January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Announcement Of New Gemology App For iPhone And Android
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I want to personally introduce to message board the newest smart phone app designed for people in the jewelry industry. My company has recently launched MetdiaGem(TM), an easy to use and understand reference designed for iPhone/iPod Touch and Android phone devices. This app allows you to access all the information needed to accurately identify all widely accepted gem species/varieties. It includes, but is not limited to, the following:

1) Detailed gem species information, including chemical formula, crystal system, specific gravity, hardness, toughness, dispersion, transparency, polish luster, fracture, fracture luster, cleavage, heat reaction, chemical reaction, light reaction, ultrasonic cleaning, steam cleaning, soapy water cleaning, and variety-by-species information with accompanying notes (where applicable),

2) Detailed gem variety information, including refractive index, birefringence, optical, general size, species, color, other varieties typically confused with, separations, enhancement, and source information with accompanying notes (where applicable), and image(s) for most varieties,

3) Jewelry metal melting temperature information (Both Fahrenheit and Celsius), including common base metal and other materials melting information for comparison,

4) Jewelry metal specific gravity information, including common base metal and other materials specific gravity information for comparison,

5) A weight conversion calculator, with the following weight scales included: carats, troy drams, grains, grams, kilograms, ounces, pennyweights, pounds, pounds troy, taels (Hong Kong), tolas, and troy ounces.

Outside the app itself, the best feature is that it is self-contained: you do not need an active Wi-Fi or cellular data connection to access the app's content after the initial download (other than updates). This allows you to travel anywhere and still access pertinent gem information without being hampered by a lack of a Wi-Fi connection or cellular data service.

The app is available for purchase on the App Store, Google Play, and Amazon for USD $4.99. You may view example screen shots of the app by going to http://www.metdia.com/products/metdiagem.

Since I am a GIA Graduate Gemologist, I personally worked to ensure this product is of the highest standards and will meet or exceed your expectations. For me, it is the perfect app that consolidates most of the information contained in your many references into one easy-to-use phone application that you can put in your pocket.

If you have any questions about the software, please feel free to contact me on the message board.

Sincerely,

Scott

Scott B Britton, GIA Graduate Gemologist
Chairman of the Board, President, and CEO
Metdia Corporation

Post subject: Re: Announcement Of New Gemology App For iPhone And Android
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm 
Valued Contributor

Great idea! =D>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:53 pm 
Moderator: Lapidary Diamonds

"Compatiable OSes: iOS (7.0+), Android (API 4+)"

Does the app work only for Android 4.0 and later? I ask because my version is 2.3.4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:27 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

thomas.adamas wrote:
Does the app work only for Android 4.0 and later? I ask because my version is 2.3.4

I'm probably in that boat, too. Since I know you can't guarantee compatibility without lots of testing, I'll probably check it out and post results.

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:02 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

shouldn't this be in Board index » General Gemology » Gemology/ Appraisal Software ?

just bought the app, because you said
Quote:
...approximately the cost of your favorite coffee drink at your local coffee house, with free updates as they come available...

i would have liked option to download offline database.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am 
Site Admin

This isn't appraisal software.
Anyone properly qualified to do appraisals wouldn't need it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:14 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
This isn't appraisal software.
Anyone properly qualified to do appraisals wouldn't need it.

yes its not but its a gemology software shouldn't it be in "Gemology/ Appraisal Software" section ?! :?: :!:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

For you, Farshid.....of course. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
For you, Farshid.....of course. :wink:

Thank You

this software is very similar to early versions of Gemology Tools, and GIA's Gem Reference Guide. which are very basic (but necessary) and mostly public knowledge information for today's gemology world. you could have added more advanced information. i have an ebook which has much more information than this software and much easier to use.

i did not liked application's GUI & the Appearance of the menus, it could be much better, it seems like you used a Rapid Application Development program and entered the data,

the Rapid Application Development environments are easiest and most affordable way to develop applications.by almost hundred dollars one can create apps without knowledge of programming & design. but the programs made from the base software have same Interface and menu.

lack of inclusion photo and details for separation gems is very obvious in your program.

i encourage anyone who attempts to make any gemology book or software and i try to buy them all but i appreciate something unique and handy (like The Handbook of Gemmology),

the cost of software ($4.99) is reasonable, but giving it did not take lots of efforts and the database was already published by others i'd say 1.99$ is much better price for this software.

i have developed many softwares for gemology and all of them are free and i never got a penny from anyone (didn't expect it too).

i have paid for programmers and done the project management myself. my goal was contributing it to fellow gemologist/appraisers. but i was going to make an commercial software i would have done more efforts for the GUI and bringing up something unique.

anyways dont take my review in a negative way, i am trying to be honest with you, keep up the good work if you like i can help you for later updates and feature.

Regards,
Farshid 8)