January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gem setting for kitsunemen (diamond shape) cut
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:42 am 

Any ideas on a setting for this, I'm guessing maybe a custom bezel setting but please any ideas would be lovely. I love the color of this stone and wouldn't mind making it into a ring.

Post subject: Re: Gem setting for kitsunemen (diamond shape) cut
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:17 am 
Valued Contributor

First of all let me start that it's hard to give you advice on setting without having a few more pictures, especially side views both down the 'short' and 'long' sides of the stone. It's also important to know its real-life size. But I can give you a few general pointers based on what I see...

You did not say what material your stone is? It could be citrine, but it might be a garnet or a whole slew of other things as well. As a general rule of thumb, anything softer than sapphire will wear relatively rapidly in a ring that is worn all the time. You will need to take this into account in your decision. Bezel setting will protect the corners and the sides, but not the visible top side of your stone.

I searched for the design and found two stones that look quite different from yours. In this case, that's a good thing. The sharp points on the sides of the other two stones would be my major concern for setting. Your stone does not have them, so that increases your options. If you intend the ring for use on special occasions, you can consider a three-prong wire setting: one prong at the 'table' side and one at each 'pavillion' side. A four-prong wire setting is also possible: one prong at each 'crown' side, and one at each 'pavillion' side. These will be cheaper to make and set than a bezel setting, but you will need to decide if you want to live with the increased risk of damage to your stone...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:29 pm 

Thank you that helps a lot. I like the four prong idea, maybe a marquise setting because the angles on the top and bottom girdle are the same with the very top one being an exception. Sorry for the low information I tend to leave out a lot of stuff forgive me, it is a spessertite garnet, around .75+ carats, my scale is in the mail I had to weigh it on a gram scale and do some calculations, it's 4.9X3.9x3.0mm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:44 pm 

Well the marquise may be too thing I found one for an oval at 5x4, it's made in silver so it's a cheap way just to test how the stone would fit. Would maybe cast it into gold if it fit and the shank was so wobbly =) http://m.ebay.com/itm/401098670410
Your idea if the three prong might be easier I didn't realize how close to a heart the stone is, more so than an oval so a heart type setting may be the best. I can't believe I didn't see that!!