Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Finding a Jeweler to set a custom cut stone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm 
Valued Contributor

To all,

Any recommendations on finding a jeweler to set a stone you cut? It may take me months, but my daughter has asked for me to cut her a stone that she can wear from her father. She loves the halo style settings (if I'm using the term correctly, diamonds surround the stone). I've looked through Tripps, Rio, Etc and the only settings that look good are from vendors that require a commercial account.

So, not looking at the big box jewelers, is there a list of independent jewelers, just visit and chat with some some local ones, etc. How would you go about finding someone who could provide the setting and mount it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

Post subject: Re: Finding a Jeweler to set a custom cut stone
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm 
Gold Member

Quote:
So, not looking at the big box jewelers, is there a list of independent jewelers,

Some still advertise in the Yellow Pages, but my first try would be asking Google for "jewelers in <my town>". or "near me", if you have location services turned on.

You probably want a jeweler who can order something off the shelf from Stuller and do the setting, but if you want to spend money, there are always manufacturing jewelers :-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 pm 

If you're in Cary, come to the Labor Day gem show at the Raleigh fair grounds in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:26 am 
Valued Contributor

Stephen,

Thanks for the heads up. That looks like fun :)

Faceter: When turned into a zombie, they stumble around crying "roooouuuuggghhhh"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:03 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Try searching the Website of "Cooksons" a company in Vittoria Street, Birmingham England. They post all over Europe and I'm sure they would post to the US. you may get grief from your Customs, but at least you will get the setting you need.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

Alan,

Thanks, new place to spend money on :) However, like most fathers, when you daughter turns those blue eyes on you and says "please", somehow the cost issue goes away (within reason, those blue eyes only get to so many zeros before my brain goes "tilt") :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

Point taken! One of the good things about dealing with Cooksons is that, owing to our strict hallmarking regulations (if a piece is not up to the standard declared, they smash it up and send you the bits back), you are sure of getting parts of the standard requested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 pm 
Gold Member

If you're not in a big hurry I can make a 3d model and some renderings for you Bob. I've been a professional jeweler for the last 30 years or so, but things kind of took a downturn, (or maybe it was just my attitude towards crazy people). In any case I am now doing design on boat interiors as a day job and do have some time to do design and make stuff. Let me know a ring size, the center stone size and some idea of what sorts of styles she finds attractive and I'll do a model for you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

michael_e.

Thanks so much for the offer. I'm saving this thread and as soon as I get a stone I'm happy enough with, let's work together. Would love to take you up on the offer and also want to support the people here that have helped me so much with dumb questions.

I actually have a 12 carat Parti colored sapphire that I got from Barry in AU. However, before I cut something like that, I'd like to practice and get my yield up above what it is now (can you say I'd get a better yield from a bank savings account than I currently do from my cutting).

On the positive side, over the last month of my return to this board, I've learned so much from all the questions that I hope to get to at least a 25% yield on my next stone :)

Thanks Michael :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:36 pm 
Gold Member

That sounds fine Bob. Before cutting that sapphire, let me know the size of the rough and the shape of the finished stone you'd like. I can optimize the angles and do a life like rendering to get a design that will provide the best overall shape and yield, (particularly with some good pictures of the rough from different angles). No cost of course, I get to do this stuff just for fun now!

Michael E.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:05 pm 
Valued Contributor

To all,

Just another question if you don't mind. I was looking at Halo settings, and I have the following question.

My daughter's ring size is 6.5, when you add in the halo setting, I'm thinking an 8mm round is about the biggest stone that wouldn't look out of place on her finger. As professionals, would you say that's about right? I don't want her to look like she's wearing something garish and out-sized for such a small finger.

PS: I know it depends upon the halo, but let's assume it's a nice little diamond halo or small stones, not something the Queen of Sheba would wear :)

My thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:42 pm 
Gold Member

A size 6.5 finger is about 17mm across. Using one point diamonds, (1.3mm in dia.), plus metalwork plus a little gap and an 8mm stone would be maybe 12mm across. You could go as high as 10mm with the stone and not be too big, IMO. As long as the width of the ring is smaller than the diameter of her finger, it'll look fine. Here's an easy ring/finger size chart if you're interested:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ring_size.htm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:13 am 
Valued Contributor

Michael,

Thanks a bunch, that was truly helpful and I appreciate it. Trying to learn everything I can and all of you keep coming through for me :)