January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help me identify?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 pm 
Established Member

Good day everyone. I just got started in gemmology and I'm reading Beginner's Guide to Gemmology by Peter G Read. Right now I'm about 40% through. It's a bit challenging (it doesn't illustrate most of its explanations so I'm not sure what it means sometimes) and well, sort of outdated but I'm managing (on a tangent, if someone has a recommendation for a better book I'm all ears).

I got into gemology because I make jewelry. The non-fine kind, with jump rings, wire, acrylic, etc. But I want to get started in stone setting in silver. I decided to buy some Cubic Zirconia from a Chinese provider a while ago. I still have the samples (50 2mm round cut clear pieces and a 5mm round piece from another manufacturer). Recently I've thought of purchasing more and got a quote for a larger order (different cuts, sizes, etc.). However, today I was studying some more on gems and it occurred to me that I might not have ordered CZ at all.

I began examining the stones, but it's really challenging. I ran the culet of one sample across glass and I couldn't notice any scratches on either piece (keep in mind I pressed it with my finger; I don't have tweezers to hold them). I then dragged it across plastic with the same results, so this test proved non conclusive for me. I have some thread counter loupes and a vernier, but the loupes are mementos so I can't create a makeshift calibrated microscope to check the refraction (also I don't see the difference between focusing it on the culet and on the table, if it makes sense). I also checked it under one of those UV light bug zappers, and it kind of shone white with the faintest of blues.

As for the "fire" of the stone: I have never ever seen a CZ tagged as such in a jewelry so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. But my stones shine white under a LED light. They display a few more different colors under the sun, though.

As for the density, I know a 5mm round cut CZ should weigh more or less .5ct but I read flint glass can have a similar density. I'll still weigh it tomorrow when I go to college. I'll also see if we have a short wave UV light to test if the stone shines brown or yellow, and take pictures. I can upload the pictures I've taken so far if requested, as well.

Does anybody have recommendations of other tests I can try, or know if this is indeed just glass? I don't really have much money nor access to a gemologist and just started building up my tool set. I'm tempted to order one of those natural faceted stone sets certified by the GIA but I'm not American (shipping+tariff costs) and anyways the carat is pricey for my budget.

Post subject: Re: Help me identify?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glasspremia and welcome to the forum.
Cubic zirconia is quite inexpensive to manufacture, so it is unlikely that you got snookered.

1. Forget the scratch test. You can cleave a diamond by trying to see if it will scratch glass. Anything of equal hardness will scratch itself. Glass will scratch glass. *

2. The specific gravity of CZ is between 5.65 and 5.95.
Yttrium stabilized cubic zirconia: = 5.95
Calcium oxide stabilized cubic zirconia: = 5.65

Diamond's specific gravity is 3.52. That makes CZ approximately 1.7X denser.
Therefore, a 5mm diamond weighs just shy of 0.50ct....a 5mm CZ would weigh approximately 0.85ct. (.50 x 1.7=0.85)

When CZ is viewed with a small light from the backside, it will show a monochromatic orange flash on the pavilion:

These clues should help.

* Hardness tests should only be used when you don't care if you destroy your unknown. Use hardness points to scratch the unknown, not the unknown to scratch other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

One more thing, may I suggest you download the Handbook of Gemmology

You will never regret it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm 
Established Member

Thank you for your welcome and your response, Barbra. I'm worried mostly because I read flint glass is cheaper than CZ and other suppliers of synthetic gemstones quoted greater prices for a stone of similar size, color, cut, and supposed quality. The 5mm round cut ones cost me $0.028 (USD) each, or basically 3 cents. Meanwhile another retailer is listing them for $0.28 USD.

I don't mind breaking the stone. The 2mm ones were bought on a whim and it's unlikely I'll be able to mount them properly (I only have my dad's tools at my disposal, and he's not even remotely close to a jeweler). So if there are any definitive tests I can conduct that might break the stone I would love to know.

