Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Toxicity
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:55 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello everyone!

I am slightly (quite a bit) freaking out and I would wholeheartedly appreciate your opinion.

I have a Scolecite ring and as it turns out, it may contain asbestos. Would the stone be considered potentially hazardous to one's health or is the situation similar as with the Tiger's eye where asbestos is well-embedded/transformed?

I have also come across an article about Lepidococrite containing arsenic and I am now doubly freaking out. Should I be careful with these stones? My Lepidococrite looks like this:

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Toxicity
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 pm 

Had a look at that list over at IGS? They should take it down, it's worse than useless.
Scolecite is a zeolite group mineral, and can't form as asbestos. I assume that list put asbestos next to it because soem specimens come from Asbestos, canada and might have associsted asbestos, but most specimens will be from India where that isn't a concern.
Even if the quartz were shot through with arsenic it wouldn't likely matter since it isn't surface reaching, but you don't need to worry even about that. These 'lepidocrocite' inclusions are actually hematite, it is a wrong identification which has spread pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:32 am 

Hi,

yeah, I was wondering if there was a misinterpretation with regards to Asbestos as the location and the actual compound.

Thank you so much for putting my mind to ease. I am super grateful.

Happy holidays everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:05 am 

Hi, it's me, freaking out again.

How about Charoite radioactivity? (Why do people sell potentially radioactive jewelry? And why do I buy it? #-o )

How do I know? Thanks a million!

Edit: is it possible the situation regarding K-40 is similar to the one with let's say, bananas that are also classified as "slightly naturally radioactive"? Am I simply overthinking all of this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Please be aware that Kaja can not receive private messages until she has 10 approved posts.

Just adding a personal observation. Kaja, do you breathe? I presume so.
Have you checked the level of known carcinogenic pollutants you take in with every breath?

As far as the potential threat of radiation:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 am 

That was surely an interesting read. Thank you.

I am only trying to be safe, especially since I have children around. I have found this:

GRapi = 154.18 (Gamma Ray American Petroleum Institute Units)
Concentration of Charoite per GRapi unit = 0.65 (%)

But I have no idea how is this converted to Sv thus I have no real information about how much radiation there is from the stone. It is only 8.5 grams, but nevertheless, I would like to know whether it is safe to leave it on a nightstand or keep it around my kids (or me) the whole day.

Charoite consists of potassium, barium and strontium, among other elements, and all of these have radioactive isotopes. I believe there is no Steacyite present in my specimen, so I guess I can presume there is no Thorium in it. Black spots I presume belong to Aegerine that is also not radioactive.

So, my question still stands, how safe is it? And if anyone can put the above GRapi units into perspective I would be utterly grateful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

I personally find your concerns......eccentric.
But, since you are rather obsessed with potential toxic consequences when certain minerals are added to your environment, why don't you simply choose not to add them to your environment?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:33 am 

Some people like to collect stamps, some collect crystals. I happen to be one of those who like stones, however I have only recently been made aware that some of those are not just "nice decorations" and might pose some risk to the human health. And I most certainly do not want to put my kids at risk, just because I have a thing for crystals. I've got a pound of stones on my bed alone, so heck yeah I would want to know whether such placement is risky. Wouldn't you?

The only rational step for me to take was to go through my collection, and get exact information about each stone I own. Charoite is the last one and the information I was able to find on the web is conflicting. And since I obviously lack knowledge I came here to ask for help.

If my questions are undesirable, let me know, and I will go elsewhere. Just please don't waste your time judging.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

May I suggest looking up your minerals on Webmineral
http://www.webmineral.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl

One of the criteria for every mineral on their site, which is most ALL minerals known, is "Toxicity". That section should answer all your concerns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:51 pm 

Outside of things dangerous to ingest (ie, if you keep orpiment at toddler eye level), unless you have a friable asbestos collection or an incredible assortment of illegally irradiated cat's eye gems you likely don't need to be concerned about this. Radiation dangers are very few and far between in thr mineral world, and it's hard to imagine literal tons of dangerously radioactive material entering the US from Russia and nobody batting an eye.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

As anyone who has been with us for any length of time realizes, we frown on the spread of misinformation.
We will always try to provide information or links that will clarify misunderstandings but there comes a point when enough is enough.
Quote:
I came here to ask for help.
If my questions are undesirable, let me know, and I will go elsewhere. Just please don't waste your time judging.

Didn't you get help?. I think "elsewhere" is the perfect place for you. Please don't let us keep you. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:34 pm 

IGS needs to get rid of their list, it is actively misinforming people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:56 am 

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
May I suggest looking up your minerals on Webmineral
http://www.webmineral.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl

One of the criteria for every mineral on their site, which is most ALL minerals known, is "Toxicity". That section should answer all your concerns.

Thank you. I have already checked the information on that website - this it the place where I have found the GRapi info posted above, which I am still struggling to decipher.

Stephen Challener wrote:
Outside of things dangerous to ingest (ie, if you keep orpiment at toddler eye level), unless you have a friable asbestos collection or an incredible assortment of illegally irradiated cat's eye gems you likely don't need to be concerned about this. Radiation dangers are very few and far between in thr mineral world, and it's hard to imagine literal tons of dangerously radioactive material entering the US from Russia and nobody batting an eye.

Thank you. I got a little concerned about all this, since one can easily purchase almost any stone nowadays, but you have a valid point. Much appreciated.

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
As anyone who has been with us for any length of time realizes, we frown on the spread of misinformation.
We will always try to provide information or links that will clarify misunderstandings but there comes a point when enough is enough.
Quote:
I came here to ask for help.

Didn't you get help?. I think "elsewhere" is the perfect place for you. Please don't let us keep you. :wink:

Duly noted. Thank you for the sincerity.

Wishing everyone all the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm 
Established Member

To follow on to this topic a bit -- I'd like to ask as I'm finding scant little about it online -

What's the toxicity of certain substances like Cerium Oxide, Aluminum Oxide, Chromium Oxide, and the various diamond powders?

Do you wear protective equipment when handling these in powder form? Do wear half-mask respirators? Gloves? I know nanoparticles can be particularly rough on the lungs - and if I'm going to be polishing with a lot of these I want to make sure I go in properly equipped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:59 pm 
Gold Member

Concerning the toxicity of minerals:
https://www.academia.edu/40433628/An_Ov ... s_Toxicity

And toxicological data for other substances:
https://chem.nlm.nih.gov/chemidplus/chemidheavy.jsp