January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

As anticipated I completed the AJP program and passed the final tonight.
This will probably conclude what I can do this year. Unless a small miracle arises I will join the ranks of the unemployed Jan 1st. The Bakken oil patch has hit Zero production. Had a good ten year run though. Wasn't quite fast enough to get through the GG program before it died out. :(
Go talk with my VA rep and see if I cant find some $$ to complete the courses. Things can change in 2 weeks but I wont be flippin burgers. The nearest McDonalds is 60 mi away :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

found out what company won the bid against us and did some digging for the program sups name. Even wrangled a interview out of the deal. needed to submit the old resume' Wow was it old! havent updated in ten years. You would be absolutely amaised at all the different jobs you have to do in the oil patch to survive 10yrs! I may survive another year if this goes through. So, found the little miracle, lets hope its enough. Then I can get back to my GG studies and building my retirement career.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:48 am 
Gold Member

Good luck.

I worked in Gov and defense for the past 20 years. it was a program that was dedicated to one very nich customer. But the Government kept rebidding the support contract.

I sat in the dame desk, doing the same thing for 3 companies. Each time another company won the bid, they hired the people in place. It makes it tough on the retirement planning.

The strangest part is that the last company bought one of my previous companies. I was able to combine my years of service.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

sounds like you work at NASA. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:46 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

The new year has started out well. New employer, same job. So with that I can continue GIA courses. Enrolled in colored stones, thought about taking diamond lab but with the new employer time off isnt an option yet. The lab would require at least a week off to travel and complete the lab. If things work out maybe I can do that in the fall. Only 2 classes to complete then I have to take labs. Colored stones and gem ID, should be fun! Actually going to learn what all these instruments I bought can do for me. So far they have sat on the table with the covers on except the microscope, that actually gets some use.
Continuing the project into 2016 goals for this year remain the same. Build up the shop tooling, complete GG degree.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, Dan & Sally, I think I can see it, can you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:14 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ha! Barbara, I've been in that sewer before. The light you see marks the deepest hole. I think I'll take the long way around the tunnel. There is no hurry, just impatience. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ah, back to school. Started the Colored Gems course tonight. An 18month course online. Thankfully it starts out quite a bit more in depth than the essentials course. The way the curriculum is set up it takes about an hr & 1/2 to read the materials, watch the video inserts, slide shows, and 2 minutes to take the quiz. So I can usually start by 7 and be done by 10 and complete a chapter a night, same as the other courses. You say how does that equal 3 hrs? Fridge runs, dog interruptions, texts, naps. Its an online course! Best classroom environment ever. Even comes with my recliner. How awesome is that?
Realized 2 things this week. 1st, I need a large area magnifying glass with a light. 2nd I need a new soldering iron. My equipment and my eyes got old. I was wondering if an instant heat soldering station would put out enough heat? They were really new when I was getting out of electronics repair. Had to fix the new silver chain that holds Sally's cross around her neck. ^%*& bird! shiny.. must bite.. Birds! Nothing major, found a new jump ring. Working under the 10x microscope is a bit more difficult than a magnifying lens. The only soldering tool I have left is a soldering gun I found in the trash and fixed. Its like trying to solder with a baseball bat in the glove box of a smart car. Maybe an iron wont work on the jewelry bench, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see. I'm really not a fan of a torch unless I'm plumbing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:16 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

