January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I was contacted about a Sapphire sale.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:33 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hi,
I would like to start by thanking the moderators for providing us with such a wonderful platform and for the members for participating and being helpful. I am a young guy from the UK and was recently contacted by a very close childhood friend that I can vouch for (he currently lives overseas , we both used to). Basically his business partner knows a middle man in the Gem industry in Sri Lanka.
they contacted me if I could find buyers in Europe and the Uk for some Sapphires. they provided me with pictures of the certifications (GRS and Gubelin Labs) and on their websites the reports came out positives.
They provided me with pictures and videos of the Sapphires and even wrote on a paper adding my name and number on it. But the catch is seller wants the buyer to come to Sri Lanka to check the Sapphires for themselves, and ready to sponsor the trip with the lodgings. But all the prospect buyers told me they want to see it in the UK which seller says he cant.
Problem is I don't have the hands on experience to distinguish between imitation and real ones (even thought I read about the topics and have a general idea). So even then I cant go to Sri Lanka and check because it would be useless.
I do have pics and videos.
thanks.

Attachments:
image1.jpeg.jpg
image1.jpeg.jpg [ 161.21 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]
 Post subject: Re: I was contacted about a Sapphire sale.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:10 pm 

So a business partner of a friend knows a middle man who is looking for a client for high end sapphires?

I don't think you want any part of this deal. It sounds like a mess.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:45 am 

Stephen Challener wrote:
So a business partner of a friend knows a middle man who is looking for a client for high end sapphires?

That is exactly how it is. “If” the deals are genuine that means there could be considerable commissions to be earned..
Thing is i am not sure who is being uncooperative either the seller or the middle man ( i deduced he might not want us to get in contact with seller directly to preserve his interests).
Yes it does sound like a mess. But i grew up overseas in various countries africa and middle east and they are messy like that. Unlike here in the UK.
Its a very weird situation. For now i have nothing to lose so im trying to gain more experience and figure it out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 am 

Stephen Challener wrote:

Hi , I have replied to you using my phone but it seems like it wasn't posted. it is as you say a mess, but growing up in various Arabic countries and African you can indeed describe their business dealing as a mess, unlike here in the UK but I am not sure about Sri Lanka tho, thing is currently I have nothing to lose and if the deals turn out genuine there would be good commission to be made. I have two theories about why the seller is being difficult, either it is not genuine or the middle man does not want us to contact the seller direct to undermine him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

No one who is a serious buyer needs to go to these lengths to buy a sapphire. There is no shortage of well established local sources.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 pm 
Valued Contributor

voxhaulf wrote:
I am a young guy from the UK and was recently contacted by a very close childhood friend that I can vouch for (he currently lives overseas , we both used to). Basically his business partner knows a middle man in the Gem industry in Sri Lanka.

No offense but that sounds pretty sketchy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:43 am 

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
No one who is a serious buyer needs to go to these lengths to buy a sapphire. There is no shortage of well established local sources.

I am sure there are , especially for smaller ones but the ones this seller has are mostly over 100carat. Which i suppose wouldnt make them easy to sell in the first place. But i agree buyer shouldnt go through this trouble. Unless there is something we are not being told. Have skepticism about the middle man but who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:44 am 

Dioptase wrote:
voxhaulf wrote:
I am a young guy from the UK and was recently contacted by a very close childhood friend that I can vouch for (he currently lives overseas , we both used to). Basically his business partner knows a middle man in the Gem industry in Sri Lanka.

It does , doesnt it? There is a chance it could be sketchy hence why and my friend are trying to learn more about gems. Just for that piece of mind in case it wasnt a sham would be a waste of opportunity.
But definitely something smells

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am 

Dioptase wrote:
voxhaulf wrote:

I contacted the lab of the certificate i attached. Number checks but i asked them the name of who commissioned the certificate, they said they cannot divulge that information. I knew they would say that to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

:smt102
Your point?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 pm 
Valued Contributor

voxhaulf wrote:
It does , doesnt it? There is a chance it could be sketchy hence why and my friend are trying to learn more about gems. Just for that piece of mind in case it wasnt a sham would be a waste of opportunity.
But definitely something smells

Look, the market for sapphire is well structured, very efficient and competitive. For stones this large, the dealers and brokers know what they are doing. Why the hell would they need you and your friend who have no real connection nor knowledge of the trade (yet)?

Run away, it screams scam.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am 
Gold Member

So, you have a friend who wants to broker a very expensive stone so he can earn commission. My guess is that he is not a professional in the gem industry. You want to get in touch with the owner directly to go around your "friend". You are also have no knowledge of the gem industry.

Despite what you say about doing business in Africa and the Middle East, the rules of honesty and loyalty to friends and business associates doesn't change. I have also done business in these regions my whole life.

Frankly, you do not come across as someone most of us would like to do business with.

The stone in question has already traveled outside of Sri Lanka at a minimum to get the lab reports. Probably has been shown around for purpose of sale as well. As stone like this is likely known in the market. I am betting that if I traveled to Sri Lanka I could locate this stone, and its owner(s) with a few days effort.

Given all of the above, what is it that you expect to get from us? Why are you posting here?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm 

1bwana1 wrote:
So, you have a friend who wants to broker a very expensive stone so he can earn commission. My guess is that he is not a professional in the gem industry. You want to get in touch with the owner directly to go around your "friend". You are also have no knowledge of the gem industry.

Despite what you say about doing business in Africa and the Middle East, the rules of honesty and loyalty to friends and business associates doesn't change. I have also done business in these regions my whole life.

Frankly, you do not come across as someone most of us would like to do business with.

The stone in question has already traveled outside of Sri Lanka at a minimum to get the lab reports. Probably has been shown around for purpose of sale as well. As stone like this is likely known in the market. I am betting that if I traveled to Sri Lanka I could locate this stone, and its owner(s) with a few days effort.

Given all of the above, what is it that you expect to get from us? Why are you posting here?

I did not come here to do 'business' with anyone here I stated clearly that I am total newcomer and just asking for advice from professionals, sure you might be able to track them but I don't have any experience. I am willing to take risk to go there and check myself but that would be pissing in the wind since I have no tangible gem trading experience. so don't take it personally. all I am asking is for some hints and advice.
I am not here to do business with you or scam you.
thanks if you can refrain from such hints.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:40 pm 

This opportunity (if we can call it that) opened my interest in valuable gemstones even more , albeit i dont think i will be seeing this deal through as it does sound a bit off even to me. I was self studying about gemstones and find myself more attracted to theis world. I will probably end up pursuing a formal education in it once i am financially able until then i am trying my best to learn from the kind people here , and that is my intention.
Not to do “business” with you as you unkindly remarked.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Fair enough.
I think everyone here agrees, get your education first.
Your scenario sounds like a scam, probably because it IS a scam.
Rather than spend money pursuing this pipe dream, use it on furthering your education.