January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: stone holder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I doubt it. Imagine putting a rock on that thing, letting it spin in an 8" circle at 800 rpm, and then stick a pencil in the stone's path...

Patuxent Lapidary Guild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:31 pm 
Valued Contributor

No no, this is purely for quickly examining a stone after its cut.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Wouldn't this work?
I have a few of them lying around:
Forca RTGS-504 Jewelry Pearl and Gemstone Holder Vise Set 1mm ~15mm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:23 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

michael_e wrote:
I saw a little vacuum setup that used a small plastic tube to grab model making stuff in a catalog once. I always thought that would work neat for picking up stones in the shop but never pursued it. Has anyone here used one of these? http://www.micromark.com/hobby-pal-vacuum-pickup-tool,7954.html or http://www.micromark.com/model-pal-vacuum-pickup-tool,7851.html

There is also this model of vacuum holder, especially designed to study gems under microscope: https://www.dazor.com/store/vacuum-gems ... ystem.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 am 

Ya, Michael. Actually, I thought I saw a jewelers reference using one of those.

Likely it was a stick with a little bit of setters wax.

I am actually trying to figure out the same.

Except, for glassworking.

To possibly make a tool, with a hollow graphite tube, and mini-venturi for vaccum hooked up to air compressor. Say 110 psi. Havent made it yet, and I still have other ideas to hold 1400 degree gems without them shocking.

I have thought of all kinds of tweezing mechanisms for glass. The pronged type holders are common in glass, but the best finishing tool is actually a 1 dollar stainless steel tongs from Walmart, wrapped in waletex glass fiber tape.

Thusfar......Also bent tweezers wrapped in waletex with a locking ring(for glass finishing/holding small components)

I have a lot of ideas though.

Such as for gems. Perhaps one could create a parallel closing tweezers, with custom grooved arms (look just like these parenthesis marks)))))))))) with interchangeable tips for 2-3mm, 4-5mm, 6-7mm, etc........

You know shaped tweezers could be all the rage for glassworkers. But, Don't think they'll be for sale.

ANother thing to consider.

What about a set of tweezers with precise grooves. Ones that are for SRB? With 41 degree profile, .25,.5,.75,1, 1.25 and 1.5mm groove for girdle.

There's all kinds of options.

Ima keep working on and focusing on glass ones though.

I'm a need a tweezer for every occasion kind of guy. As far scissors, for thread. 3 dollar purple singers from target are the best I've ever had, and 97 percent of the scissors on the market suck.

PS: further above in thread. You fell for the old lubed sapphire, and gemstone net trick. You know, the ones that have a hidden panel on the back of the glass case, a button that pops out the net with actuators, catches the gem, goes back into the bottom of the custom workworked case, and the hidden panel folds down in less than 1 second. Optimized for stealth, well oiled and all the parts are covered in foam and gasket material to be silent. The carnie like gem swindler, just hits the button on the underside of the top of the case.

Generally these nets are in pairs, and tailored to the person behinds the counters legs. One pops out to the right, one to the left.

They've been around since the early 1900's. Before Diamonds were synthesized.

Next time, check his cases undersides for buttons and if they tell you its the security alarm/silent alarm. Ask them to prove it.

Just kidding.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 am 

Holy Cow Egor. I didn't see page 2 of the thread.

That is exactly what I need. My tool for glass will probably work then.

Now, I just need to work on the model that somewhat replicates the model you linked to.

Something that will hold my workpiece, and my stone in another arm,

Then I x,y, swing em together, make a quick tack weld, and use my micro handtorches.

Of course I'll need to do a cold run, get the settings down right, get my heat base right, and be super quick about it, make nice quick tiny tack weld.

Wow, thanks for the link. Precision glassworking, here I come. I'll be the only glassworker applying these methods most likely if I can get it going.

It'll take the ST______ ten years to figure out that it was on a gemology thread.

As far as the other tools mentioned. They wont sell well, most people don't have a problem being careful. Also, why not make sure you polish your tweezers well, and have nice pad for the landing.

Glassworkers have stuff fall off their punty all the time. For the precious pieces, I have devised a nice bed to fall onto. The heat proof pads with padding are expensive though. You can use them to hold 1500 degree glass, but they wear out quick.