January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Gem-A Syllabus: How much mineralogy is taught?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm 
Platinum Member

Beyond cost of course, I'd ask exactly what the "Degree" implies and the rate of job placement for graduates.

The difference between building an established resume and taking a course in hopes of finding a job related discipline is quite a gap to bridge.

If it's hobby with no financial repercussions, then have at it. I think compound interest is a good motive even with educational investment.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:00 am 
africanuck wrote:
Cost of program.

£3290 for UK or EU students
£5000 for UK or EU students who already hold an equivalent or higher degree
£10,650 for Overseas students (presumably anyone not UK or EU)

Not sure why it would be more expensive for people who already hold an equivalent degree, that's a bit odd to me.

The full economic cost of tuition is charged only to those who come to study here from other parts of the world (ex-EU). There is a higher level of tax-payer subsidy given to those studying for a first degree than to those taking a second course of study. Since the 1990s, student from any state in the EU can take a course in any other state in the Union and obtain the same rate of subsidy from the host-country taxpayers as does a host-country citizen. Since students from outside the EU pay the full cost anyway, it's immaterial whether or not they already have a first degree.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:36 am 

Good answer!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:30 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

£10,650 is pretty insane, at least where I come from. There are quite a few universities here where you could complete all four years of your degree (Bsc Hons) full-time for a fair amount less than that. Not sure how they work out their costs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:23 am 
Lukeness wrote:
£10,650 is pretty insane, at least where I come from. There are quite a few universities here where you could complete all four years of your degree (Bsc Hons) full-time for a fair amount less than that. Not sure how they work out their costs.

Hi there,

The whole cost base of nearly everything is higher here than it is in RSA. I used to execute contracts in RSA (Jo'burg) every now and again. These were always for European/Middle Eastern interests since our prices were way too high for the local market to bear. This was not because our % margin was higher but because our cost base was higher. There was no way as a UK-based company that we could operate profitably at RSA rates. Here, a family doctor (paid by the UK National Health Service) - i.e. paid out of taxes) typically earns above ZAR 1,200,000 p.a. And a doctor in RSA earns how much? The average annual wage here is now above ZAR 300,000. You see the problem?

This issue has global implications. More and more businesses in the EU and US are re-locating to countries that have a lower cost base.

You have a great country - be happy :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

How much mineralogy is in Gem-A compared to GIA, if someone here knows? I've started doing the most basic colored gem course through the GIA and while I'm aware that it isn't probably representative of the entire GG program, it does strike me as incredibly geared towards retail. Everything covered and even the "In more advanced courses you'll learn about X" comments are incredibly basic geology to me. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Which course are you taking?
Colored Stone Essentials?
That course is geared at a retail level understanding of colored stones.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:24 pm 

That's the one, but at the same time I have taken a look at some of the more advanced materials and it still seems short on seriously spammer mineralogy. I'm not sure what the real situation is, as obviously most people have only taken their course (either GG or Gem-A), but there has to be at least one person out there who has either done both or is intimately familiar with both, so it's worth asking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Asked and answered:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14081

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:47 am 

Yes, I saw that. And thank you for the reply. That said, I don't see how seeking out more than one perspective, especially considering I asked in a somewhat similar thread instead of creating a duplicate, is unacceptable. The question I've asked isn't one that just one person can say "Here's the answer!" to, it's highly dependent on personal perspectives and bias.

Again though, thank you for your answer, I was just hoping to get some other perspectives as well, especially considering the crowd sorting that likely ocurrs (Gem-A people are more likely to be here than the GIA forum, for example).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 am 

Sure you can fish for more than one reaction.

I can't speak for the new GIA course but found the Gem-A course somewhat superficial as well. I did the course in 2008 and a new one has come out since. I have heard that even less crystallography etc is being taught these days. I guess in the end it boils down to your own dedication, there is plenty of good books, online info and mouth to mouth info to be acquired when you put in the effort...

In regard to gemological education through established schools: if you don't need the title to impress possible employers you are better off saving your money and spending it on books, gear, stones and travels...

my 2c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:18 pm 

I'm not concerned about a job with it, the GG is purely a personal enrichment thing. As I mentioned in the other thread in the GIA subforum, I'm currently working on an advanced degrees in geology, so I'm no stranger to mineralogy. One of the things that you don't spend much time looking at in a geo program is gems, so I was hoping to gain gem identification skills through a GG like program. In the meantime, I'd benefit from more gem-specific mineralogy considering things like peridot and garnet are common in the kinds of rocks I work with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Tim on this.
If you are already proficient in the mineralogy part. Get some good textbooks and spend time with some already experienced gemologist to learn the use of the trade tools. No need to spend the funds to aquire a title you do not need.

Guide to affordable gemology by Dr Hannemann, Practical gemmology by Robert Webster and Gemmologists Compendium by Robert Webster are, along with a couple of more books, good to begin with. Not to forget the Gemology Project and abundance of knowledge shared around here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm 

Igneous,

I'd recommend 'Gemology' by Hurlbutt, the Harvard mineralogy professor, a rather unknown book here among gemologists but a very comprehensive and high standard work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 pm 
Valued Contributor

Tim wrote:
I'd recommend 'Gemology' by Hurlbutt, the Harvard mineralogy professor, a rather unknown book here among gemologists but a very comprehensive and high standard work.

Oooh, I didn't realize Hurlbutt wrote a gemology book. He wrote my crystallography textbook! Will have to check that out.

Igneous: Just wanted to say that I hear you on the mineralogical level of the GIA coursework. Even the "geology" of diamond lessons in D&DG were not that... uh... well, they were pretty basic. (I have a degree in geology as well, but haven't done any grad work.)

As others have said, if you don't need the GG designation for something career-wise, I'd go with book-learning. I'm working my way through Webster's Gems and it's been quite rewarding from a mineralogical standpoint. (I'm working my way through GIA because I want to go into appraisal - I need the initials after my name to get anywhere.)