March already! Studies going well completing pearls section of colored stones this week. That leaves about 10 chapters to completion or abut a month. That means another final coming up. I believe I will go back over the diamond course quizes again after the final to stay fresh since I haven't scheduled any Labs yet. Then I guess I will sign up for the last course of colored stone ID.
Labs are the only problem. First there is the requirement of being PD up front. Then the travel $$ and time off work. 3 separate times. What I wouldn't give for a campus in Chicago, or Minneapolis, or something closer. I did see Labs offered in Wisconsin but not for the classes I've completed. Timing is everything!
Garage mining starts soon! Pops, at 80 is recovering from a knee surgery and needs exercise so I set up the pulse jig in the heated garage. He can walk back and forth from the gravel to the feed hopper with a little trenching shovel of sapphire gravel as fast and often as he wants. Then sort the concentrates when he feels like it. Win,Win. Prospecting won't be possible for a few months yet. Memorial weekend is the traditional start for prospecting the high country.
The garage/shop is getting some needed electrical work. Tearing out some old cabinates and rebuilding a better work area. The project lives on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:37 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Congratulations on getting so far so fast, not to mention squeezing some extra employment time out of the company.
I have to mention that using lead solder on jewellery is a bad idea. First, it is a poison, second, it's mechanical properties leave a lot to be desired and third, should you or anyone else try to repair the joint with silver solder later it will just fly into ashes.
I have to say that I have been so impressed with your determination and work rate that, should you see your way to visiting I would be happy to give you 14 days tuition in my own jewellery workshop which should give you enough familiarity with the tools to get straight into production.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:12 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Wow Alan, im not sure what to say? Thank you is a good start. Im trying very hard to keep going on the studies. Its a struggle to say the least. The oil patch has come to a grinding halt. As a family we are doing what we can to keep one sons welding business going, and diversifying into seasonal services of lawn care, snow removal, handy man run by the other son. Sally and I both work and support the boys as needed. Free cash to complete our projects has dried up. We wouldnt know what to do if we didnt support our boys. Would feel worse if we couldnt. So we help at the expense of our dreams in hope of their successes. This is normal here.
For you to offer a training session is great encouragement! Time will tell what I can or cant do. But first I will finish my GG. It may run a year longer than I'd hoped but its only time.
Regards, Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

This may be a bit odd. I decided to apply for a scholarship at GIA. I saw that this was the month to apply so I've gone through the paces and filled out the app. I still need to round up a letter of recommendation. With any luck I will get one in time to file. I dont think it will be like taxes and accept a late filing. I had to giggle just a bit, they ask why you need it. Really? Um, because it would be nice if someone else would help pay? I could put the $$ to use making purchases for the shop. 5 K would pay for a faceting machine, or any number of other pieces of equipment.
Im not a very good cheerleader for myself, when it comes to all hail the great and wonderful me, I usually rely on actions not words. Too many years of martial arts I guess. Honesty, integrity, perseverance, humility, respect, obedience, indomitable spirit. Learn, practice, perfect, and pass on your knowledge. You end up applying it to everything you do, but you tend to do it quietly. So when they ask you why you deserve it, the self promotion feels out of place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:13 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

I took the time to look back at some of the threads I wrote to see if I was still on the same track as when I started. Yes, and no. I can see I've come a long ways since the first questions I asked here. Always interesting to review your own progress.

I see a much better understanding of the business of jewelry in general. That said there is a lot yet to learn. However, I still find my interest in the repair, design, and manufacture of jewelry is growing. Selling what you make or stock pays the bills, but my people skills across the counter need more work than my ability to fix things. I would prefer Sally handled sales and I build and fix.

Only 4 classes left in the colored stones course. Then review for a couple weeks before I line up my proctor again for the final. Assuming I pass, its on to Barbra's favorite subject of identifying colored stones. Finally get to break out the instruments and put them to use. See if I can ask a question for every week I spend in the course. So far thats been about 12 weeks per course. Oh yeah I can easily ask Barbra a dozen questions. The trick will be if I can ask one that she has never been asked before!

Armed with more knowledge of the different colored stones, my interest in cutting & polishing is growing. Been doing more research geared towards that end. I still like the Ultra Tech V5 for a faceting machine. And now I'm starting to understand a bit more about laps, polishing compounds, dops, glue vs wax. How it all comes together to create a gem from a stone. WAY COOL!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Oh yeah I can easily ask Barbra a dozen questions. The trick will be if I can ask one that she has never been asked before!

:wink: I am asked questions every day that I never thought about before that moment. Keep those questions coming.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:25 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Ya Hoo! completed the course work for colored stones! Now spend a week or so in review and set up for the final exam. Im laughing, I completed the colored stones before I paid off my Diamond grading course. I will take a short break before I start colored stone ID. Make the final payments on Diamond course before I add the expense of the next one. Happy Easter!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next