Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Wanna topaz rough? :D
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:18 pm 
Gold Member

This is just too blatant a scam not to share... :lol:

If you are looking for a GORGEOUS blue topaz rough, stop looking! I've found the PERFECT piece for you.
In the description they highlight how this stone is a TOPAZ, from BRAZIL, NATURAL, and (of course) UNTREATED (no enhancement). But the Country/Region of manufacture is listed as "India".

They don't list it as such, but I'm pretty sure that the material is also cobalt-bearing! :P Too bad for the inclusions and cracks, but this material is SO rare that you can forgive some flaws...

Post subject: Re: Wanna topaz rough? :D
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:30 pm 
Gold Member

maialetto wrote:

They don't list it as such, but I'm pretty sure that the material is also cobalt-bearing!

Too funny.... =D>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:39 pm 
Gold Member

Yes very humorous indeed. Hey but the eBay seller has a positive feedback of (1), that's not going to last long.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:56 pm 
Gold Member

While looking at the listing you posted, I see another "Earthmined London Blue Topaz Natural Gemstone Rough 618.25 Ct Certified Y9316" eBay item number:303715215900, Seller even notes it is "Certificate is Online Traceable. Free Certification." A great deal at about .08$ a carat, I guess you would have to buy it to see the AGI certificate.
Although this seller has quite a feedback count. If you review the negative feedback left in the last month, it tells you what you need to know if one was considering this purchase. BEWARE you are probably going to get glass.
What a shame eBay....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:55 am 

Always fun to see what stones are being sold as "natural and untreated". I remembering buying a few gems online through eBay back when I was first taking my jewellery design course and I've been going through what those stones actually are now that I've done my gemmology. The "eBay specials" as we called them even in the class haven't all been bad, some were natural stones (topaz and quartz varieties mainly) and others were at least synthetics of what they had professed to be (corundum and spinel) but there was a pack that was nothing but glass or soudé style imitations or some weird, and in my mind random, synthetic / synthetic doublet mix.

I seem to remember that there were some that we were told you'd be able to trust while others were a buyer beware for sure, checking seller feedback is definitely helpful. The nice thing I will say about eBay is their dispute process is pretty good at this point. As long as I used PayPal for the purchase if I was scammed I just needed a couple of pictures or an explanation on why I thought so and I'd get my money back pretty quick.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:13 pm 
Gold Member

S. Rautiainen wrote:
Always fun to see what stones are being sold as "natural and untreated". I remembering buying a few gems online through eBay back when I was first taking my jewellery design course and I've been going through what those stones actually are now that I've done my gemmology. The "eBay specials" as we called them even in the class haven't all been bad, some were natural stones (topaz and quartz varieties mainly) and others were at least synthetics of what they had professed to be (corundum and spinel) but there was a pack that was nothing but glass or soudé style imitations or some weird, and in my mind random, synthetic / synthetic doublet mix.

I seem to remember that there were some that we were told you'd be able to trust while others were a buyer beware for sure, checking seller feedback is definitely helpful. The nice thing I will say about eBay is their dispute process is pretty good at this point. As long as I used PayPal for the purchase if I was scammed I just needed a couple of pictures or an explanation on why I thought so and I'd get my money back pretty quick.

Yes agreed to a point.
As a long time seller of different status's on eBay, dating back to to the mid 1990's. My point of shame on eBay is the fact that a seller can continue to miss-represent a product even when their feedback exposes that they may be doing so. Buyer protection is what it is on eBay, but legit sellers get that used against them, for any reason that a buyer may deem they want to use it. Yes who is to say that the buyer leaving negative feedback is a final word on "I received glass" not a natural gem as advertised. But as a seller and long time seller, you know that the buyer is needed far more on eBay than a seller. Anyway it is what it is. The monthly fees that sellers generate for eBay are the platform in my opinion.