January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Paypal issue - Chargeback
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:06 am 

Hi all,

I do a fair bit of online business and I thought I would let everyone know about an issue I have had with paypal.

I sold a Sapphire to a guy in the UK through the website I use. He paid by PayPal same day & his items were shipped the next day. After about 8 days, which we believe after he received the items, i received an email notification from PayPal that his payment had been reversed & paid back to his account. Upon checking with PayPal, it was due to him making a direct request to his bank, his bank instructed PayPal to do the reversal so PayPal has no choice but to follow the bank's instruction. PayPal is not able to help further, what they able to do at the moment is to monitor his account activity.

Basically it boils down to this:
1) He used a credit card to make the purchase. If he tells the credit card company he lost the card, the card has been used without authority or that the item received is not as described, the credit card issuer will notify paypal to reverse the charges.
2) I use paypal in Australia, which according to T&C's, if you are outside of the USA, you get no seller protection
3) I sent the stone via EMS registered. He signed for the package and his name is in the EMS system as having recieved it.
4) It turns out that 3 other sellers on the same website had the same problem.

There is not much we can do about it. I contacted the UK online fraud authority who where interested but needed more complaints about the person to act. So please be careful with Paypal and be prepared to not get paid ever now and then. :D

Post subject: Re: Paypal issue - Chargeback
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:09 am 

We'll have to ask Barbra but listing that sucker's details here would be a good start.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 am 
Site Admin

If his identity was stolen and the complaint is legit it should be easy to prove with the shipping address.

If the goods went to an address other than the fellow whose account it was, that could seem like identity theft was involved. If the items went to the billing address for the account, that's another story.

I think it is beyond the core intention of this platform to name and post personal information for individuals on the basis of unsubstantiated suspicions.

It is a legal, possibly a criminal, matter between PayPal and the seller.

Furthermore, it is always a good idea to insist on shipping to the primary address listed with PayPal or the billing address associated with a credit card.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm 
Gold Member

Here is a facebook group that deals in these types of issues.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/332852510128313/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:52 pm 

I don't think I want to name him on this site. I don't think it woud help anyway. He can just keep using different names through paypal.

Barbra, he was a verified user in paypal with a verified address. I sent the Sapphire registered mail to Mr X and it was signed by Mrs X. The proof is all in the documentation.

At the end of the day it is a loop hole in global purchasing. If someones credit card had been stollen and used unintentionally, then for sure paypal and the credit card issuer must have a way of refunding that money. At the same time however, the same process opens up an avenue to fraud by allowing people to simply calim that the card was stolen or miss used.

I hope none of you experience this problem :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 pm 
Gold Member

You should contact the bank with the details of the delivery. They don't want their customers using them for fraud. I'll bet Paypal would cooperate with a transfer of information to help you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

You might bet better luck with the Post Office - this is a clear case of mail fraud if you've got documented signatures and delivery information.

Mail fraud in general tends to be looked at very severely, and depending on the country can be a federal offense.

Can't hurt to give your post office a call with the details and see if they will follow up.

-Allan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

I wish everyone who gets scammed online should publish details of scammer. In that way you help others to not engage in business with the scammer and making it harder by having him/her creating new accounts all the time. I would, no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm 
Established Member

Industry wide black lists are a wonderful thing, but too easy to abuse. I see this topic has aged a bit, was it ever resolved? The post office idea sounded like it could work.