Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: FGA - final year
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:50 pm 
Established Member

Hi!

I'm currently studying for the FGA and am hopefully going to be sitting final exams next year. At risk of sounding like a big old copy cat, it would be nice to hear from people who are also doing this or have done it. A lot of people on this forum seem to be studying with the GIA and I'm also interested in how they and their course compare with the Gem-a so if anyone could get back to me on this I'd love you forever!

Cheers M' dears!

star sapphire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:45 pm 
Platinum Member

Hi star sapphire,

There are a few more here who also are going for their FGA diploma and some who already graduated.
From my understanding Gem-A is more scientific-like and the GIA is more aimed at the people on the sales floor, but I never did the GIA courses so I don't really know.
Both are great tutoring centers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member

star sapphire, I'll join in the discussion just so you won't love only Doos. :)
It's very hard to explain difference's in the school's unless you've completed current versions of both cirriculums.

From past discussions on this, I would say that the general consensus is;

The Gem-A teaches more of the why's of gemology whereas the GIA teaches more of the therefores of gemology. That would apply to the science end of it, or the theory part.

GIA does do a good job on the practical end of it,but, I really don't know what's involved in the Gem-A's practicals. I'm sure it's thourough.

OF course, GIA places a heavy emphasis on diamonds, it's their bread and butter and they try to prepare you for the job market so you can hit the floor running.

GIA is expensive but they do a very good job on being accessible when you need them, whether it's an instructor or an extension class.

Of course, any school is basic training. The real education begins afterword's. The school's just arm you with the tools you need to build a career or pursue the finer points of gemology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:17 pm 
Established Member

Thanks you two for clearing that one up for me - oh and JB, I have enough love for everyone on this forum;

(but especially you and doos coz you answered my first post!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Doos, meet me at the schoolyard at 4 o'clock. We will fight for the love of star sapphire. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

star sapphire;

I'm not sure if you've seen this in the Gem-A's literature but they STRONGLY encourage you to read. Not just the course notes, but everything you can get your hands on.

The other thing that they stress (and this may sound obvious) is to only answer the question asked. The instructors that I had have graduated some candidates with very good marks and told us time and again to keep this in mind. Some people tend to ramble on questions and it wastes valuable time for answering other questions and does not earn you extra points. Apparently the markers have little patience for this.

I noticed from going through many of the past exams that there seems to be a large emphasis on "organics" (pearls, amber, ivory, etc.). I've never taken any of the GIA courses but everyone seems to say they stress diamonds. Although Gem-A does have extensive information on diamonds, I don't think it as dominant in Gem-A material and they spend more time with other materials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:47 am 
Gold Member

Well, I am a G.G., and I don't think GIA places as much emphasis on diamonds as people seem to think. Granted, they have 3 courses on Diamonds and Diamond Grading - but the other 5 courses are on Colored Stones. I found it to be very well rounded and my favorite part was working with actual stones to learn identification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:15 am 
Established Member

Thanks ars and moderator You've both been really helpful!

Post subject: FGA Courses in Sacramento
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:16 am 

Hi there:

My name is Mel Huth and I am the director of the California Institute of Jewelry Training in Sacramento, California. Just a little information about our school and the FGA Courses.

Just wanted everyone to know about our FGA gemology program. The California Institute of Jewelry Training (CIJT) is the first active Gem-A Allied Teaching Center in the USA. We started teaching these course in 2003.

We teach the full FGA program in residence, both days and evenings.

Our next Foundation classes start on April 3rd and another on June 19th and both last for 10 weeks, 3 days per week. The evening classes starts on April 4th and June 20th and last for approximately 18 weeks on Tues and Thurs evening and 2 Saturdays per month.

The Foundation course is basically the theory part of the FGA program. Gem observation and identification is covered but not to the extent of the Diploma course. The Foundation exam is mainly gemological theory and observation.

The next Diploma classes start on April 4th and June 20th and goes for 12 weeks, 3 days per week. The evening classes start on April 4th and June 20th and last for approximately 20-22 weeks, 2 days per week and 2 Saturdays per month.

The Diploma course is the practical part of the FGA program and is oriented toward the stones - this is where the rubber meets the road. The theory is an extension of the Foundation theory with a little added on. The largest part of the course is, however, stones, stones and more stones. During the course, 1/2 of the days are covering the course theory material and the other half is lab time. Stones, Stones and more stones. This is so important, I cannot stress it enough. All questions on the Diploma theory (non-practical) were on stones, their properties, treatments and identification. Period. Inorganic and Organic alike.

I can supply you with any information about the courses anyone would like to discuss. Please do not hesitate to call me on 916-487-1122, respond to this posting or email me at teacher@jewelrytraining.com.

Thanks,

Mel Huth
California Institute of Jewelry Training

info@mastervaluer.com
800-731-1122