January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A ripoff attempt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:43 pm 
Platinum Member

So, I have this little macy's black sapphire / diamond ring I tossed on craigslist, got an inquiry so I told em to send a phone number, and got this back:

Quote:
Am happy with your reply to my mail ,I would like to proceed with the payment. I'm buying it for someone special as a gift.My form of payment would be via(Alertpay) for you have your fund quicker and faster,you can read more about Alertpay at www.alertpay.com .Not to delay this transaction, i would proceed with payment as soon as you agree with my mode of payment. i would need your name and valid email address. once the payment is verified and confirmed by alert pay, you will ship. additional $70 would be included to cover shipping cost via Usps post office express mail. Hope to hear from you today.
Thanks

Hmmm.. what's wrong with this picture.. lessee, grammer is not competent english speaker. No phone. Payment via alertpay?? What is that?? A quick dash to ripoffreport.com and they come up bad news. I ship after payment is verified and confirmed, not when I get the money. He's also sending me $70.00 extra for a $15.00 express mail service??? Appealing to my "unbridled greed"??! Can't sign his name?

Busted! Just another scammer trolling for bites. Craigslist has them haunting it... besides i decided to pop that black sapphire out and put a ruby in instead.. at least you can SEE that return light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:08 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Thanks for the alert, jleb. I'm getting ready to put some things up on craigslist and it's nice to know about this kind of thing in advance! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:26 pm 
Established Member

Did you forward the information to Craigslist? They are proactive when it comes to scamming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:14 pm 
Gold Member

Dorian Gray wrote:
Did you forward the information to Craigslist? They are proactive when it comes to scamming.

Really jleb, send it to Craigslist. At minimum, a complaint can be filed by Craigslist with ICANN and an ISP and possibly shut the site down (does not always happen though).

Post subject: Re: A ripoff attempt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:57 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

The guy is alive and still doing it.He wanted to buy my 18 carat sunstone and have me ship it to a different address and was gonna add 50$ but would go through pay pal.He wanted my account and pass word.jeez how dumb do they think we are

The guys email adress is ...lol coninisteve666@ (an email account).com !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: coning is steve

anybody else ever get an email from him?

I know this is an old thread ......are the original participants still alive?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:54 am 
Platinum Member

LOL..good headsS up they John..speaking of craiglist..on saturday spoke with a lady who just had a friend 2 weeks ago..a 26 years old..she saw an ad on craigslist..for "mystery shopping" job..I am sure you have heard of them..they are legit jobs but guess what..she answered this ad..they wanted to mystery shop..any guesses..western union..this girl actually had them send here 2 chekcs for $1000 each..she cashed at her credit union(if it was a bank they would have held funds until clear)..they told her to keep $100 from each and send $900 from both back to them and then tell them how well the process worked..guess where one of the $900 went..yep..thats right..Nigeria and one $900 to London..I sh*t you not..true story..happened 2 weeks ago with a friend of a friend..LOL..I had no idea stupid people like that were out there..ignorant yea..bad decisions yea, but that is just stupid with a capital ..here in Atlanta this happened..Credit union helped her out..once the checks bounced they gave her a $2000 loan to cover the money they had given her..LOLOL..it even says at the top of the craigslist ad..Do not send money western union, moneygram, etc. I don't know this person and thank god for that..also thank god she doesn't have any kids either..wow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:23 pm 
Gemology Online Veteran

That is currently happening here in this area and NOT associated with craigslist or any other site. It's happening with a phone call. There have been 2 people that have been caught up in it and LUCKILY, they both banked at places that were aware of this and stopped them from doing it as well as getting the police involved. The newspaper has published 2 articles asking people to be aware of this scam over the last 2 months.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:22 am 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

This summer, friend was selling some store fixtures on Craig's List, guy contacts her, says he want to buy, she says cash at pick up (as advertised), first one to show up with the cash takes the items... he starts to arrange different scenarios, calls several times a day, wants to pay more for her to hold it all for him (a lot more)... now he can't pick it up himself, will mail her a check, wants her to pay cash to the guys he sends to pick up the furniture, the check she receives will cover that and more for her trouble... she says cash at pick up... he continues to argue, calling her 6-8 times a day with variations on his plan, the pick up guys will have the check but they want to be paid cash to move the items... he'll give her $100's more...(for used display cases) etc, he won't stop calling so she goes to the police, they tell her several people have been scammed like this, says the check will not be local and before it clears the money will be gone even if she calls to check the bank... they offer to meet with the "mover" guys
they set it all up and the movers don't show up, someone tries to break into the shop that night.
She did sell the items, finally, but said there were several with similar plans...
I sold my car on Craig's list, but I made the conditions really tough, the young man who purchased said it was a reason he met me to look at the car, he didn't want to be hit on the head and robbed either.
Not that crime didn't used to happen but, it's a different world.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:44 am 

I've had the shopping scam in my mail box. They didn't mention anything about money orders at first and I have been a IRL mystery shopper once. But the fee was a lot higher than usual so I checked the scam sites and deleted the mail.

Resently I also had someone mail me because he wanted to buy some of my crystals. Tried about five different ways of not paying with PayPal and disappeared when I insisted. I mean, if there was something he really wanted he would find a friend with a PayPal account. He must have had a good scam going because he was only looking to spend $50 but I figure it would have developed into me taking cash out for him if I had taken the bait.

- Karin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 am 
Gemology Online Veteran

Be careful, if a buyer wants you to ship to any address other then that identified by pay pal as the shipping address....I was selling an old ut for someone and the buyer insisted we ship to where they were moving to...so I talked to pay pal...if I had done that they could have said the item never arrived and I wouldn't have had a sign receipt that said it was accepted at their shipping address and pay pal would have refunded their 1700$ and I would have had a not so pleased woman on my hands....I was concerned as it was my first ebay sale ever. Glad I was careful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 pm 

Natives of Nigeria and Ghana favor the use of "Am" rather than "i am" for some reason.
Must be to do with Pidgin grammar.
It is an infallible sign that your correspondent is from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 am 
Gold Member

Craigslist is not intended as an international sales venue. On the left side of the main page are two links: "avoid scams and fraud", and "personal safety." If you follow the recommendations there, it's very unlikely that you'll be successfully scammed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Quite right, Al.