can be inspired and feel more hopeful!

I say we start a write in campaign!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:37 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem doc wrote:
Carrie,

I passed my CGA examine several months ago but I will not receive the title until this coming November. :roll:

Why so long?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:12 pm 
Platinum Member

Quote:
By the wayDoo’s and JB.. you are also old virgems when you started in this biz ?? Laughing What and how you get started?

At the goldsmithing school where I studied there was an AGTC for Gem-A, so I took the classes. I graduated at age 25 when I still was good with the ladies. Dunno what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:00 pm 
Valued Contributor

danielh,

It sounds like you have been through alot. You know the old saying, "What ever does'nt kill you makes you stronger." Many employers look for people like you who overcome obstacles in life. They make the best employees :smt038

To answer your question. In order to become a CGA you must first be a CG. A CG (certified Gemologist) is a G.G. or FGA who works for an AGS store, who first becomes an RJ (registered Jeweler) for one year then automatically becomes a CG. To become a CGA (certified gemologist appraiser) you must take the CGA course through Cos Altobelli pass a written and practical test, have a certified gem lab and take a color vision test. :smt118

I will be a CG in November.

Aiken, SC

King Solomon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:17 pm 
Valued Contributor

gem doc wrote:
danielh,

It sounds like you have been through alot. You know the old saying, "What ever does'nt kill you makes you stronger." Many employers look for people like you who overcome obstacles in life. They make the best employees :smt038

To answer your question. In order to become a CGA you must first be a CG. A CG (certified Gemologist) is a G.G. or FGA who works for an AGS store, who first becomes an RJ (registered Jeweler) for one year then automatically becomes a CG. To become a CGA (certified gemologist appraiser) you must take the CGA course through Cos Altobelli pass a written and practical test, have a certified gem lab and take a color vision test. :smt118

I will be a CG in November.

Sounds like you will be in need of a vacation by November!! :shock:
How do you do it, and still have time to sleep???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:18 pm 
Valued Contributor

Well, here goes, after a couple weeks of total panic, hand writing over 645 index cards by hand with test questions and other info from the course. And spending countless days and nights, and late nights when after my kids go to bed , carrying them ( the cards) on me 24/7 to study the cards & the gem ID book ( also all put onto index cards) when ever I could. Even waiting to for my prescriptions to be filled at the pharmacist, waiting in the docs office, waiting in the car for the kids to get out of daycare, and so on.

Ive scheduled with the proctor to take the test on Monday early afternoon, before I pick up my daughters. Then all I have to do is sit around an worry about how many I could have, did, didn’t, might have, think I did, did I forget that, oh no!!! and more ways I could have failed it!! The joy of it all!!!

Now my biggest question is, should I drink coffee before or after the exam. It does counter the pain meds drowsiness, but, it makes my mind go 300 MPH !! ( you might notice by the length of some of my post….. a couple cups of java and I think I type Guinness record speed .. I don’t gibberish qualifies though??

Last edited by danielh on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

How about 1/2 a cup of coffee? :wink: