January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project 2015
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Strikes me that this is what made America great, not ranting demagogues, not technology, not money, but the get up and go of the ordinary person. Good luck Dan, and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Survived the 8 lanes of traffic each way in the dark to my hotel. Short drive to the campus and praying this election ends soon. Sooo tired of the TV and radio. Rocks are so peaceful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:30 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

3 days of gem grading was supposed to be way more fun. Instead I get 2 days of food poisoning from a local sandwich and 1 day of semi functional thinking. Ooff da. survived the class barely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 pm 
Gold Member

So sorry to hear abut the bad food, such bad timing.

The worst case I had was when we went to Holand to see the tulips. We treated yourself to an expensive dinner and paid for it with a very expensive visit from a hotel doctor, who said not much I can do..... sorry.

We did recover enogh to get in 1 day of tulips, it was before digital cameras. I have slides of it someplace.

I hope that you got enough time to complete the class. Good luck.

I want you to finish this soon, so you finally get around to buying a faceting machine...... I want to see your first successful stone. (not always the first one. at least in my case :roll: )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:33 pm 
Gold Member

Dan&Sally wrote:
Im looking to set up a faceted gem set for the purpose of learning to use my instruments properly. I know Barbara had a set for sale at one time but I have not seen it listed for some time. What specimens do I want to use, and what do I want to stay away from?
would it be wise to put one together based on mohs scale or by crystal habit or by popularity of stones?
would it matter if it was all synthetic since its purpose is to learn proper function of the instruments?

I am by no means an expert, and I do not have any instruments, so I not the best one to answer this. But I have not seen a response. So I will give my 2 cents....

If it to verify that you are reading the machines correctly, I think that you could get buy with just a few.
I am not sure which pieces of equipment you have, but I assume at least a RI and a Polarascope.

One or two on the Ri range. a piece of quartz and CZ would be good. This would also do for SG.

Then you need a single and double refraction.... Quartz would be be in the .009 range and a piece of Topaz or maybe Hematite.

For single you could use spinell or garnet.

So a piece if CZ, quartz and Spinell or Garnet would let you see verify most of the tools.

I have some cutouff pieces that are trimmings of each of them. I would be happy to polish up a few faces (to help with the Ri reading). If you send me your address I can send them to you. I might even label them..... but that would take the fun out of it.

I suspect that you probably already have some Garnets and quartz from your prospecting tales. if you need a polished face to test the Ri, I would be happy to polish up a facet for you. You only need one polished face to test RI.

Just send me a PM and I will get back with my current address. I would make time and get the samples back to you in a few days.

You can also go onto any of the many shops and by a few synthetic stones I would recommend at least 5mm if not 10mm to make it easier to find when you drop them.

I am sure that there are people better qualified to answer this.... and it may be an old thread a=that I missed the answer to.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:09 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Tonights speaker at GIA is a carver/cutter from IberOberstein. The school has graciously opened it up to students. Should be interesting and way better than camping out in the hotel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:10 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Well folks I managed to make it through the 3 labs for grading. So much fun to play with all the stones! Now fully armed with the tools to grade gems I am totally dangerous.
I enjoyed the classes even though I was older than most of the students parents, and have no common ground with the store front group. Discussions of clothing fashion and whatever else drifting about in their heads was like holidays with the relatives just background noise.
Shelly our instructor was amazing. Has probably forgotten more about gems than I will learn. Can't say enough good things about GIA staff.
That leaves me with one final course to complete the GG program. Colored stone ID and the 500 stone lab. Super excited about that.
I thank you all for the contribution you have made to my education as well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Excellent! So glad to hear. :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Well, the long awaited agonized and anticipated day has arrived. Today I bring the business plan before the family. Ask for partners and funding.
Timing is good with hours being cut for all of us in our other jobs. There may be more acceptance or at least willingness to help with the start up.
If this works out and my plan is accepted then I will have to change my thread to project 2017!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:42 am 
Gold Member

good luck.

I hope that you find a way to enjoy it as a hobby even if the business plan does not come together.

I cannot imagine trying to do this with the pressure of making it a new start up business. I admire your strength and dedication.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ah yes what is it they say about the best made plans? There seemed to be a fair amount of hesitance in that meeting. Couldn't tell why.
Now I know, my youngest son had been talking with my folks about moving the welding business to Kentucky.
And now he is. So much for my plans, at least for a while. Instead of starting up a new business we are trying to save one. More important to get him working again, just not enough customer base left since the oil patch shut down to a trickle of work.
Good thing I've got 10 years before retirement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:51 pm 
Gold Member

I am sorry to hear that. I wish you lock with the move.

this may give you the opportunity to take a slightly difernt approach. What if you took the time to learn other aspects of the trade.

You could try some of the other aspects at a slower pase, more of a serious hobby instead of a full on startup business. You could then get use to the processes, and possible make it a self funding hobby.

I see two roads:
Faceting, pick up a machine and learn to facet. You can use snap in place settings to start and be making earrings that my be able to be sold.

or

Buy cut stones, and start the custom design and fab side. Again you can start small (even with metal clay) and gain a lot of experience. This will let you try out the design aspects. ou can get cut stones easily that would finish the pieces.

Either way you would gain experience in a aspect of the final goal.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:21 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Dan,

I'm new here and even more of a newbie to gems than you. This is even my first post. But reading your story, your progress appears nothing short of heroic! I can't imagine that with all the time, effort, determination, and $$ you have put into your plan for a business so far, that there is not a way to continue. I understand a parent's need to put their children first, but what about your dreams?? You are so close to completing the GG. Please continue your work, and post about it here. You might be surprised who supports you and how your life can affect others. Seriously, you are proof that 'where there's a will, there's a way'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome ABQgem. Such a nice introductory post.
Please keep it up!
=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

ABQgem thanks always nice to have the encouragement. Wrestling with financing, jobs, family is an everyday affair. What some see as set backs are just a temporary change in direction. Got my youngest settled in to his new job, back to making a living on his own again. Can concentrate on my own finances again.
Achieving my GG degree this year is the goal to meet. But that only makes me book smart. Still more to look into, smithing, design, repairs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next