January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I bought GTP a couple of years ago, but was using my mother's computer at the time. I tried to transfer it to my computer and couldn't do it :cry: . Do I have to re-purchase??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:03 am 
Valued Contributor

I have been corresponding with Bill for months with a gemological idea that will help him make his program even better.
Most people may not be aware that the human eye is limited. Yet, we have digital cameras that "see far beyond the spectral limits of the human eye." The CCD within the digital camera can see absorption lines far into the IR range as well as into the UV range of the spectrum. I had proposed to Bill the use of a little tool that I created for my own education.
and sent him a data sheet of gemstones that I have already examined.
What I propose is to share that invention with others and maybe members of this website could also participate in the creation of a gemstone database that features:
a] color pictures of gemstones examined
b] measurements of the gemstones for make quality
c] location or origin of stone if known.
d] mine name from district of gem source
e] color spectra typical of this species of gemstone, varieties, cut and rough with examples of enhancements used, duribility, and dangers.
f] how to modify simple kids camera into a photospectrometer that has
both a color spectra of gemstones as well as use of programs to chart
absorption lines of gemstones as well as an image of the gemstone.
I am 64 year old and have been working on this project for years, and have not scratched the surface. I believe that if we could share ideas and
R&D we could help Bill as well as ourselves with a database that comes from living examples of stones that we encounter in our daily practice.
The beauty of the internet, it the fact that each of us if prompted can make valuable contributions to our field. Anyway, it is just an idea.
Actual color images of spectra found in gemstones made with a modified simple camera or a modification to the front of an expensive camera that does not effect the original camera, could help appraisers in the field with work, identity, and help to upgrade our professionalism. Winstone

Post subject: gemology data-help to come.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 am 
Valued Contributor

Fig,
Thanks for update. What kind of computer are you using? If MAC, I can not help you as it is beyond my knowledge. If running Windows, then possibly I can help.
The use of Linux can also be done, but I can get you in touch with techies that have foregotten more than I know. www.frozentech.com is a website for low cost Linux versions.
I modified a Jamcam kids camera to make spectral photos of gemstone
spectras. A jeweler's 10X loupe is an excellent closeup lens, or if you can find a microscope with a video tube or camera tube modifications can help you find the spectra for computer.
I am representing a widow of the Past president of the North
Texas GIA allumni chapter to sell some of his used but in mint condition gemological equipment. He had the GIA prism spectrascope with stand, if you are interested, I can get you a low price for same.
Pay via paypal. Cost estimates are based on 1/2 of GIA catalogue prices including postage sold as is where is, special rate of 1/3 for some items. All items shipped via US Post Office.
Books are 1/2 of list price, condition is important, Books that are not in pristine condition are 1/3 list. Most books are signed by authors to Frank who was a personal friend of GIA founders, and a GIA-AA supporter.
my email address with paypal is wsimports@aol.com we sell items at cost plus 10% to cover paperwork for estate items. He also had an extensive gemology library of classic books as well as current books.
Currently I am making a list of the books. Several boxes of them. A lot of stuff. Original GIA course materials, a lot of classic books no longer in print. He was an expert on Fabrege' and handled Fabrege' items that I got to examine on his dining room table. A real treat and privilege.
I made a video of the items, my video showed the chips on these items prior to their being sent to New York for sale. It saved him a ot of grief when we were able to show that movie when relative of the owner's family claimed damages when unsold items were returned to Dallas. I had already cut CD disks of the video prior to his sending items to New York via my Loomis account with proper insurance. He had planned to hand carry these items on his person via flight. I told him that he would be in better shape if the items over 15 could be properly packed, shipped under armed guard, and received by a trusted vendor by bonded and insured security. He made it to New York prior to the arrival of the Fabrege' items and helped to unpack this collection. He had proof of proper bailment of the items.
The cut date of the CD is on the disk which could not be rewritten, thus it became a self authenticating evidencary item showing pre-condition upon receipt from the owner's family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Would love to hear more about the camera spectroscope and the entire setup!
Spectra pics would be great too!

