January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 am 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

:lol: tim, mehoose, and alberto!

gosh, thresh, seems you and i are thinking alike in hopes of getting thine hands on a copy of dr. hanneman's book, "guide to affordable gemology." :wink: i would even like to get a copy of his "naming gem garnets," still kicking myself for not been able to get it before. :cry:

rolling pennies today, seriously, just to receive a copy from dr. hanneman of the 2008 sinkankas symposium materials with his rosetta stone on garnets. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:19 pm 
I already have things lying around for Euclase, Peridot and Fibrolite.

None of them read very well (the former is too short to submit for anything anyway), but there's the framework for something there.

What happens if this makes two people submit huge contributions for the same topic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hasn't happened yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

thresh wrote:
I'll have to make sure that I do an ALMOST first-class job... since the only way to get my hands on Bill Hanneman's Guide to Affordable Gemology (until the third edition) is to place second, heh...:P

hi thresh!
:D i just received my goodies in the mail from dr. hanneman today!! the gemological materials and information are worth well more than what i paid for them. you should pm dr. hanneman to find out more!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

BUT, you could win a copy for free if you are a GP winner. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:38 pm 

:lol: i'm gonna do my very best to win a copy, ms. barbra!! have a lot of material to sort and read through--procrastination is not what i need right now either. and IF, IF i win a copy of his book, gotta save some money to purchase some of his gemmo tools!!

when you had the garnet crossword a while back with "naming gem garnets" to go to the winners, there were 2 questions on the crossword puzzle i couldn't figure out no matter how much googling i did, lol.

i was so excited when i got the materials from dr. hanneman in the mail today!! he was kind enough to sign everything for me, too!! now, to process and apply what i've read!! after dinner, gonna put the rosetta stone together!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:41 am 
I'll be honest, I also would rather win the runner-up's prizes.

I have written something publish-able on Fibrolite (a modification of what I had already written), but will throw my hat into this ring on the much broader topic of Peridot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Admin

If you win First Prize and would rather have one of the books offered as second prize, that would be fine.

:D Looking forward to your entry....and you can submit more than one article, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:58 pm 

Looks like we need a few more copies of Dr Bills's book... :D

whattayoureckon dr Bill? you think there is room for a 'special gemologyproject limited edition'? After all, the Gemology Project fits in the 'affordable gemology' concept quite nicely...

I'll do the printing if you want me to...

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:21 pm 

Tim wrote:
Looks like we need a few more copies of Dr Bills's book... :D
whattayoureckon dr Bill? you think there is room for a 'special gemologyproject limited edition'? After all, the Gemology Project fits in the 'affordable gemology' concept quite nicely...
I'll do the printing if you want me to...
;)

ultra- 8) !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:25 pm 

Only two more weeks left!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:49 pm 

:shock: mine's ready Except i'm waiting on permission for use of some really cool photographs.

do we still send our entry to ms. barbra?

who will evaluate the entries? administators and mods? or do forum members get a chance to vote for entries?

how will the entries be evaluated? subject matter? etc... gemology training/knowledge of submitter (so this submitter won't appear as too big of a lost soul...)

:oops: unfortunately i don't know how to do wiki formatting, so again i will have to submit it in word format. hope whomever does the "code" for the project doesn't strangle me. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

LOL! Well, you're braver than I, Ginger! I was thinking of doing a write-up for pyrite, but then saw what others have done, and figured I couldn't match them :oops: . Look forward to seeing all the entries!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:20 am 

G-kid,

yes, you can send your entries to Barbra or to me, we'll see that it gets formatted in wiki style and published.

The entries will be valued alltogether. There is no 'categories'. Every contribution is a part of the greater collective and will be judged as such.

The judges are this board's administration team.

Modo, PLEASE don't think that way. If everybody uses that excuse there would be very little info on the site. EVERY contribution is valuable and it can be as simple as a picture, a video, or a short description of a certain gem material.

To all: nobody expects a full blown research article of G&G quality... the objective is to build that database with the power of the collective. One person may write a bit of text and the other just may be able to illustrate it. Active participation is what we seek. "Hey, that article could do with an image and I happen to have one on my harddrive" ---> please upload it!
If you read an article and you think: "I know something that isn't on there yet" ---> please write it down! It is a wiki, it should be a living thing buzzing with activity.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:52 am 

tim,

i wrote an "informative/descriptive" essay, so i hope and pray that it will be accepted as an entry for the contest. ? (lol, definitely NoT G&G-quality!!) still waiting on those blasted pictures though. guess i should resend my requests, or look elsewhere. :cry:

modo,
i think you should go ahead and write/type your essay on 'pyrite,' i am sure you'll do an excellent job!! (lol, at least you know what you are talking about and have lots of gemmo training and skills. me? not an ounce of either.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next