January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Scams and Rips
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:41 am 
Platinum Member

Thought we should share some wisdom of the ways we or friends have been scammed or ripped off.. the better to avoid them.. so here's one..

A FoaF was in africa doing a deal for a huge chunk of Aquamarine, about the size of a cantalope from what I understood.. He had tested the stone and in the final negotiations, the sellers said ".. Well, throw in your dichroscope on the deal and we'll agree..." having complemented him on it before. So the stone goes into the vault, the dichroscope changes hands, and next morning, as the money wire comes in, the stone comes out of the vault, and sans dichroscope, leaves for home..

When he gets home, he discoverers that he's just bought a perfectly cast GLASS replica of the aquamarine.. and having no back up dichroscope, had nothing to do a final check with..

I don't think I'll make any gem instrument I would have in the field part of a deal..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:22 am 
Valued Contributor

Great idea for a post!

Did your friend ever manage to trace the seller and get his money back? Im guessing not :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:03 pm 
Valued Contributor

This was going to be my retirement plan. :lol:
A couple is looking at solitaire diamonds about one carat in a store. At the end of the presentation the owner of the store finds he is one short. He assumes one was dropped and commences a search which turns up nothing. Guests are asked to shake clothing and finally to step into an adjoinging room to have clothes removed and shook. Still no ring. Clients leave in a huff.
Next day young lady from the couple shows up with a lawyer, demanding a cash settlement or she would sue for having to have been disrobed and searched. Owner goes to back of store and calls his lawyer, who tells him just to hold on and not do anything without talking to him further. The owner goes back out to talk to the young lady and her lawyer and find they have left the store. Baffled, he returns to his chores, never finds the ring, and eventually forgets....until...
He has a good year and gets new show cases. While they are removing the old cases they find a wad of bubble gum stuck on the bottom on the diamond case, with the impression of a diamond solitaire in it. Yep, young lady returned and picked up the ring she stuck there the night before.
I need a couple of helpers, I could pass for the lawyer.

Post subject: Re: Scams and Rips
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 am 
Valued Contributor

That gum has DNA and some good CSI may get a conviction?.......w