Oh god... I checked size by carat tables for CZ and they stated it was .5ct. Now I'm checking the diamond ones and they say the same. You're right then; it's gotta be 0,85ct. I'll check for that.

As for the orange flash: I have used my phone's flash and a LED flashlight but at most I can see a bit of a rainbow shine. What sort of small light should I use?

Also, I forgot to mention: it does this to a dot. Not sure if glass also behaves like this:

Thanks Barbra. With the recent purchases I made I'll be a bit tight of hobby money these days but I'll definitely buy that one when I get some more :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:59 pm 
Gold Member

glasspremia wrote:
Does anybody have recommendations of other tests I can try, or know if this is indeed just glass?

Touch it to your tongue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm 
Established Member

Thank you for your response.

I rinsed the 5mm one because God knows how much stuff I've dragged it through in my tests. Then I dried it off. It felt really cold against the tip of my tongue, so I'm guessing it is glass after all. Again, I've never licked a gemstone so I'm not too sure. But since it shines white and was pretty cheap I guess I got duped.

I'll be able to weigh it in a couple of hours.

I'm still waiting for an order to arrive (you could tell me Mexican couriers travel by giant tortoise and I'd believe you). It cost me a few bucks for 100 5mm round cut clear pieces. Fortunately the larger order hasn't been paid yet (which frees up some money for the book!). I wasn't going to order after all because I wanted to buy through Amazon and the seller didn't make a new post for my order, but linked me to a listing of a cheaper item and told me to buy it 10 times (for a total of 1000 6,5mm round clear cut "CZ" instead of 2000 assorted color and cut 3mm - 14mm pieces). Seemed risky to me; not sure what the Amazon policy would be if I had a complaint.

Reading through the forum I heard Mod Barbra sells stones, but the link to the shop was defunct or otherwise unavailable (I can't remember). Are there any approved sources for a newbie like me where I can buy an assorted lot? My little glass gems look great and all but I don't want to support a possible scammer. Plus I feel it wouldn't be too educational anyways... can I get faceted stones for cheaper than $0.12 the carat, or should I get the ones at that price? They're apparently pretty bad quality but suit my purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

You have Dr. Hanneman's suggestion backwards.
Glass is warm to the touch, stone cold.

The weight should be definitive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm 
Established Member

Thank you very much for all your help, guys. You've been really attentive.

Sorry. I read CZ was an insulator on Wikipedia so I assumed it worked that way. Looking at the thermal conductivity tables it seems both have very low values (~1 or below for glass, 1.7-2.7 for CZ)... Maybe it was cold because I ran it through water first. Just now I pressed it against my lips and it still feels really cold, though, but again: I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I estimated the SG of the stone and it's 5.55 going by the "Estimating the Carat Weight of Mounted Gems" link on this forum and 5.73 going by a diamond size chart and using the SG of reference of 3.50. I'm not sure how good the Vernier I used is -I did buy it from China...-, but it measured up to 2 decimal points of a milimeter. Seems the density does check out.

I'm so confused :oops: . I think I'll just get the natural ones and practice with those in the meantime.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Please supply the mm size and the actual weight of a stone.

I'll explain how to get the specific gravity using that information.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 pm 
Established Member

Oh, thank you very much! I was wondering if I had used the units wrong when applying the formula; it took me a bit of fumbling around.

Round cut:

5.05mm diameter
3.07mm culet to table
.15~.16 grams (digital scale kinda flickered between the values and didn't give me any more digits, sorry for the inaccuracy).

Please don't be lead glass, please don't be lead glass...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

There are 5 carats in a gram.
0.16 X 5= 0.80

Your 5 mm unknown weighs approximately 0.80 carats.

If diamond the 5mm would weigh 0.50
0.50 x 1.7 (The correction for cz) = 0.85

Taking into consideration that your gram scale is not as accurate as a calibrated carat scale, I'd say you have CZ.