January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Machine Dig in South Carolina this month
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:12 am 
Platinum Member

We will be putting on a machine dig this month. We are looking for participants to help dig crystals from the actual veins. It's a week long. Jan.11th-17th.
Cost is $500 per person(half shares available). This machine dig usually happens only two times a year but this time is different. There has been a machine at the mine for the last 2 months moving dirt and getting down to the largest amount of virgin ground I have seen in years. We will be searching for amethyst, smoky, the red/yellow/orange covered quartz, and any one of the rare types of quartz crystal we regularly come across.
Only handfuls of people get to experience this type of real mining. PM me on here for more details or use
thecrystalcollector@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: Machine Dig in South Carolina this month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:06 pm 
Platinum Member

Tis a shame no one wanted to come dig. Unlike the last 3-4 years of mining there, where amethyst seemed to be lacking, this time we hit some good stuff! Lots of clusters of either amethyst, smoky, or a mix of both. Dug two weeks with only a couple ammy/smoky crystals showing up .
(lots of other crystals we dug, while looking for amethyst...filled 150-200 flats worth)
Sunday we finally hit into some good crystal. What may be different about these crystals is the luster. Diamond Hill is known for it's big crystals having a matte finish. It is rare to find crystals there of any size with good shiny luster. The crystals are still covered with heavy oxide and have not been cleaned yet, but we think this time they may be shiny. That changes the whole ball game in terms of collectability, value, and status. This is the last day of the dig, which I am absent from due to a medical emergency with my better half, but as of last night the rough estimate from the machine operator, Bryan, was around $100K retail dug so far.
(very rough estimate since none of the flats have been washed or the crystals soaked in acid, but he has been mining and selling this spot for years and is usually pretty close ....I will see what he says after cleaning though) . We still didnt come close to hitting like they did in 2007-'08 digs
I will post some pics when I get on a computer and not my phone. Might wait until some are cleaned too.

Post subject: Re: Machine Dig in South Carolina this month
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:40 pm 
Valued Contributor

Jason you should post it few months ahead. people have plans