January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DiamCalc 3.0 by Octonus
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:24 pm 
Valued Contributor

Octonus just released version 3.0 of their DiamCalc software and it’s an amazing piece of work for just under $400. It’s a cut modeling program used primarily by the diamond cutting industry for planning rough and designing new cuts but it’s great for squeezing out every last bit of data from a Sarin scan and for doing DIY raytracing and cut analysis. For those without a Sarin you can build your own wireframe based on a photograph that you take under some controlled conditions or by using measurements from a lab and with a bit of practice it’s truly amazing what you can come up with. It’s a poor man’s Sarin machine and it’s the bleeding edge of modeling and analysis software. There’s a free demo that works only with marquise’s but that gives a good flavor for what it can do. Not so useful but very entertaining for a dealer, pretty useful for an appraiser, especially if you work with technically minded clients, extremely useful for a lab or a manufacturer.

http://www.octonus.ru

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:51 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I went on their site, but what I saw, where prices of 2900 € for DC and not 400 U$,
Or am I wrong?

Charles :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:20 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi Charles,

2900euro is price for DCpro
price for DC3.0 is in 10 times less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 am 
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have Diamcalc, but am unable to open a Sarin file with *.stn extension, any suggestions?

Charles :(

Post subject: Octonus
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

"For those without a Sarin you can build your own wireframe based on a photograph that you take under some controlled conditions or by using measurements from a lab and with a bit of practice it’s truly amazing what you can come up with."

Neil, I've been using DiaCalc for several years, altering their "Report" format to suit my use. Would you please elaborate on the statement above? I've found that a simple "table gauge" can, with care, give amazing results.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 am 
Valued Contributor

Russians invented everything, no not likely?
If you want to try some share ware at a fraction of the Russian pricey software which was developed in the USA over twenty years ago. Then do a Google search of GemCad. Or you can try it for free for 30 days by going to www.gemcad.com The original program was developed by Robert Strickland. As you can see from the results of the Google search there are thousands of patterns, ray traces showing light leakages, etc. I use this wonderful program to enter the deminsions of gemstones as well as diamond cuts to show light leakages on my appraisal workproduct worksheets. w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:46 pm 
Valued Contributor

Hi Charlie,

Take a faceup view of the stone and use that photograph as a background image as you build the wireframe. You can adjust the wireframe to match up to the facet junctions and then swap out the background when you're done to something neutral so you can see it better. If you enter some known variables, like the diameters or table size and get the girdle from observation since it's not part of your picture and you can get the rest like the crown angles, star length, lgl, etc. It takes a bit of practice but it actually goes fairly fast when you get it down.

Gemcad is a fine product, but significantly slower, at least for me.

Neil