Post subject: photospectrometers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

Ok here is the basic plan for the [photospectrometer camera]
I got a jamcam which is a kids camera that has a Windows based program.
The cost here in 1997 was $49.00 but it can be found on Ebay for as low as $19 or less in 2007. It gets its power from a 9 volt battery. The battery is like those for transister radios. It has a CD disk with a program for viewing digital pictures plus two cables one a USB and the other uses
male jacks and a c connector for older computers.
The ccd in the camera is behind the lens which is fixed focus. To get around this problem, one can dismantle the camera by removing small screws or place a 10X jewelers loupe on the outside of the camera and with a bit of experimentation get a nice close up image. If you also have a hand held defraction grading spectrascope, then place it one the end of the loupe and voila = you have a poor man's photospectrometer.
The camera limits you to 8 jpeg pictures, but scandisk makes a nifty small memory card to boost picture load to 32 meg. which means many more pics as well as a way to carry spectra as well as photos of the items.
The camera does not have a viewer like most small digital cameras.
I will show you guys more detailed images of how to remove screws and how to modify front of camera with another post. Next part relates to another cheap camera system that is directly connected to computer without film. I modified a VIDEOCAM to get spectra. It is a work in progress.
=======
I love to experiment and create useful gemological tools out of common electronic computer related items. This experiment is based on the success of the Jamcam, so I wondered if a VIDEOCAM could be used as the camera? If access to the ccd would be easier? The loupe close up lens worked with the Jamcam, could it work better with a VIDEOCAM? The answer is yes.
Not only do you get a closeup of the gem in question, but it is only as good as your triplet loupe! and the detail is wonderful. It is instant and coupled with software to the computer, the images can use the paint programs loaded in the programs along with being stored on a much larger hard drive folder.
Add to this fact that used Compaq computers cost as little as $50 on Ebay. Then I have a portable photospectrometer that can run Windows 95,98,ME,or XP with CD drive with USB ports to accept the VIDEOCAM. An addon hard drive with USB is used to store images. Most of these computers have modems, which allow me to log on to the internet. I surf looking for other spectra, national minerological databases, and this website forum at gemology on line.com
I will also post the type of VIDEOCAM I found that works well with my Ebay Compaq Aramada 1700 laptop with single USB port attached to a 4 post 1.1 USB holder addon ports. The battery was removed as this computer is used inhouse. Also, in the battery port fits a computer hard drive to accept my spectra images in a protected database called Alchemy Gold 6. The database has passwords, so that my research can not be invaded by viruses. It doubles the size of a CD disk from 650-700 meg to 1-1.5gig. Some of my portable computers Presario 1200 have DVD\CD drives that allow me to cut disks, or these computers like the Aramadas will accept IOMEGA $85 from Tiger Direct external drives that will allow me to cut CD's with databases directly. Newer models allow you to cut both CD's and DVD's. The Operating system is cut to the disk, so that it will run from any computer with a cd rom drive. The research is in PDF files, so that it can be read by MAC, Windows, Linux, Android, G3, G4, and Unix OS systems. The PDFs are catalogued, so that research can be made with PLAIN ENGLISH questions. I use Acrobat 5.15 as well as Acrobat 7.0 professional update for windows so that I can index DXF, STL, and CAD files for plans for more research project plans. I had thought of making a CD disk with my research and include detailed plans for making
my photospectrometers. The cost wold be low to cover disks, and as I am partially retired at the age of 67 years, I could generate a little income for my wife to spend from her Ebay store [future project to sell antiques, jewelry equipment, my extra stuff and gemological working experimental tools, CD's of how to plans] She is much more organized than I am, and wants to simplify our lives. Selling extra stuff and getting rid of clutter while making some money has her interest. She is my trophy wife of 35 years. What with me at 67 years young, getting another who I can train, will take another 35 years to get one I can love more than I did when I got married to her. I am getting to the point when I can not remember when I was a single man. Anyway, I love her more than I did when we married. I am a hopeless romantic. On weekends I make homemade fruit bread [via bread machine and, bread packet and dried fruit bought seperately] let it cool, slice it and place wax paper between slices, then place it in a ziplock freezer bag. On week days early in the morning, I take out a slice, pop it in a Bagel toaster, slather on Cream cheese and some marmelaide, make some International coffee, put it on a tray, and serve her Breakfast in Bed. I celebrate our wedding anaversary each month with some unusual small gift, flowers, a poem, etc. On the main day anything goes, do not tell her or give a hint of what it could or would be. GUYS = IF YOUR LADY IS HAPPY SHE WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY.
Nuff for now Winstone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

This is very interesting. How accurate are the results from such a setup?

DO you use software to compare or identify spectra by searching the database or manually compare the image to recorded spectra? DO you have the images converted to graphs?

I would think that there would definitely be a market for your CD if you decide to do it.

P.S. You should have been a poet!