January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: chrome tourmaline
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:53 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

A couple of gem sellers on eBay have off and on been listing for sale gems that they advertise as 'chrome tourmaline' with an origin of Brazil. The photos may be actual or 'borrowed' from another seller (hate that ebay allows or even encourages this practice) so not sure the color is indicative of anything, but many of them are a darkish green with grey or brown in them, not the bright Kelly-chrome color I'd expect. I've searched several references and can find nothing about any new mining of "chrome tourmaline" in Brazil, and all I'm seeing is that it comes only from central Africa...which is what I've always known. I emailed one of the sellers about this, got no response back, and they've continued listing Brazilian chrome tourmaline gems that look crappy. So my question is: am I wrong in believing that there are no "chrome tourmaline" sources in Brazil, and that the gems shouldn't look darkish green with heavy brown or grey tones?

Post subject: Re: chrome tourmaline
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 pm 

You can certainly get chromium-bearing tourmaline with poor coloration, but I have never heard of it coming from Brazil. Wouldn't put it past Brazil of course, but I think it would get commented on in the literature.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Stephen: thanks for answer. I've seen chrome tourmaline (the real stuff) that's included or slightly off-color, but haven't seen it the muddy, ugly color one of these eBay sellers is listing...but I guess it's possible. Thanks for verifying unlikelihood of Brazilian origin. I noticed that this seller had been listing for cheap prices, then when I asked questions, he upped the listing price, then when no one bought it, the price is down again like it's regular green tourmaline. So that's suspicious. Many eBay sellers have a place for potential buyers to ask questions which are then listed for all to see; recently this one seller took that out, so newbies are open to being cheated. It's always "caveat emptor" but so many beginners seem to be want to believe that all sellers are decent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:45 pm 
Valued Contributor

Im replying to this post as i have 'been there done that', chrome tourmaline, the real stuff is found in africa, tanzania, nigeria area, usually a dark green color with the added accent to change color under a chelsea filter or x-ray film, to a red color, from green, the extra fine material will do the same, but will also change color using an incandescent light source without the filter material because of extra chrome within the material. 12 yrs ago i bought 5 stones from a dealer, he had 6 & i let the last one go. the dealer had a hard time trying to repl the stones he sold me. today value for good chrome stones average @ $1000.00 to $1500.00/ct, if u can find the stuff-it is rare- :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm 
Gold Member

ruby302 wrote:
the dealer had a hard time trying to repl the stones he sold me. today value for good chrome stones average @ $1000.00 to $1500.00/ct, if u can find the stuff-it is rare- :shock: 8)

I have Tanzanian chrome tourmaline, rough and cut. Getting it is not that hard, just need to know the right people in TZ. Selling it for $1,000 to $1,150 is much harder. Selling in the range of $200 to $600 seems more in line. Just saying...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

I have to agree with 1bwana1.
Perhaps your dealer does not have direct connections and his prices have been stepped on a few times before reaching him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:12 am 
Valued Contributor

1bwana1 wrote:
ruby302 wrote:
the dealer had a hard time trying to repl the stones he sold me. today value for good chrome stones average @ $1000.00 to $1500.00/ct, if u can find the stuff-it is rare- :shock: 8)

I have Tanzanian chrome tourmaline, rough and cut. Getting it is not that hard, just need to know the right people in TZ. Selling it for $1,000 to $1,150 is much harder. Selling in the range of $200 to $600 seems more in line. Just saying...
Ur own quote is saying this stuff is not easy to find, the right people!, real chrome tourmaline is a different 'animal' than green tourmaline & does have unique properties going for it. My argument all along. Fine Color Green: vstbG, BG, vslbG 5/4
Chrome .5 to 1 carat 1 to 5 carats
$100 to $500/ct $100 to $2000/ct. This info is from the IGS web giving the retail values for this stuff at todays values. Im limited to my sources because im not in the business, a hobbist. Most gems for sale today average @ 1-4cts/stone, i think the chrome is a limiting factor in the gems growth in nature-I read & report- :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 am 
Gold Member

Sorry Ruby302, I was just trying to give you some insight to the real state of the market.

To buy rough at the right price, and in decent quantities, in TZ, you do need to know the dealers there. However, as a hobbyist a walk down India Street in Arusha should get you what you want in cut stones.

To buy fine cut stones here in the U.S. a walk down the isles at any of the AGTA show should give you a plentiful selection at the prices I quoted.

There is good production in the last year or so. A deposit in Kenya, the Commander mine in TZ, and the traditional sources combine to make a reasonable supply. All of these are true chrome tourmalines.

I hope you take this information in the spirit it is intended, and are open to learn from it.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 am 
Valued Contributor

1bwana1 wrote:
Sorry Ruby302, I was just trying to give you some insight to the real state of the market.

To buy rough at the right price, and in decent quantities, in TZ, you do need to know the dealers there. However, as a hobbyist a walk down India Street in Arusha should get you what you want in cut stones.

To buy fine cut stones here in the U.S. a walk down the isles at any of the AGTA show should give you a plentiful selection at the prices I quoted.

There is good production in the last year or so. A deposit in Kenya, the Commander mine in TZ, and the traditional sources combine to make a reasonable supply. All of these are true chrome tourmalines.

I hope you take this information in the spirit it is intended, and are open to learn from it.

Steve
thanku, ruby- 8)