January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: lighting for photographing/evaluating color on Imp Topaz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 pm 

Hello I tried posting in another part of the site but it wasn't the right one, hope this is. I am new to gemology and have a hobbyist's interest. I have an Imperial Topaz that I have been trying to photograph and evaluate color on. My question as the title implies is two-fold first what is a good beginning lighting setup for photos and second when looking at the stone what lighting is optimum to evaluate color? I took a few shots with less than satisfying results using my Canon Rebel with 28-300 aspherical macro lens and small light-box with fluorescent squiggle bulbs on either side and then with just an incandescent spot overhead, again with less than stellar results. Any help for this "newbie" would be GREATLY appreciated!

Admin edit:Information from a previous post in the wrong category:
Quote:
Hello, I am new here and gemology in general so please excuse my newbie questions. I inherited a large Imperial Topaz and would like to know what type of lighting is used when evaluating color and photographing to best effect. I took some shots with my Canon Rebel and
Tamron 28-300 aspherical macro lens with very unsatisfactory results. I used a small lightbox with a squiggle fluorescent diffused on each side and with just an incandescent spot overhead. I was unimpressed with my results any suggestions?

Attachments:
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg [ 14.84 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]
 Post subject: Re: lighting for photographing/evaluating color on Imp Topaz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:04 pm 

the photo above was under the fluorescent lights as is the one numbered 1712. the other here was under the incandescent spot. the stone was on white foam-core.

Attachments:
IMG_1720.jpg
IMG_1720.jpg [ 17.04 KiB | Viewed 1063 times ]
IMG_1712.jpg
IMG_1712.jpg [ 16.34 KiB | Viewed 1063 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:42 am 

That's an interesting stone. I would not have guessed topaz from the photo because of the lack of apparent pleochroism, but it is a real beauty.
I suspect it's a combination of two factors. One, the light just isn't intense enough so your background ends up looking kind of grey. The other is that the stone is windowed, and photos are pretty unforgiving to windowed stones in general.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:16 am 
Gold Member

By the way, Rogerg, are you quite sure that this IS an imperial topaz ? Or is it just named so ?
Only asking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:59 am 

Isi wrote:
By the way, Rogerg, are you quite sure that this IS an imperial topaz ? Or is it just named so
Only asking.

Pretty sure. I was told by one appraiser "it isn't even a stone" so I took it to a lab near me and he tested it several ways and confirmed Topaz and he said it met Imperial standards just not top color. His initial reaction before testing was "nice color" After comparing it to a set of GIA color crystal samples he called it golden orange. I see so much called imperial that is less Salmon than this and that is the reason for the evaluation lighting part to the question. Do gemologists change lighting based on type of material being looked at or is it done under standard lighting? Thanks again all!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

Stephen Challener wrote:
That's an interesting stone. I would not have guessed topaz from the photo because of the lack of apparent pleochroism, but it is a real beauty.
I suspect it's a combination of two factors. One, the light just isn't intense enough so your background ends up looking kind of grey. The other is that the stone is windowed, and photos are pretty unforgiving to windowed stones in general.
The second expert mentioned the windowing as well. Would a re-cut improve it if done by a decent cutter? The stone is 76cts so if worthwile I wouldn't mind doing it I guess. As to the lighting intensity I'll try to add more and try some more shots. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:28 pm 

These are with overhead ceiling fluorescent, side flourescents, and full intensity incandescent spot. Shouls I be trying 100w clip lights instead?
ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:07 pm 
Gold Member

Try placing the stone on glass or transparent plastic so that the reflected images will be out of focus.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm 

As they say "If at first....." I think I am progressing? I am including one of my lighting so you might make suggestions.