January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lap clubs, rock clubs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:03 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

As suggested I went hunting for a local club. North Dakota has more trees than rock shops and 3 clubs of any kind in the state. So that was a bust.
Dakota isn't really like anyplace else. It's 2 tanks of diesel and a gauntlet run through the oil patch to get anything and this time of year the diesel generally gels up and leaves you cussing at the reason you left the house in the first place.
Once again it's back to Internet resources for most everything.
So if you wouldn't mind, how about suggestions for a DVD list. U. Tube is good too. Metal smithing, making molds etc.
Maybe I'm a bit off but, a gem is just a pretty pebble until its put into a setting. And then the metal work had better be equal to the gem or its all for nothing. So I'm in need of knowledge and this site seems willing to share most graciously. Very refreshing!
Dan & Sally

Post subject: Re: Lap clubs, rock clubs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:03 pm 
Gold Member

Dan&Sally wrote:
So if you wouldn't mind, how about suggestions for a DVD list. U. Tube is good too. Metal smithing, making molds etc.

The Revere Academy is a really good place to learn about jewelry making. If you can't get there for classes you might consider getting some of their books and videos here: http://www.revereacademy.com/shop/ I would suggest getting a jewelers torch, some wire and sheet and just start learning how to solder, since that is a basic process upon which many other things rest. A few pliers, hammers and mandrels to beat things into submission and you're off and running. If you have specific questions you can always ask here as there are a number of contributors with experience in metal work.

Oh, I almost forgot, check out Ganoksin here: http://www.ganoksin.com/ LOTS of good advice about metal work and the jewelry arts. It's a forum arrangement, but also has some good tips and articles by some very good metal workers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:20 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Michael, thanks again I will add this to my reference library. It seems to be growing quite nicely. My soldering skills are excellent. Even in the minefield (no pressure) will have to tell you that story one day. That's good news that I can use something I already know.
Part of the reason we have thought about doing this for so long is that between the 2 of us we have a lot of the skills needed already well tuned. Sally's marketing and accounting, fashion design. My varied background in repair, construction, machine tooling. But there are gaps and inexperience in important areas that will take time and practice to become proficient in.
And maybe I can train the parrot to bring me jewels when I need them? He likes shiny things!
Thanks again. Dan & Sally

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:19 am 
Valued Contributor

Just a note: "soldering" in silver or gold work is actually brazing. You will be working at temperatures around 1600 degrees F. Also the need for specific fluxes, fire coatings, etc. can make it tricky. Use mostly "hard" solders, then medium or easy if you ned them to keep things from falling apart or melting into a blob. Practice makes it all easier. You can do a lot with a small butane torch, or even a propane torch, if you can get one with a narrow flame. Then make lots of bezels and chains to get the practice!

Dick Davies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Thanks Dick, I understand, it's not your weller iron.
Once I get to that point where I'm ready to work with the metals my sons are going to give me a few hours of their time. They are both welders and metal fabricators. We had some discussion of using other gasses such as argon etc and small torch tips where we can control heat and flame very accurately. Also not have to mess with little butane, methane, and propane tanks. Just set up the tanks in a wall rack and run a retractable hose to a work station.