January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kingston Uni follow up course price drop for EU students
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 pm 

Hi all,

I'm rounding things off after a few months of rockhounding in Australia and started oriëntating myself towards further education for when I get back to Europe. As you may know, Kingston University in London offers a follow up course for Gem-A grads which can lead to a BSc in gemmology and applied mineralogy after one year and a MSc after another year.

Last time I checked, foreign students (me) had to cough up £9 grand for this course, placing it well out of my reach. When I had another look a few minutes ago I noticed that things have changed a little:

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate ... nding.html

It pays off to be holding a EU passport these days, the British are getting Europe-softer... Europeans now pay the same as UK residents (£3,465) which is very interesting and makes this opportunity a bit more affordable. Add being able to work in the UK when you are a EU resident and all of a sudden stuff gets really interesting.

Hmmmmm... :-k

Addendum: things got more expensive for ex-EU students, it's 11 something grand for them now, making it an even more exotic enterprise.

Post subject: Re: Kingston Uni follow up course price drop for EU students
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 am 
Site Admin

That's what I need to bring home every month, at least. Anyone got a well payed part time job in the UK to offer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:35 am 

For info for anyone looking into this (which I am), there is an Open Day at Kingston this coming Saturday, Jan. 14th that starts at 11:30am. I haven't gotten a definitive "yes or no" on whether or not they have decided to hold it this fall, so anyone who is serious about it should contact the school and let them know, as they are basing their decision on numbers.

As taken directly from the email I received:

Quote:
The School of Geography, Geology and the Environment will be holding an Open Day this coming Saturday – 14th January.

The open day program starts at 11.30 (most people arrive between 11 and 11.30). Come to the Penrhyn Road site and then follow sighs from the main Reception to our base room (parking is normally available on site on Saturdays as the University car parks are open to the public). 

I will plan to talk about the course at 12 noon. This will cover rationale, course structure and content. After that I will organise a tour of the facilities and then will be able to answer questions in one to one meetings if required.

Conny, Tim... If it's the same as last time, the course is Tues, Wed and Thurs. Eurostar and Ryanair are your friends... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Well it's very tempting but it would cost me 60% of my income that is unfortunately too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

I would be interested in knowing whether the university utilizes and teaches the use of various spectrographic instruments.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:38 pm 

I'll fill you in on what they have to say next week. I note that one of the new members here is Alastair, who completed the course last year. If he hops online, maybe he'll give us some idea of what instruments they focused on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
I would be interested in knowing whether the university utilizes and teaches the use of various spectrographic instruments.

I'd guess so after reading their description of the course:

Quote:
What will you study?
The course is designed to develop an overview of the field of gemmology and applied mineralogy. In particular we aim to explore:

- the geological settings and evolution of gem and mineral deposits;
- modern analytical methods that might shed light on their evolution;
- and how those methods may be used to address some of the critical issues in modern-day gemmology – especially those that relate to conflict stones, treated stones and synthetic stones.

Nuck, please do relay any info you will get on the open day here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:33 pm 

Will do!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

As someone with a BSc in geology, I can say it never did me much good career-wise.
One needs minimally a Maters to work with GIA in their colored stone lab and jewelry stores don't much care.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hehe, I have decided it will be better for me to spend the money on some quality rough :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm 

Cheers, Julie! :) A 3 day week is something that could work...

Barbra, as someone without a BSc in geology I can say that I can use some more education :wink:

Conny: that.... or nappies :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:41 am 

Barbra,

Following this degree, Kingston has the option to continue on to a "Masters by Research" degree that also is supposed to take one year to complete.

As for me personally, I have no idea how much longer we are likely to be in London so I'm jumping on the opportunity to further educate myself while I have it. The next country is more than likely to be one where I won't have that possibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Tim wrote:
Conny: that.... or nappies :)

Well, nappies are already in the budget and covered for :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 am 
There has long been a need to fill the large `void` between the quaint little techniques used in the standard qualifications, and the advanced science that modern gem testing has now finally caught up to. This course is the closest to being that bridge... but at a cost.

3K+, plus accommodation (Kingston is in the fairly-affluent South-West London suburbs, that hug the upstream Thames), 1 or 2 years lost earnings etc.

As Barbra says, you`ll still be a further year short of earning your way into the academic `Masters` club, and even then you`ll be competing for the very-rare lab positions with M(Sci)/PHDs in Solid State Physics, Chemical Analysis and various other non-gemological fields. It wouldn`t take long to cram these scientists to becoming `gem savvy`. Plus, as mentioned, the commercial/retail operations won`t give a damn.

If it`s purely for learning (rather than career) reasons, surely there must be a way to network, intern etc., that doesn`t involve dumping more $$$/years into the gem education pot.

Working-for-free is better than paying-to-learn, both in terms of learning, CV and finances. Surely with your vast network in this industry you can find somewhere to teach you these things without having to shell out more $$$ for over-priced education?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 pm 

OK... Overview on the Open Day.

First up, the price. The Professor in charge, Peter Treloar, was unaware that the price is listed £3,500 since as far as he knew it was at £8,500. He is going to verify if it really is at 3.5, given that he specifically asked and confirmed with them the price not too long ago and he was told £8,500. I'll let you all know what he says.

Second, they still haven't made a decision on whether or not it will go ahead. Mostly, that will depend on numbers, which may go up if the price really has dropped, since he had a number of people who were interested who have backed out due to cost.

Third, if they do decide to hold it this year, it will likely be the last time that they do. Apparently there will be some restructuring going on in how the school year is managed that would make it difficult to field. In addition, and for the same reason, if they do hold it this year it's likely that doing it part time won't be an option as that makes it a two year program.

On to the practical aspects. Classes would be Tues afternoon, Wed and Thurs full day.
On site they have:
Raman, SEM, XRF, ICP-AES, ICPMS, XRD, UV/Vis and FTIR. Plus a photomicroscopy CL and UV set up. They also have access to LIBS but not onsite.
The Masters by Research will still be possible to do even if the Advanced Gemmology course is stopped. It's not necessary to be present at the school in order to do it, depending on what subject you choose to research and/or whether or not you have access to equipment locally if analytical data is needed.

There will be another open day next month. If anyone wants the email address of Mr. Treloar, drop me a PM.