Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The GO Members Trip to Habachtal June 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Cyberspace meets Hard Rock

This is all about Friendship. The word friend itself probably is one of the most misused terms in nowadays life. People seem to manage their friends via the facebook button features, adding „friends“ by a click – sorting them out by a click. It´s so easy. Nothing to care about anymore, such difficulties as trusting someone blindly, helping him when he is in a difficult situation, or letting someone show you his view of the world without trying to find a hair in the soup.

For me the Internet primarily was an instrument of information knowledge. I still am one of those persons, that like to write by hand and that are happy when they recieve a written letter. Managing contacts was more a byproduct, something that I have to admit, was a bit underrepresented. In my job I have to build up a wall between me and the rest of the people around me. As a deejay I have to guide a group of partypeople through the night, and I found out, that I do better if I see them as a collective, a mass, some kind of a swarm if you will. Picking out a few and trying to take them as a representative for the crowd proved to be not as useful as looking on the mass and their movements to find out about where to head and what to do.

I wasn´t aware, but Tim, one of the participants of our Trip told my one night when we sat at the fire, that I was one of the first few members of the forum. I looked it up, and yes he´s right, I joined in Nov 2005 and was given the member Nr. 70. The first years of my membership I was holding myself back a bit, since I am not a gemologist yet, and it needed my time to digest all the informations that came in via GO. And over the years I´ve emailed and pm´d with quite a lot of people. Still, to close the circle to my introduction, I understood the GO members as a swarm, an intellegent swarm (with a Queen in San francisco ;-)) but not yet as individuals. Having the emailadress of a person is nothing like know1ing him face to face.

Most of my contributions to this forum have to do with my quest for knowledge about the Habachtal emerald deposit. I was proud to see, that the short introduction on the matter has more that 40.000 readers over the years, and I started to work on a book project in 2007 (It´s still in progress). I also always tried to encourage other GO members to come and visit the deposit, but all of the previous attempts to form a group and organize a trip were without success.

Last winter, when I was on season in Ischgl things started to get serious. A group of members formed and we fixed a date in early June this year. It turned out to be really substantial this time. In preparation of the trip I tried to provide as much useful informations as possible (Should have been clearer on the tent thing though) and started to adjust my base camp on the hill for the awaited group of enthusiasts.

I tried my best to prepare all I could for the group of individuals that came – and although I had my doubts on how they would feel to see how a crazy austrian digger does his beloved work in the mountains, I was impressed and overwhelmed by the symphathic group that has formed up there. I would even go so far to say that we became friends, friends not in the meaning of a button in a program, but friends that lay next to each other in cold nights, worked cooked and drank together, friends that talked laughed and discussed together. We were sitting around the fire in the night and one of the repeatedly popping up matters was that we all were experiencing raised eyebrows in our counterparts face before the trip when we tried to explain where we were going to and with hom. Around the world there were similar conversations going on:

GO Member:
„I´m going to go to Austria and meet with a few friends to dig for emeralds in the National Park Hohe Tauern“
Counterpart:
“Ahh. Dig for Emeralds. Where do you know your friends from?”  
GO Member:
„From the Internet. We know each other through a forum that is dedicated to the love to stones.“
Counterpart, raising eyebrows: „ You mean that you don´t know each other yet???“

15 years ago things like that were so new that there were even movies about it. Nowadays people find each other on the net. I for my part have to say, that the week we had together was one of the most exciting weeks in my life, and definitely the most exciting week I had in Habachtal so far – Being together as a group that shares the love to science, the respect for nature, the everlasting thirst for knowledge was a heartwarming experience. Feeling how close different characters from different parts of the world can get when they share a common interest. Coming together as IP-adresses in Cyberspace and leaving as friends.

I really want to thank all the participants of the trip, Bea, Martin, Oliver and Tim for one of the greatest weeks in my life, and although I´m still a youngster ;-) I´ve seen a few! It is a miracle for me what digital conversations can lead to. And to all the GO members out there I have a message: Meet each other! Take your time, but meet ! This is such a great forum because it´s a huge aggregation of people that share something with you! We are not only Avatars and IP-Adresses, we are humans in love with stones. I really thank God for having sent me the wonderful group of GO people to Austria, I will never forget what we experienced. They all are always welcome to come back as veterans of the famous first GO dig anytime! And those of you that are interested in takin a trip to the alps – just let me know, I would love to get to know more of you personally…

But now, I´ll let the comrades report on their view of the trip, have a nice read….

