Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Gemstone weight estimation software
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:58 pm 

zaniah wrote:
S. Rautiainen wrote:
I'll take a look a the code / formulas you're using if you have them and I can check the calculations compared to that included in this book and see if there's any discrepancies. When we're talking estimating weights for appraisers this book is usually considered the industry standard resource from what I remember being taught.

Thank you S.Rautiainen,

I have updated the program and credited you with supplying the formula for Briolette.

Let me know if you would prefer not to be credited.

Again thank you!

No need to credit me as I wasn't the one it came from. If you want you can credit the author of the book, Charles I. Carmona, G.G.

One reason it might be triggering virus scanners is that it's not a commonly downloaded program. Some virus scanners use a "groupsense" type detection where if a file has only been downloaded by 10 people that use the virus software then it'll be flagged as "potentially harmful" because of the file type and the low exposure to people.

I don't think there's a way to prevent that except to have more people download it and explain to them that the virus scanner might trigger but it's a safe file and provide the screenshot you used here as proof or use something like Malwarebytes to scan the files and post the results.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 am 
Established Member

Thank you, it looks very nice. I encountered one problem with internationalization. In the formula on the bottom the decimal point for the cutfactor is wrong. In the netherlands the decimal point is a comma. It is correctly translated for the sizes, but not for this cut factor. It stays a point, so it is ignored and the weight is around 10000x too heigh.

And one usability thing, the specific weight has a default value of 100,00. I thought first it was a percentage. Maybe better to make this the mean of the specific gravity for this specifi stone.

All in all, a very handy tool that makes it unnecessary to look up cutfactors and sg s.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:08 pm 
Gold Member

Developer has a Git repository where the source code is monitored. You may want to open an issue there with the bug you have found. See page one of this thread you will see the link to the git repo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:49 am 
Established Member

Quote:
No need to credit me as I wasn't the one it came from. If you want you can credit the author of the book, Charles I. Carmona, G.G.

One reason it might be triggering virus scanners is that it's not a commonly downloaded program. Some virus scanners use a "groupsense" type detection where if a file has only been downloaded by 10 people that use the virus software then it'll be flagged as "potentially harmful" because of the file type and the low exposure to people.

I don't think there's a way to prevent that except to have more people download it and explain to them that the virus scanner might trigger but it's a safe file and provide the screenshot you used here as proof or use something like Malwarebytes to scan the files and post the results.

Thanks for this - yes I have credited Charles I. Carmona in the source code for that and thanks for the info regarding its being flagged like that. Makes sense!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 am 
Established Member

HenkRijneveld wrote:
Thank you, it looks very nice. I encountered one problem with internationalization. In the formula on the bottom the decimal point for the cutfactor is wrong. In the netherlands the decimal point is a comma. It is correctly translated for the sizes, but not for this cut factor. It stays a point, so it is ignored and the weight is around 10000x too heigh.

And one usability thing, the specific weight has a default value of 100,00. I thought first it was a percentage. Maybe better to make this the mean of the specific gravity for this specifi stone.

All in all, a very handy tool that makes it unnecessary to look up cutfactors and sg s.

Thanks Henk for taking the time to write and also downloading the program.

My apologies for not getting back to you. I was not notified of your message by email, so did not notice it until now. Looks like I have to check the
Notify me when a reply is posted checkbox.

Could you please post a screen shot or write to me privately if possible? I could then send you a test version of the program to try and fix the issue.

Also, you said the specific weight (gravity) has a default value of 100 - Which stone is this?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:15 am 
Established Member

glhays wrote:
Developer has a Git repository where the source code is monitored. You may want to open an issue there with the bug you have found. See page one of this thread you will see the link to the git repo.

yes, that's right!

The url is https://github.com/dnaldoog/Gemwest

Thank you for pointing that out!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:39 am 
Established Member

HenkRijneveld wrote:

Hi there Henk!

I think I have fixed the European comma issue in this new version. I changed my computer formatting to Dutch and wrote version 4.0.0 that way! But please check because it required a considerable rewrite.

The default value of 100 for all SG was a show stopper bug :roll: that crept in due to text to number conversion but all such code should have now been eliminated.

Again thank you for pointing this all out.

Please download the new version here https://sourceforge.net/projects/gemwest/files/v4.0.0/

CheckSums for: v4.0.0
SHA1: 23bd099594e97238bf3003a6a07f9c5eb4465481
SHA256: a74e420363f6d67e97bcd37aba9e6b99c7e9cefd68480ae40ba43ab07eac31a1
MD5: 9f0400850bf26116c28eb0aefd30cfa5

bedankt.

Attachment:
program_screen_shot.png
program_screen_shot.png [ 63.36 KiB | Viewed 13766 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:43 pm 
Gold Member

Not available on git?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:07 pm 
Established Member

Yes it is available.

You can download it here:

https://github.com/dnaldoog/Gemwest/releases

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:59 am 
Established Member

Quote:
Hi there Henk!

I think I have fixed the European comma issue in this new version. I changed my computer formatting to Dutch and wrote version 4.0.0 that way! But please check because it required a considerable rewrite.

The default value of 100 for all SG was a show stopper bug :roll: that crept in due to text to number conversion but all such code should have now been eliminated.

Thank you John for your efforts, it is indeed working now :) Doing internationalization is always more tricky then expected with all those exceptions.

By the way, it also works on Linux with Wine (tested on ubuntu 21.10). Only a minor error but the program stays perfectly usable.

ありがとう!
(Arigato! :))

Henk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Zaniah, I wanted to add a quick note to thank you for your important contributions to our members and the industry in general.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:53 pm 
Established Member

Thank you Barbra!

Very kind of you to write. :D

Last edited by zaniah on Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:56 pm 
Established Member

HenkRijneveld wrote:
Quote:
Thank you John for your efforts, it is indeed working now :) Doing internationalization is always more tricky then expected with all those exceptions.

By the way, it also works on Linux with Wine (tested on ubuntu 21.10). Only a minor error but the program stays perfectly usable.

ありがとう!
(Arigato! :))

Henk

ありがとう Henk - great to know it works on Linux too! Again, thank you for pointing out some serious issues with that previous version! =D>