Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Faceting Diagram Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:06 pm 
Established Member

Hello,

I like a cushion cut with brilliant crown and big step cut pavilion. I have seen a lot of this style on the tourmaline online. I have seen a teacher at the faceting school in Thailand posted these style online. I borrowed this photo on instagram and attached this photo as an example to show what I am looking for.

I have talked to two stone cutters that have more than twenty years of experience in cutting stones. They are unable to find this faceting diagram. They faceting style is very modern and what I am looking for is more classic looking.

Where can I find this type of faceting diagram? I don’t know faceting stone and I don’t know what is the problem between my communication with the cutters. I thought it is not difficult to duplicate this style since it is widely popular. I thought it is a common brilliant crown with an asscher pavilion. Someone please tell me what the difficulty is to duplicate this style.

Thank you so much in advance

Attachments:
58035B1C-DF7C-4D28-AFD9-D57665E035D2.jpeg
58035B1C-DF7C-4D28-AFD9-D57665E035D2.jpeg [ 639.15 KiB | Viewed 90 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Faceting Diagram Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:53 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

That is a classic mixed cut. Step cut pavilion, brilliant cut crown.

This is the most common cut done on fine quality precious stones such as Ruby and Sapphire.

It is one of my favorites styles, and provides for very high yields.

I doubt that you will find a diagram for it in any meet point style cutting as done in the U.S..

I can teach you to cut it is you like.

Rather than cutting to a cookbook diagram, within limits, you should let the stone tell you the angles and proportions. I can teach you to make these decisions as well.

How experienced are you?

What machine to you cut on?

Where do you live?

Steve

Post subject: Re: Faceting Diagram Help
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 pm 
Established Member

1bwana1 wrote:
That is a classic mixed cut. Step cut pavilion, brilliant cut crown.

This is the most common cut done on fine quality precious stones such as Ruby and Sapphire.

It is one of my favorites styles, and provides for very high yields.

I doubt that you will find a diagram for it in any meet point style cutting as done in the U.S..

I can teach you to cut it is you like.

Rather than cutting to a cookbook diagram, within limits, you should let the stone tell you the angles and proportions. I can teach you to make these decisions as well.

How experienced are you?

What machine to you cut on?

Where do you live?

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am not into faceting right now and I have no experience in faceting. I want a diagram because I want to show it to my cutter. I just commissioned a garnet from him. The garnet rough is 20 carats and he cut a 6 carat stone. I have showed him the mixed cut I want but he showed me a faceting diagram that is not mixed cut. I am fine with brilliant cut pavilion and crown. However, I am not 100% satisfied with the outline of the stone and it is slightly different from my expectation. His style is modern and I prefer the more classic or antique style. I still have other stones with him and he will cut my other stones. I want to have better communication with him and to show him a diagram I like. I don’t know what is the difficulty in faceting. He listens to me and is willing to communicate. The garnet has plenty of material to work with and I don’t know why he make the decision to have a diagram.