Nikolaus

Post subject: Re: The GO Members Trip to Habachtal June 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 am 
Site Admin

I really enjoyed Tim and B's stories of their escapade in the remote altitudes of the Habachtal when they spun the tale in my livingroom.

It was an adventure which was not for the "faint of heart".

You guys really did some serious climbing, camping and prospecting.

I love my souvenir of the chlorite schist with the perfect little hexagonal xl.

I downloaded a few articles on the geology and mineralogy of the Habachtal if anyone is interested in copies, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:01 pm 
Valued Contributor

Here are some Impressions:

Start of the hike
the top to reach :?

first break after a short time, and already tired

the digging area

The reason

The happy crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Great write up guys.

I notice that Bea is in the final photo with Tim. I recognise both of them as met and trusted friends (In Nicholas' sense of met and approved). So who took the photo and who is going to introduce the others in their turn?.

I'm sorry i missed this meet But like Nicholas i'd like to advise us all to meet as many others as we can.. I have met several GO friends who have stopped being e-friends and become real friends..,.it's a nice glowing feeling in your stomach whenever you once again meet these folks as e-friends and know that you're more than that inside.

Good meet all of you...just sort out who's who so I can recognise you if I meet you :lol:

Yours aye

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:43 am 

:D Here you go Frank:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Great video Tim! You are now nicknamed Tim Spielberg! Oscars, give him some Oscars!

You even catched the scientific fact that the digger´s tea is the only tea in the world that burns..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:44 am 
Site Admin

VERY NICE!!! :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D> =D> :D =D> :D =D> :D =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:07 am 
Platinum Member

freakin' sweet..great little write-up Nik..love the read..nothinbg better than being around like minded folks who you can get nitty gritty with on the discusssions..sure your regular friends may raise and eye brow or two when talking about emerald, ammy's or what have you but when you can be around your friends, like folks from GO, that share a passion and love for rocks/stones/etc. it makes it that much better...the discussion and camaraderie is excellent..
good little report =D>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Tim :D :D :D :D

looks like a great time was had by all. How many carats of emmies did you end up with?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Already hated I was not able to go this year... this makes it even worse.
Nice story and vid... I'll tag along in the future, u bet :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Awesome vid!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Very kewl. I feel like I've been there now...sans the sweat and the bruising. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:31 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Oh Mrs. B. I really wished you were with us there, but I hope I get a PM from you the next time you´re in Europe - I guarantee you don´t have to drink the tea the way we did ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:50 am 

Nikolaus wrote a nice history on the deposit and posted it here!

Frank wrote:
Thanks Tim :D :D :D :D

looks like a great time was had by all. How many carats of emmies did you end up with?

~75 ct I guess... dunno really... we divided the loot before we reached a scale... I've got about 15 ct's (but I had last dibs :D )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Quote:
~75 ct I guess... dunno really... we divided the loot before we reached a scale... I've got about 15 ct's (but I had last dibs )

Seems to be a good guess for me... plus some specimens for everybody.

We were also able to dig out a scientifically important piece, from now on known as "The GO Tourmaline specimen"

It is a15 - 20 kg rounded black biotite schist rock that showed a lot of 8 - 10 cm long black tourmalines and a few small white beryls on it´s surfaces. After exvacation the group decided to donate it to a local museum, since it´s the biggest specimen of it´s size found so far. The rock itself is beeing studied and worked at now to take off layers of biotite to show the mineralization. In my recherches I found a similarily mineralized piece in an old monestary collection that shows tourmaline suns, the Tourm xls grow radiant from a center. Maybe our chunk holds that cool arrangement too? As soon as it´s cleaned and studied it will be at permanent display in the local mineral collection of the "Haus der Natur" Museum in the inner city of Salzburg. The names of the finders are there also ... So besides the greenies everybody took home there is a scientific footprint left back from our expetition....