January 24 Through February 4—TUCSON, ARIZONA: Annual show
Welcome to the GemologyOnline.com Forum
A non-profit Forum for the exchange of gemological ideas
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi to all!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:36 pm 
New to the Forum or The Quiet Type

I'm so excited to have found this place!

I've always said I wanted to be a gemologist, ever since I was a kid playing with my rock tumbler and trying to identify the rocks and gems I bought at long-gone stores in the Great Smoky Mountains area. Now that I'm an adult, I find myself with the opportunity to make it happen.

I think I want to work toward being a jewelry appraiser, or perhaps a jewelry designer. Problem is, I'm currently traveling the U.S. with my husband, who is a traveling nurse. His assignments are usually around 3-4 months at a time, so I'm never in one place long enough to take on site classes. Which means designing is probably something to think about for the future.

I'm considering giving the ISG courses a try while I'm traveling, since they are offered completely online rather than requiring some on site labs. I know they aren't regarded as much in the industry, but it seems it might be a useful place to start while I just build up my basic knowledge. I could be wrong though. ;)

Whatever route I take, I'm looking forward to following my childhood passion once again. Should be much more exciting than my current job at a certain well known over priced coffee chain.

Post subject: Re: Hi to all!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:21 pm 
Gemology Online Royal Princess

Welcome aboard, Misto! Glad you found us :D .

Speaking as one who has taken the ISG Registered Gemologist courses, I think you would be satisfied with the quality of the education offered. If you're not sure, you can take the Introduction to Gemology Course to get a feel for it. Single courses are also available, which are applied toward the RG or RGA should you go forward.

Don't forget there are also FREE, yes FREE!, courses available through the links on the left side of this forum :D .

<-------------------------------