January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Gem-A partnering with JTV to offer Gemmology Couses
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Admin

That History of Art Degree would be mandatory for a museum curator and would put a gallery owner in a superior position.

Gee.....you can put a negative spin on anything. It's a gift.

Why don't we give Gem-A's efforts with JTV a chance before blasting it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:00 pm 
Barbra Voltaire wrote:
That History of Art Degree would be mandatory for a museum curator and would put a gallery owner in a superior position.

I don't even want to imagine the ratio of HofA grads in the world compared to curator (etc.) positions in the world, but that's another story.

Anyway, these people are not after positions and a CV boost. They want to learn a bit about gems.

Why don't they just buy a book? Cheaper, and much less risk of being infected by corporate BS.

Gee.....you can put a negative spin on anything. It's a gift.

Yea, because I was the only one who didn't think much of this idea.

Why don't we give Gem-A's efforts with JTV a chance before blasting it?

Because it's JTV. With their record, they don't currently deserve the benefit of the doubt. It might turn out to be great, but with those bellends (JTV, not Gem-A) I'm leaning towards "guilty until proven innocent".

IIRC you like JTV, and I've seen first-hand how you feel about any criticism of Gem-A, but I feel Gem-A are lowering themselves by having anything to do with JTV. Yes, I have had a few criticisms of Gem-A in the past (no lab, no diamonds in FGA, awful careers service, non-vocational qualification content etc.), but compared to JTV they are angels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Although I have a degree in Geology my minor was Art History....it's actually helped professionally.

Education is whatever you make of it.

Folks who watch JTV are really passionate about gems.
Have you ever watched it, Simon? Lots of hype but they have presented a lot of obscure stones the public would otherwise be unaware of.
I know several gemologists who started their gem obsession buying mixed parcels on JTV....it snowballed into signing up for the GIA just to learn how to ID their stash.
Give it a chance.

Quote:
Because it's JTV. With their record, they don't currently deserve the benefit of the doubt.

What specifically are you referring to?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:00 am 

I think that any effort to educate a wide gem buying public, of which the JTV audience is part, can't be a bad thing.

One would hope that at the same time, the Gem-A might beef up their website to include some consumer friendly info sections.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:06 pm 
Valued Contributor

For me it goes like this- If it costs 29.99, doesn't matter what it is. If it's rare and of high quality you won't find it on JTV and while genuine education is never a bad thing, I do not trust them to change their business practices. It is a deal and I get it, JTV tries to appear honest and GEM-A hopes to increase it's revenues. But as an FGA I don't like it. Don't want to hear one day- you have GEM-A's diploma? They are those guys from JTV, right?

Gems & Jewellery Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm 
Established Member

I emailed JTV last month after seeing one of their on air personalities talking about how easy it is to identify gemstones after purchasing their spectroscope and dichroscope and I let them know that they were doing a great disservice to consumers by telling them that if they just purchase their equipment they will be able to identify gemstones and in fact it takes a long time, practice, and education in order to effectively identify gemstones. With some of the DVDs that they are putting out, showing how to use some of the equipment, and now this new partnership with Gem-A, I am hopeful that they are trying to better educate their consumers and I hope this becomes a good avenue for a start to more gemological education for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 am 

For those looking for the information that is posted directly on JTV.Com on the "gembasics", here it is:

https://www.jtv.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-jtv-Site/default/Page-Show?cid=gem-a_landing_page

I hope it doesn't cheapen the reputation of Gem-A. I've talked with customer service reps in jewelry stores who have said they are gemologists because they've gotten a "diamondologist" certificate or taken the Essentials courses from GIA. This really bothers me because the average person may not know any different what it takes to obtain a reputable gemmology diploma.

I'm really curious about this little course and how much depth it goes into. I get they are just covering basics. I will admit, my first instinct was "I want" as with a lot of other things on JTV :wink: . I'm a fan.

Gemologist diploma (GIA)
Accredited Jewelry Professional diploma (GIA)

~Melissa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:26 am 
Valued Contributor

aha 12 lessons, yeah they are going to be really knowledgeable after that...dbender71, you think they have public good in mind? no it's profit, profit and a bit more profit, if you want people like that to change something that doesn't go together with increasing...profit, you have to shame them on national news, all big corporations are basically the same.

Gems & Jewellery Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:31 am 
Gold Member

You are quite right about the motivation, I am sure. But surely, a buying public with 12 lessons is better than one with none.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:15 am 
Site Admin

allen wrote:
You are quite right about the motivation, I am sure. But surely, a buying public with 12 lessons is better than one with none.

Exactly, Allen!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm 
Valued Contributor

If only they realise how much they still don't know, then by all means...

Gems & Jewellery Blog

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:58 pm 
Valued Contributor

I don't have a problem with JTV or gemmological education for interested collectors, hobbyists etc and I'm sure it's good for the Gem-A coffers (or at least I hope it is!)

I do have the same worry as Kane - "You have GEM-A's diploma? They are those guys from JTV, right?" Maybe that is stupid, but when you have invested a serious amount of hard-earned cash and years of study in what is supposedly the hardest gemmology qualification out there, then one wants one's Alma Mater to protect their cachet and reputation.

I think is totally crazy is the idea of coming out of a 12 lesson online course (that costs the same price as a refractometer) and being deemed a certified 'Coloured Stones Associate', and with the possibility of putting Gem-A C.S.A after your name (heck they only gave some kind of recognition to people who passed the Foundation Exams a couple of years ago).

It seems rather OTT and indicitive of more expertise than could have possibly been obtained - a bit like someone saying they studied at Cambridge University having done a 6 week summer school. I've seen a lot of people state they are a 'GIA certified Gemologist' when what it actually means is that they have done one of the courses towards the GG. Why not just issue a Gem Basics Certificate?

I'm interested as to exactly what is in the course - looking at the pics of the pack, it looks like the gem kit consists of a London Dichroscope, a Chelsea Filter, a Flexi-light, a loupe, two pairs of tweezers and a gem-cloth. If that is the lot then it's a little worrying in terms of what people are actually going to believe they can ID - especially when the advertising spiel says "The Gem-A GemBasics course is an all inclusive course that will teach you all you need to know about gemstones."

Guess I'd better sign up for it fast given how much I still need to know! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:31 pm 
Platinum Member

I took the Mayo Clinic's crash course "Neurosurgery for dummies" sponsored by the daytime soap "General Hospital."

I'm now an expert on laser incision and cauterization.

All I need now is a vict.... I mean patient.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:38 pm 
Valued Contributor

Relieved to see that sense of irony is still alive, to arms my brothers( and sisters)! :twisted: Anyway, what's done it's done but I have to tell you I have unrelated daytime job and when they lowered their standards it seemed to be good for only about 5 min and now there's no going back...

Gems & Jewellery Blog