January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Maine Mineral Locality Descriptions and Maps
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:16 pm 

The Maine Geological survey has a collectors guide showing lots of collecting (gem pegmatite) sites that are open to the public
I thought it might be useful to anyone that might be close to there.
http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/expl ... apter6.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:39 pm 
Established Member

Thank you SO MUCH!!! :D
I'm in Southern New England and have been fascinated by Maine tourmaline amongst other things, so this looks follow-up-able. Yay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:40 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

turtlefeather -- those maps are very good, but you'll have to check current accessibility. Many places close down because the owners get fed up with disrespectful rockhounds.

If you're interested in getting into some of the classic locales like Mt Mica, I suggest checking out Poland Mining Camp. My wife and I went there several years ago and had a very good experience. At the time, it was around $250/day for room, board, and guided access to otherwise closed localities. We found more mineral specimens than faceting rough, but it was worth it. I don't have current contact info, but they frequently advertise in Rock & Gem and Jewelry Artist.

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 pm 
Established Member

Yeah, I've seen the Poland Mining Camp ad. I realize not all the places are available, just haven't checked it all out yet. Too many irons in the fire right now.
Will probably start on a lower scale, there's a garnet place in Western Connecticut for practically free, if it's still available. I don't even have a rock hammer yet. Been buying id tools and silver clay jewelry-making contraptions.
Thanks for the heads-up. Always appreciate it.
Turtlefeathers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:29 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

If the CT locality is Diamond Lake, my wife and I went there too. It was a small locale under some large power lines. There were plenty of garnets falling out of a schist. None of them were large (~4-5mm tops) or gemmy, but many had great crystal forms. All you needed for that one is a screwdriver (flathead for light prying) and something to put the garnets it. I guess a light rock hammer might be helpful, but winter freeze/thaw releases enough stuff that you won't have to do much work. It would be a great place for small kids, despite the poison ivy.

There is/was a pay-dig site someplace in CT that reportedly had larger garnets you could dig out. Unfortunately, we never had a chance to hunt it down. I'm not sure if it still exists.

If you're willing to go a little bit of a drive, consider Herkimer diamonds in the Middleville, NY area. The double-terminated, "water-clear" quartz in that area is a great thrill to find. A lot of it is good for wire-wrapping & much of it is facetable. It is abundant enough to pick up small ones off the ground after a rain (in the mining areas anyway). If you're good with a sledge & don't mind heavy work, large ones can be dug out of the dolomitic limestone matrix. If you go, head to the Ace of Diamonds. In all my visits, they've been the best at keeping the debris moved and giving the weekend rockhound a shot in between the pros. They even have real tools for rent. One word of warning -- goggles, gloves, long pants & good boots are a must when going after Herks. That dolomitic limestone is hard stuff & broken quartz is really, really sharp. Trust me on that point.

For the record, I'm a little jealous. I enjoyed rockhunting in the New England area. Fortunately, we're now close enough to Middleville NY to head there this summer. Unfortunately, gas prices are not going to let us get to your end of things. Good for you... a little less competition!
:wink:
Happy hunting!

<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:49 pm 
Established Member

The place in CT I was thinking of is Green's Farm. Old literature I have says when you find the place, put $2 under the mat at the house and walk out back and good luck.
I have a herk with a multi-phase inclusion, you can tip it like a floating ship in a novelty pen.
A friend brought me some fossil bivalves in some sort of mudstone from upstate NY, maybe in the Tuxedo or Woodstock area. He said it was easy to collect.
I'm not a very knowledgeable rock-hunter at all, with little experience. Really little.
However, yesterday I was looking at pink granite tombstones that seemed to have black tourmaline in them. When I tried looking that up, it seems possible.
Rising gas prices "the revenge of the fossil fuel"? lol