January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: new take on an old issue?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:18 am 
Platinum Member

haha...look who's back!
Wait...where is my tanzanite at? It didn't make the cut....ahhh...here it is.
http://www.schoolofgemology.com/Newslet ... tionII.pdf
Sold that tanzanite to Frank Schaffer, who cut it into gemstones. Conny asked for the cuttings left over from that crystal, so I asked Frank if he had them still, and he said yes. He was supposed to send them to me, so I could forward them on to Conny for him to check out. It's been a long time since then though, and I still haven't heard anything about it, and I have even asked here recently too.

Kill the andesine ..please! I almost didn't get into gemstones and rough back in '08 because all the damn chatter and talk was about andesine...andesine...andesine......jeez.

Attachments:
tanzy 1.jpg
tanzy 1.jpg [ 65.49 KiB | Viewed 3716 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:14 am 

I remember this one. The fracture showing thr pueple pleochroism still gives me a headache.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 pm 
Valued Contributor

Though it only serves as a corollary (and a pretty dark one as t that), I'd like to share a story. I think it highlights a personal belief that, in the absence of a community sharing hard-to-discuss poor experiences openly, we take away from reputation's role in passive regulation of communities.

I was a part of a group of people who used to throw electronic music-centric get togethers, always for free. Due to the lack of $$ to do this at venues, we described the act as setting up 'temporary autonomous zones' in forests/abandoned buildings/under highway underpasses. In these TAZs, we would kind of declare it exempt from the typical sociopolitical/legal/cultural norms that govern how people interact with eachother so that strange interesting connections could happen that might not otherwise when the normal rules apply. Participation in organizing some event was not something you asked permission from someone for, instead you would just make it happen. While this was an amazing community, a lack of willingness to speak in an openly disparaging way about others, it took quite a while for people to realize that one specific individual was a wolf in sheep's clothing and had made inappropriate uninvited contact with most of the women attending at some point over the years, and yet almost everyone was surprised when they learned that their encounter was not unique once one person decided to just state their personal experience as openly as they would share any other fact about what happened to them.

I don't think there is much danger in people simply narrating their personal interactions with RJ... No vitriol, no attacks, and no sarcasm. I doubt any resource would be more effective in steering people in the right direction than reading a few of those.

(As an alternative way to read this, if this was one of the gazillion simulations being run testing strategies in a game theory experiment for economics or biology, I think this would not be one of better runs of the experiment. The proof is in the off-tasting pudding that is the perception/reputation of the gem trade as a whole. I'm obviously excluding safe havens like GO... I don't think it's a love of gemstones that ties this community together more than anything else. It's the enjoyment we seem to get out of learning and sharing knowledge with one another in the absence of highschol-style cliques and feuds.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:54 pm 
Gold Member

Just a quick observation.

Why would you be surprised that in a group of people who had no respect for other people's property rights, they would respect other people's personal rights?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 am 
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure if you didn't read closely, or I didn't describe clearly enough The spaces that we used were always either land not owned by any municipality (crown land as they can it in Canada) or factories that had been out of use for like 15-2o years. We always left then in better condition than we found them, made sure we were far enough to not bother anyone with noise. We were respectful to the point that the police would actually find our events and tell us to simply make sure everyone was safe and taken care of and leave us to keep going

We were absolutely respectful of property. If you saw an abandoned property before and after our events... You would think someone hired a clean up crew to work the site.

Sometimes you are just being presumptuous to assume the worst of people simple because they want more out of life than what society has decided is 'alloted' to someone of their background/class/ethnicity/etc, and that they are necessarily not respectful/considerate.

Furthermore, I am references an issue cause by one person out of community that managed to have multiple years of events with essentially no problems of violence/theft/non-respectful resolution of disagreement/conflict. It showed me that we did a far better job of regulation than any similar organization I've ever heard of. It's unfortunate that that was your takeaway from my description. Any street festival in a major city proves itself to be far more dangerous time and time again.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:40 am 

I think public discussion may lag on some topics for fear of a frivolous lawsuit or other reprisal/harassment.
On this particular topic there's been quite a bit of discussion online already which is readily available one googlin' away.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:28 am 
Gold Member

I suppose if you took someone piece of jewelry without permission, wore it to a party, had it it cleaned before returning it, that would be OK. It fits the model of your use of property without permission but returning it cleaner than when you took it perfectly.

To "declare it exempt from the typical sociopolitical/legal/cultural norms" explicitly grants permission to act outside of legal boundaries.

No, theft is theft, and ones "lot in life" doesn't excuse it. Using someone's property without permission is theft. I have had people do exactly what you have described on my property. So I see this from a property owners perspective. I guess that is my "lot in life".