National Shutdowns have put the lid on most shows.
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Job vacancies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:27 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

Hello everyone..:-)

I was wondering if anyone could help...
Iv finished my diamond diploma and am looking for a job..
Does any one know of any places I could apply to in the UK (London)

Iv looked on various websites but all state they need some one who has at least 5 years experience.
It's quite difficult to gain 5 years with out any one letting me get my foot in the door. :-(

This is field that I truly have a desire to work and I will refuse to give up. :-)

I hope someone can help...
Thankyou!

Post subject: Re: Job vacancies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm 
Gemology Online Übergoddess

Keep an eye on here, plenty of avenues, get a foot in the door and see where it can lead you.
http://benchpeg.com/jobs/

Most of the fire on the wall has been put out :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:00 am 
Gold Member

How are you at design and computer stuff? These folks are looking for a design person and this is the advertisement on the Rhino site:http://www2.mcneel.com/rhinojobs/jobs.asp Check the second listing down.

Quote:
Jewellery Designer

Posted:1/6/2012

Your role will be to assist the director with designs for both clients and also new collections. The opportunity to work for us will not only allow you to develop your existing design skills, but also give you a unique opportunity to work alongside and increase your existing knowledge about precious gemstones.

Jooal is a small business and as such, day to day duties will also include merchandising and setting up the showcases in store, assisting clients and travelling to and from the workshop with stones and jewellery.

Rachelle Maxwell
Jooal Fine Jewellery
32 Berkeley Street
Mayfair
London, W1J 8EL
United Kingdom
Phone:

0207 409 2720

E-mail:

london@jooalinternational.com

Web:

www.jooalinternational.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:30 am 
Welcome to catch-22.

To be honest, most UK jewellery/related positions are in three categories:

- Jewellery design

- Bench jeweller/repairs

- High-end sales

i.e. Blue-collar skills (bench) and bullshit (high-end sales) are what is wanted, over academic knowledge; just like all industries seem to be in today`s overly-read/under-skilled Western world.

The jewellery-design demand always surprised me though, as I thought design/creative industries were massive over-saturated with graduates in general. I know a fair few graphic designers (etc.) flipping burgers, teaching English etc.

I actually thought the `diamond guys` had it a bit easier, but I think the grass is maybe not so green over there.

Give `Anchorcert` a contact. It`s in Brummie-land, rather than London, but they are diamond-dominated and look for staff from time-to-time.

However, I suspect you will end up working for free. It`s a two-way thing. Employers do take advantage, but green recruits are generally pretty disloyal. Companies are unwilling to take the `bumps` in having inexperienced staff, and then see them run for the hills one they have the experience on their CVs. Free internships are the only way to reduce the risk.

It sucks, and reeks of `rich get richer` (only those from rich families can afford to work for free in London for an extended length of time, and therefore enter an industry etc.), but it`s the lay of the land now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 am 

The Gem A has a LinkedIn group for it's grads where they post job offers (basically the ones that you would see up on the bulletin boards in-school).

You might have a talk with Doug or Claire about where some of their former grads are working. That may give you some ideas of companies who hire diamond graders. One of my classmates was hired on with Pravins before moving on to Graffs. I can't say if she's doing grading at Graffs, but it would seem likely since that's what she was doing with Pravins.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 am 
The LinkedIn jobs board had a solid start, with an interesting internship in Hong Kong, and one at Christie`s. Plus, there was a position at Solitaire labs.

Since then, however, it`s rather lost its momentum. The last four jobs were all written in French, and were 12 days ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 am 

Well, as there are French speaking FGA's, myself included, it's a good thing that they are trying to post jobs for as many of their graduates as they can and not just the English speaking ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:14 am 
africanuck wrote:
Well, as there are French speaking FGA's, myself included, it's a good thing that they are trying to post jobs for as many of their graduates as they can and not just the English speaking ones.

To be fair, I agree. However, all 4 were the same company! Should probably have been placed on a single advert, so as not to get our hopes up when "four new jobs" appears on our LinkedIn email alert.

Also, IIRC, there was quite a gap before those postings, so we`re essentially looking at one hiring company being posted in the last month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Never hurts to check the GIA's Job database which is always publicly available to serve all people within our industry.
Although the job listings are mostly in the US, international listings are also posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:41 pm 
Jooal is run by the couple with Mr. Faizal Joo in lead, I have met the guy many times and seems to be a nice chap, apply there... there'll be an experience of working at a place in Mayfair than nothing. Also, there'll be some opportunities in Hatton Garden, send some CVs, you might get lucky. Even benchpeg looks good... just send CVs and some LORs :D

michael_e wrote:
How are you at design and computer stuff? These folks are looking for a design person and this is the advertisement on the Rhino site:http://www2.mcneel.com/rhinojobs/jobs.asp Check the second listing down.

Quote:
Jewellery Designer

Posted:1/6/2012

Your role will be to assist the director with designs for both clients and also new collections. The opportunity to work for us will not only allow you to develop your existing design skills, but also give you a unique opportunity to work alongside and increase your existing knowledge about precious gemstones.

Jooal is a small business and as such, day to day duties will also include merchandising and setting up the showcases in store, assisting clients and travelling to and from the workshop with stones and jewellery.

Rachelle Maxwell
Jooal Fine Jewellery
32 Berkeley Street
Mayfair
London, W1J 8EL
United Kingdom
Phone:

0207 409 2720

E-mail:

london@jooalinternational.com

Web:

http://www.jooalinternational.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:46 pm 

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
Never hurts to check the GIA's Job database which is always publicly available to serve all people within our industry.
Although the job listings are mostly in the US, international listings are also posted.

Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

I like this interesting bit in David Yurman's listing:

"The ability to “Sight ID” standard gemstones would be a plus."

I guess as long as it's not a photo, it's okay :wink: .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

:x You'd think someone from GIA might want to review these ads.

The ones that used to irk me were the ones looking for GGs and willing to start them at minimum wage.

Burger King would at least throw in a free lunch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm 
Gold Member

Barbra Voltaire wrote:
The ones that used to irk me were the ones looking for GGs and willing to start them at minimum wage.

You mean that some people are willing to pay? These guy's are in my neck of the woods and they want you to work for free for 6 months at 20 hours per week. I'm not quite sure that this is legal in this state, though they probably call it "education" in order to avoid paying minimum wage.

Quote:
Job Title: Appraisal Lab Internship
Company Name: Northwest Gemological Laboratory
Job Type: Part Time
Job Category: Appraiser
Salary: This is a non monetary position.
Job Description: Northwest Gemological Laboratory (NGL) located in Bellevue, Washington is pleased to offer internship positions for GIA Graduate Gemologists, Gem-A DGA/FGAs or students enrolled in either program. This is an opportunity to gain valuable career skills with one of the nation’s leading independent appraisers of antique to contemporary fine jewelry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Actually, if they are willing to teach appraising it might not be that bad of a gig. Of course, not being an appraiser, I don't know if this would be a good way to learn or not. Perhaps one of our appraisers will speak up about this :) .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next