January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Glass? Inclusions that appear to be air bubbles.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:39 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I am sorry for the enlarged pieces of fluff on the gemstone. I cleaned it beforehand, but I think the fibres made it look worse.
However, I think the inclusions / bubbles can be seen fairly clearly.
To my eye they do not look 'round' so may be bubbles left behind from crystals.

The piece so far I can confirm is not ruby. Using the hodgkinson method it seems to be singly refractive. I have handled many rubies and they always show the blue/red when held up to the eye against a light source. This shows just a single dot of dark pink in all the facets.

I have handled many older pieces of gold jewellery with glass stones, and it is always very clearly glass. But I'm less certain with this, I think it may be a gem. It is set in a 9ct gold piece of jewellery flanked with diamonds (tested).

Additionally, if I hold a diamond tester to it, it goes up 2 bars. Glass doesn't usually register.

Attachments:
closeo up inclusions.JPG
closeo up inclusions.JPG [ 89.05 KiB | Viewed 3051 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Glass? Inclusions that appear to be air bubbles.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:22 pm 
Gold Member

Maybe one of the experts will correct me. Have you considered it possibly being glass infusion (filled) ruby? Which might explain a not so deterministic eye test. Looks like bubbles to me as well.
Can you post a pic of the stone for an overall view?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Please post a picture of the entire piece, not a closeup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:38 pm 
Gold Member

Probably not going to. Like the other post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps you could list for us naturally occurring red gems with bubbles, millymolly. I'm not aware of any.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:22 pm 

Thank you for all your help.

There are naturally occurring bubbles in many gems, including spinel, which comes in this colour.
I am surprised this is not known by you guys? It is even easily searched on google.

Air bubbles in glass tend to be perfectly round. As you can see in this close up photo I provided, these have a flattish appearance, and you can also see the inclusion inside one of the bubbles, where another mineral may have formed, creating the space for the bubble. I'm not sure how a long view of the gem will help, as you won't be able to see the bubbles. I have looked at posts and seen you asking people for better/closer photos so thought this was the best shot.

I was just after other's opinion who may have handled more gems than me, but it appears that won't be forthcoming, but thank you all anyway.

I can confirm myself this is not a ruby, nor a flame infused ruby, as I handle gems in a professional setting, being a licenced seller of antique and vintage jewellery.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

No, there are not bubbles in natural spinel.
Perhaps you, or whomever is supplying you with this misinformation, is confusing cavities in natural gemstones which may appear “bubble-like” but are actually angular and not so smoothly rounded. Natural gemstones can also have phase inclusions, composed of a fluid and a gas or a fluid and a solid, and three-phase inclusions with fluid, gas and a solid.
None of the pictures you posted are phase inclusions.....they are bubbles.

Perhaps you should review Dick Hughes page on spinel inclusions.
https://lotusgemology.com/index.php/lib ... aesthetics

Please be aware that this platform is an educational site intended to inform all members with peer reviewed, accurate, and vetted information. When you are asked to supply a photo, it is for the benefit of all, not just you.

If this is something you can not comply with, you are wasting our time and my bandwidth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:46 pm 

Barbra Voltaire, FGG wrote:
No, there are not bubbles in natural spinel.
Perhaps you, or whomever is supplying you with this misinformation, is confusing cavities in natural gemstones which may appear “bubble-like” but are actually angular and not so smoothly rounded. Natural gemstones can also have two-phase inclusions, composed of a fluid and a gas or a fluid and a solid, and three-phase inclusions with fluid, gas and a solid.
None of the pictures you posted are phase inclusions.....they are bubbles.

With all due respect Barbara, I may have used the term bubbles incorrectly, but was asking nicely for opinions on the close up photo provided. I myself have taught beginners in other subjects and find the attitudes on this forum confusing. It is not conducive to a harmonious environment, nor a learning environment... many of the posts involve berating beginners on their photos and not providing any helpful information beyond what they could google themselves.

I Have actually looked at photos of inclusions in spinel and other gems and can see similarities in the inclusions in this stone under microscope, hence the post to this forum. The photograph was as close up as I could get with my camera, but not as close as the microscopic view. There are also other gems that have inclusions that may be mistaken for air bubbles. I am familiar with airbubbles in glass, hence this post, as these bubble like inclusions look different.

I do apologise for wasting all of your time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

With all due respect, MillyMolly, I am just trying to help you be better in what you are doing.
I have been employed as a jewellery historian, gemologist and fine jewellery appraiser for more years than I care to admit....actually some decades now.

Yes, you used the term "bubble" incorrectly when referring to natural spinel. Not the end of the world.
Please, shoot a pic of the ring and post it. We are actually pretty good at narrowing down possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:51 am 
Gold Member

Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas.

Pretty much we all here want to learn something from one another.
I use terms wrong on here all the time, can't take it so personal. I can't count how many times, I am trying to dig out of my mistaken gem verbage. Post a picture good bad or out of focus, not a photo contest.