Dec.20 to 22:SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA: Wholesale and retail show; Gem Faire Inc.; Scottish Rite Center; Fri. 12-6, Sat. 10-6, Sun. 10-5;
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: An ok hobbyist microscope for most gems?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:35 am 
Established Member

Stephen Challener wrote:
It is a bit of a steep learning curve, though once you've used one a bit it will make sense.

The clips are typically smooth, but you would want to be extra careful with something fragile like sphalerite.

Heheheh...right. I can pm now, I sent you a message, am interested in a microscope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:16 pm 
Established Member

If anyone is up and about, I'm looking at 3 different scopes within my budget. There is an extra 15% off already discounted for today 30th I'd like to lock in.
I've read and read on here and can't distinguish differences good/bad between halogen, led light etc and or which of these three will give me my best bang for the buck with colored stones (inclusions, bubbles etc.) with which X power.
I'm putting the little photos they listed which supposedly show approx. what you're supposed to "see" with each scope. The 5X80 with an included diamond looks super crisp and clear, but it doesn't have an iris. The 7X90 with iris and Barlow lens looks pretty disappointing of a view to me, and the other scope has the exact same photo. I don't know if these were on maximum X value.
I'm totally lost honestly...
https://www.amscope.com/applications/je ... nal_tabbed
NO IRIS but appears the crispest to me
Attachment:
File comment: micro 1 5x80 tri 3 lights
diamond-microscope-3_4_1_1.jpg
diamond-microscope-3_4_1_1.jpg [ 66.8 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

https://www.amscope.com/5x-80x-darkfiel ... nal_tabbed
No iris
Attachment:
File comment: no iris scope 2
diamond-microscope-1_1_4_2_1 scope two.jpg
diamond-microscope-1_1_4_2_1 scope two.jpg [ 60.24 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

https://www.amscope.com/7x-90x-jewelry- ... nal_tabbed
WITH iris and Barlow lens
Attachment:
File comment: with iris B lens
with iris and barlow lens diamond-microscope-1_1_5_1.jpg
with iris and barlow lens diamond-microscope-1_1_5_1.jpg [ 60.24 KiB | Viewed 42 times ]

Is anything super obvious here to anyone as to best choice? I'm leaning towards the 3rd in spite of the photo. Any and all help is very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:02 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

You need an Iris to properly light stones for some separations. So, no iris, no good.

It is much easier to make an image look good under a scope because of exposure time.

I will say this once again, I have never seen an AM Scope microscope that had an acceptable lighting stage for any serious gemology work. In the end buying one will cost you more than just biting the bullet and buying a good used professional scope.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:08 am 

Their higher-end bases (plasticy-looking gemolite clones, this base is sold by many many brands) are probably not too bad, but they're expensive: https://www.amscope.com/applications/je ... scope.html
For that price you can get something really great used with much better optics and mechanical build quality.
I do have a higher-tier Chinese base I really like that's a close Gemolite VII clone, but they're significantly more than the amscope-style.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:32 am 
Established Member

Thank you so much for answering. I think I'll cool my jets and stack cash a while longer - I got caught up in Black Friday Frenzy haha!
Stephen, just looking at the specs in the link you posted shows the difference...am gonna bookmark that as a reference point, am not real confident though about purchasing used somewhere like ebay. If I magically find something on there before you do :D I'll pm you if you can please give it a visual once over. I really don't feel confident buying used on my own.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

That is a solid path to take. Stephen is a microscope Guru. He has provided excellent used microscopes for students at GIA that I coach through the course.

By the way Stephen, the woman in the Bay Area you provided the scope for took her 20 stone final last week. She passed the first time with 100%. She still loves her scope.

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 pm 
Gold Member

I have one of the AMscopes for gemology, and am quite satisfied with it. The optics and lighting seems fine to me. I bought it maybe 8 or 9 years ago has worked fine. Granted I don't use is all that often, but for what I need I wasn't about to spend a few thousand dollars.