January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Opal pendent, Australian...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:14 pm 

Yeah, only some will do that, and they often won't do it forever--at least not in our NC humidity. Freshly-exposed surfaces are often quite thirsty but most of them equilibrate over time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:11 am 
Gold Member

Sure wish I had customers that would pay $1,600 for that basket setting with bail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

LOL Allen :lol: Yeah, not to mention a fair dinkum price for the opals I've cut. Mannnn, I'm sitting on a gold mine! :wink:

Seriously though, yes, crystal base with a yellowy appearance is common, I have a couple here that I've cut.
Plus you get the crystal from Mintabie too.
The brooch with dangle that I posted in the Latest jewellery creation thread has 3 LR crystals and the 2 on the right are Mintabie. In the hand they are a very good match but you can notice a slight difference in the photo where the blue isn't as prominent from that angle.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:42 am 
Valued Contributor

This post is just a quick comment @ the pricing on the appraisal, the posted values are for retail replacement insurance, if one goes to a jeweler to build or do any custom work these prices are negotiable & can be worked. This appraisal is from a person who not only appraises but owned his own store at one time so he is familiar with several sides of the business, listed values of the pendent, wholesale, is in the $12,000.00 to $15,000.00 range at todays prices, my estimate on info I have- 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:24 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

All these professional appraisers have me really confused. Maybe one of our members who does appraisals can help me out. Shouldn't an insurance replacement appraisal reflect a realistic cost of replacing an item at retail? Is there anywhere online a place to check the qualifications and training of these professional appraisers? Is it not unusual for one pro to appraise an item at 15K and another to appraise the same item at 33K? Here is a nice 14ct crystal opal from a well known dealer. The retail selling price is just over 100 bucks/ct. So here is Nicky Newark's unprofessional, no qualification insurance replacement( high retail) for a 14ct. crystal opal- $1500. bucks. 34K if I put in the glovebox of my new Subaru.

Attachments:
wegel-tena-ethiopia-opal-gem-opa-00187-l.jpg
wegel-tena-ethiopia-opal-gem-opa-00187-l.jpg [ 17.82 KiB | Viewed 3035 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:33 am 
Gold Member

These appraisals definitely look fanciful to say the least.
But then, it is not the first time... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

Barbra, always a good responce- 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Somewhat relevant sidebar:

An appraiser needs to define the market in which he is basing the valuation and actually make note of it in the documentation.
The replacement in an online market is very different from most brick and mortar stores, which is different from a secondary market, which is different from the line of an award winning designer or high end retailer (T&Co. VCA, Cartier, Winston) blah blah blah.

Many appraisers do not do the research necessary to properly define where an item should be replaced, they simply base value on what THEY could replace it for using their own metal-smiths, manufacturers and stone sources.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:44 am 
Valued Contributor

Attachment:
alex aligned feb 2015 A+  daylight.JPG
alex aligned feb 2015 A+ daylight.JPG [ 71.96 KiB | Viewed 2976 times ]
Attachment:
alex pend back A+.JPG
alex pend back A+.JPG [ 66.39 KiB | Viewed 2976 times ]
Let me give the forum an example of what might be called extreme, maybe not-The alexandrite pendent is about 1.5" in diameter, 14kt white gold, contains 17 baskets of different sized stones arranged as I asked for. The appraisal was done in 2014, price of gold @$1400.00/ounce, one of my appraisers, in the business of selling/appraising with secondary contacts for reference estimated per basket, @$250.00/ea, retail, a little more for the connecting goldwork, & time to build this framework & fit each stone to the prongs for a secure fit. The cost so far @$4500.00, on top of that now there is shop time or markup, in this case close to $1500.00. The total now in 2014 $$ is @$6000.00 for the gold work, at 8grms of 14kt gold in the frame. The jeweler who did the build estimated the cost to the shop at 1/3 or more of the $4500.00 figure. Everyone has to get paid so the cost do add up, this is pretty much industry standard. The price of gold today is a little lower but labor cost have gone up several %'s but this is the cost of doing business. The finished frame is not as well finished as commercial quality but it does work & shows the stones very well- 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:23 am 
Gold Member

I worked in the trade as a bench jeweler for five different shops over several years and find your figures way out of line. Not to mention the design being aesthetically displeasing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:25 am 
Valued Contributor

1st off, all comments appreciated, Im putting this stuff in settings that show the stones, Im not caring about looks as to a finished commercial setting which would be complimentary but way out of my price range, Im dealing with a jeweler who builds to my designs, ugly or not, these stones show very well for what they are & the proof is in the final apprs. Most of the settings are of the same ilk some done a little better but the settings are to show the stones for the gems they are. As for pricing, these were done when gold was a little higher per ounce & I was paying for labor, parts, & shoptime at a retail level. Even today, the 'ugly frame' would be higher, maybe a little better finished because it would be built from scratch, which the present frame has been worked at least 1/2 dozen times, but it still does what I think it should, for me. I get comments, not very good at times, but its a HOBBY for me & the stones do their thing well- :roll: 8)